downhillrider

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
So if I'm understanding this, as a ATT US customer, I will have to wait until late november to pickup a WIndows 8 Phone? I was hoping it would be maybe a week into November. The S3 or Note 2 may have gotten my money.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Guys if you think AT&T is worse - listen to this: In the UK we don't even know who will stock what phone yet. EE - a new network, 4G, with the most expensive plans (beats even US plans!) is the only option so far for Lumia 920 with exclusivity! So, be thankful at least AT&T is getting it!

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
No. A "launch" is supposed to LAUNCH. Not with "coming soon" and no details (for the fourth time in a row).
Microsoft doesn't have complete control over carriers and OEMs. Rogers is launching the Lumia tomorrow. It would be far more stupid if Microsoft held the event after Rogers launched it.

You already know it's launching in November, maximum of four weeks. What is the big deal?

downhillrider

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft doesn't have complete control over carriers and OEMs. Rogers is launching the Lumia tomorrow. It would be far more stupid if Microsoft held the event after Rogers launched it.

You already know it's launching in November, maximum of four weeks. What is the big deal?

Well as a 1Gen user 4 weeks is a big deal to me. I passed on the 900 (tough decision but the right one) and was one of the people who thinks WP8 should have been released weeks ago. Not purely for myself but for the overall health of WP. They had a unique oppurtunity with alot of people not sure about the iPhone 5 to really grab some sales and they didnt.

So now it looks like the earliest AT&T customers will get a WP is the 11th but probably later. Ive been out of contract for a year, just waiting for WP8, sadly even after today there is no date. So I made the decision like 15 minutes ago to buy a Samsung Galaxy S3 in full and save my contact another year and see what happens with the (alleged)Surface phone and see what new phone Nokia and Samsung have later next year. It will be nice to not carry around my WP and iPhone 4s.

I know 1 person making this decision isnt a big deal, but for a big WP fan it kinda sucks.

Reeves

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site

I'm befuddled at this reasoning. If it's no big deal, why have an event at all? Why not just run some commercials with the date whenever it's announced like a movie? Or even cheaper, just put out press releases? What does it matter?

Oh, that's right.....this is a niche operating system that needs to maximize every possible opportunity and asset to succeed in a hyper-competitive landscape. That means laser-focused launches that execute AT LEAST as well as an Apple or Samsung. But that's not the case for any of the hardware devices. And as for the OS, the reviews are good, if not spectacular. But is a good review of a new operating system supposed to sway someone from buying the same iOS and Android devices their friends use? I think not.

I'm not saying the platform is doomed or I'm jumping ship. But I'm not going to act like today was no big deal and Microsoft hit a home run. They didn't. Four straight WP8-related events with few launch details is a disaster.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm befuddled at this reasoning. If it's no big deal, why have an event at all? Why not just run some commercials with the date whenever it's announced like a movie? Or even cheaper, just put out press releases? What does it matter?

Oh, that's right.....this is a niche operating system that needs to maximize every possible opportunity and asset to succeed in a hyper-competitive landscape. That means laser-focused launches that execute AT LEAST as well as an Apple or Samsung. But that's not the case for any of the hardware devices. And as for the OS, the reviews are good, if not spectacular. But is a good review of a new operating system supposed to sway someone from buying the same iOS and Android devices their friends use? I think not.

I'm not saying the platform is doomed or I'm jumping ship. But I'm not going to act like today was no big deal and Microsoft hit a home run. They didn't. Four straight WP8-related events with few launch details is a disaster.

I would imagine they are having an event because BUILD is also tomorrow?

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site

Actually, no, I don't know that. If I wanted a Lumia 920, I don't know when I will get it or how much it will cost. Fail.

Actually, EPIC fail, because this is the fourth (and supposedly "final") launch event, and we know nothing substantive about the 920 that we didn't already learn at its unveiling MONTHS ago.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Actually, no, I don't know that. If I wanted a Lumia 920, I don't know when I will get it or how much it will cost. Fail.

Actually, EPIC fail, because this is the fourth (and supposedly "final") launch event, and we know nothing substantive about the 920 that we didn't already learn at its unveiling MONTHS ago.

I will get my 920 around Nov 11th and I already preordered it from Best Buy.

You were never getting a 920. You probably don't even have AT&T.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
I never said the event wasn't a big deal. I said four weeks isn't a big deal. I've been waiting since August for a new device, which, by the way, is coming "end of November" in my country. I'm not alone in such a wait.

So what do you want them to do? Not announce the OS at all, and leave users and the media to scramble for details from a leaked SDK? Announce the OS through a press release, which no one will read and will get little coverage? They are launching the 920 tomorrow in Canada. They do not have leverage with the carriers.

You sound like a child here. The device launches in November. You know the device was on pre-order for $150. It's not magically going to cost $300.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Guys if you think AT&T is worse - listen to this: In the UK we don't even know who will stock what phone yet. EE - a new network, 4G, with the most expensive plans (beats even US plans!) is the only option so far for Lumia 920 with exclusivity! So, be thankful at least AT&T is getting it!

Lol, people here will never be satisfied.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I've had AT&T since it was Cingular. I've never had issues with coverage.

AT&T always got the coolest new phones, so I've stuck with them since coverage here has been excellent.

DJRedLine

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site

Phones4U are also getting the L920. But still unsure if they will offer it on other carriers.

i'm hoping that EE will only have exclusivity on the 4G version. as i'm looking to pick up the L920 on a Voda contract through phones4u.

Otherwise i will get the 8x through voda direct

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Phones4U are also getting the L920. But still unsure if they will offer it on other carriers.

i'm hoping that EE will only have exclusivity on the 4G version. as i'm looking to pick up the L920 on a Voda contract through phones4u.

Otherwise i will get the 8x through voda direct

So is it Vodafone and EE the only two choices for Lumia 920? I was so hoping that CPW will have it unlocked SIM-free, but that doesn't look like an option anymore.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
those of you who are falling out of contract in the meantime should save your dollars, dump ATT for Straight Talk, and buy the phone from a Microsoft Store (which WAS announced) unlocked when they arrived. Vote with your dollars and next time the major carriers will be more sensitive to customer needs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo