The Feature Request Thread

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
The scrolling of the news items is really jerky, not really noticed it much before. In portrait it is not too bad, in landscape it judders like mad.

EngineerTuna

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I know this ll be a little bit wierd ( Articles, Reviews and everything in WPCentral app are in English) but i'm volunteer for Turkish translation. Some users posted on Store Review.
I even tweet Jay Bennet about it. I don't know if there is or will be a plan but i am all yours.

Thanks for making such a great app.

BatteryLife

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
I recommend doing something about the page load in forums... When switching pages, the app is jerky and slow. Going to next page/previous page is always a hit or miss.

Furthermore, I think it will be useful to have an offline mode. As in if the app sense that the user have no internet connection, notify user once and that's it. Or else the constant nagging of the application really annoys me.

Kudos to Jay for this nice application! 😉

P.S. Commenting in the forums is lagggggg

Nik Rolls

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Just got the latest update today. Nice tweaks, good to see the bullet point issue fixed. But shouldn't there be a space between the bullet point and its text? And preferably an indent to the bullet point so you can easily see it from the rest of the text.

ArthJar

May 26, 2013
Visit site
It would be really great if you joined this trend of putting custom sounds for notifications in your app. Also, while you're at it, update the Microsoft Extras section with the new name for SkyDrive.

Ankit Nawlakha

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
With Windows Phone 8.1 Update knocking our doors...
Will WPCentral App get some Windows Phone 8.1 refreshment..???
M talking about WPCentral app to be updated With some awesome Windows Phone 8.1 features!!

Last edited:

One day

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site
1) Allow configuration of displaying only Windows Phone news (as in the name of the app). I do not want to see garbage like xbox games, as don't 90% of the WP users I'm sure (unless the devs got greedy and are doing spam ads for $$$ in which case it means WPCentral is losing its value for people like me).

2) Allow transparent background for live tile so it does not ruin the 8.1's transparent tiles feature. The picture will remain when it flips, but the background of the headlines will be transparent. Shouldn't be hard really.

WPCentrail has been my favorite live tile app and I convinced several of my friends to buy it. But these two issues I have listed, which can be very easily fixed, reduces the app's value for WP users IMO.

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
2) Allow transparent background for live tile so it does not ruin the 8.1's transparent tiles feature. The picture will remain when it flips, but the background of the headlines will be transparent. Shouldn't be hard really.

You are using a preview for developers which is not yet fully supported by apps. We will be updating in due time. For now please try using the iconic tile style in our app

Nik Rolls

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Jay. You're right, but as this is the feature request thread and WP8.1 has been announced then it's expected that 8.1 suggestions will come through.

To be fair, transparent tiles is not a new problem. Apps using JPG tiles have been breaking the accent experience for a long time. It's very annoying when updating your accent colour to have to open all the apps that have baked the color into their tile to force them to regenerate. Some people may not change their accent often, but many do it daily according to their mood (that's how the feature is described after all).

I usually contact developers of apps that create JPG tiles and their response is mostly to do with the current PNG libraries being bad at antialiasing text. However when I needed to do it for my own apps I was able to find a library that creates top quality PNG images in WP8 with 24bit transparency, and I didn't have to look far. I'm happy to share this library if you're interested.

So in summary, transparent tiles are not a new requirement to 8.1 and not hard to fix. Iconic is an ok solution but the custom tile style is still preferable.

duraz0rz

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
You are using a preview for developers which is not yet fully supported by apps. We will be updating in due time. For now please try using the iconic tile style in our app

I've noticed that the Iconic tile becomes the accent color after the tile updates for a little bit or when you access the app through the tile. It turns back transparent after the next tile refresh, it seems.

-- Before --
55BIBhdl.png

-- After --
Oy4JUOZl.png

zwuncki

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
It's VERY sad to see that the L1520 is out for about 6 months now and no full hd/resolution support of the WPC app here. The app looks ugly as hell on the L1520, way too big :-(

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
I don't know how many of these have already been said, or how many Jay is already working on, but (all for forums):
- Formatting-bold, italic, underline
- Uploading Pictures
- Inserting Picture & Video links (by inserting links
- Viewing formatting, pictures and videos as they would appear on the website (quotes are always at the top in the app even though they could be written as {top-to-bottom} quote, text, quote).
- I don't know if this is possible, but having videos play in the app instead of going to YouTube.
- I don't know if this is just a WP7.8 thing, but on my 900, whenever I touch "images" and the link shows up in the post as something like "forums.wpcentral.com/attachment", I am not ever able to view those in-app and always have to tap where I would be seeing the picture to see it in IE. However, after I do this, I get taken to WPCentral.com and get promoted to log in (if I am not already) or register for an account, even though i can view the image without being logged in and going to the forum link in IE.

I can clarify that last suggestion if I need to.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett