Why can't we get a free full version app of WPCentral as new year gift for wp users??

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Seriously folks? Provide a better reason other than "because it's free on other platforms". That is a weak argument that holds no real strength. Try putting more thought into your position. Why should Jay devalue his work to satisfy a couple of people who expect to be just given something for nothing. Claiming that you're "just observing" or "just wishing for" it gives only a sense of whining and wheedling.

Get your wallet out and pay the $0.99. It's not a lot of money at all.

Alternatively, as noted by someone else, you can build up enough Bing Rewards points to get the app for free and still support Jay by "paying" via the Reward you get.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
This is not a true statement. All of the die hard WP fans have already spent the buck to support Jay Bennett because he's the guy who wrote the app.
But...I can't pay for it...(sobs)

No matter, I'm trying to help him with bug-testing, which is also arguably an important job.
(So important, that I helped him squash a bug that rendered the app useless on lower-end WP8 devices!)

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
isn't the android and iOS apps free ?

Yep and they don't have near the features of the WPC app. Jay puts in 1000% more effort into this app than the simple free versions for the other Mobile Nations apps. Get a $3 WP app card for free using Bing rewards points. So damn easy to get.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Yep and they don't have near the features of the WPC app. Jay puts in 1000% more effort into this app than the simple free versions for the other Mobile Nations apps.

True, any 3rd party developer deserves to be compensated. But I still wonder why Mobile Nations doesn't provide a WPCentral app for WP.

rcazador

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Putting the free demands aside, why not a full featured ad supported trial? Many great third party apps like NextGen Reader, mytube,etc. Offer this. With the ads Jay will still earn his due. So this policy of buy or forfeit features is just poor taste.

To those saying,' if you like apps on other platforms, shift to them'. I think Joe Belfiore and most of the real WP users will disagree with that thought. Smartphones are all about apps. I'm not suggesting that a deluge of pointless fart apps are in order, however we all need a core set if good apps to get by. The WPC app is one of those core apps.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
But...I can't pay for it...(sobs)

No matter, I'm trying to help him with bug-testing, which is also arguably an important job.
(So important, that I helped him squash a bug that rendered the app useless on lower-end WP8 devices!)

Ok - we'll cut some slack for the person without a credit card. :wink:

But no, bug-testing is not arguably important - it IS important! So for the one who can't make the purchase, you get advance use of the newest version!

Oh - I just thought of something!! You're using WP8, right? You can use Wallet, right? Clicking your name it looks like you're using a 620... If so, just say the word - I'll use some of my Bing rewards and get you a WP app gift card so you can buy Jay's app!

EDIT: I just went ahead and redeemed points for a $1.25 card. When I get the email with the code, I'll PM it to you.

EDIT 2: I got the email. Go check your PMs! :grin:

Last edited:

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
fair enough.

I think OP is just asking for a 'new year gift' :) It's Jay's app and he can do whatever he wants to.
Yeah, I suppose to be fair, not everyone, and possibly not very many at all, knows that the WPCentral app was NOT developed by WPCentral.

Kris Simundson

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The other apps are developed by Mobile Nations developers. Jay works for himself.

this right here people, the app on WP for WPC was made by a 3rd party dev without support from Mobile Nations. (Until recently, but they let him keep all profits as the payment afaik)

The other 'free' apps on other platforms is just a forum anyways which piggybacks off of Tapatalk forums.

You all are putting to much thought into this. PayPal, Carrier Billing, Credit Card, Pre Paid Credit Card, ask a friend, its not that hard to pay 99cents for something.

Hell, I've bought apps just to support devs. Half the time I spend the money, check it out, and its usually deleted if I don't see myself using it completely.

I think I probably spent a good $100 if not more in the BlackBerry app world in a few months alone just to support BB10 devs.

Again, its 99cents.

Sent from my Yellow Nokia Lumia 1020

kc77

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
If it was made free, the people that originally paid for it and supported the developer would feel screwed and demand refunds because everyone else just got it for free. It would be incredibly bad for the reputation if the website and developer. It costs money to develop and run these things and a small one time fee is well worth it to support the app.

Kris Simundson

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If it was made free, the people that originally paid for it and supported the developer would feel screwed and demand refunds because everyone else just got it for free. It would be incredibly bad for the reputation if the website and developer. It costs money to develop and run these things and a small one time fee is well worth it to support the app.

I wouldn't complain if it went free for a day. I do understand the OP's point of view.

But to sit here and demand it because you can't afford it, don't understand why its paid app, or are just that arrogant you feel you shouldn't have to pay because its "free" elsewhere, is where the issue lies.

I'll use another example that I recently encountered. I paid the $6.99 price tag for Halo, the next week it went free for the day. Oh well, I paid for a great game, and support the platform showing there are people willing to spend money, instead of waiting for things to be free.

Now I'm not implying your "cheap" for waiting for a sale or free for a day (I say this because I know people will view my words as so), but rather that you should make a effort to support not only the developers (especially indie devs), and most importantly the platform.

Sent from my Yellow Nokia Lumia 1020

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that the time it took to post the original post in this thread and the 35 replies so far have cost a heck of alot more than the original .99 being discussed. Time is money people!!

Sent from my RM-940 using magic....

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I wouldn't complain - I've bought apps that later went down or free. Did I lose a buck or did someone else get a great deal? Is it any different (other than being on a smaller scale) than buying a new shirt at retail and then seeing it on the clearance rack for 20% of the original price? If someone is going to get bent out of shape over paying a buck for an app and then later it goes free, they have much bigger problems than "losing" a buck.

JaiMento

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
The other 'free' apps on other platforms is just a forum anyways which piggybacks off of Tapatalk forums.

So, I checked out the other apps for the other platforms and I checked out the iMore and the Android Central apps. I believe the quoted above is a very valid point. You can't even really compare the WPCentral app on Windows Phone to the WPCentral app on other platforms. They aren't even the same. The app on Windows Phone is pretty much a complete mobile version for the site, while the WPCentral app on other platforms is just for the forums. Additionally, even looking at the iMore apps and the Android Central apps, they each have 2 separate apps for News and Forums, while the WPCentral app for Windows Phone is a single app that covers it all.

I think those 2 things (having access to both news and forums and to have it in a single app) alone, are worth the $0.99 price difference and that doesn't even speak to the extra time and effort that had to be placed on giving it the Windows Phone look and feel. Honestly, I'd rather pay $0.99 to have it as it is, then to not have to pay anything and be stuck with 2 separate apps or have no access to News.

Main point: The WPCentral app on Windows Phone is quite different than the WPCentral app for other platforms and it isn't really fair to compare them when arguing why the Windows Phone version isn't free when it is free on other platforms.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Main point: The WPCentral app on Windows Phone is quite different than the WPCentral app for other platforms and it isn't really fair to compare them when arguing why the Windows Phone version isn't free when it is free on other platforms.

But why hasn't Mobile Nations released a WP version of the WPCentral app like they have for the other platforms, even if it is for just the forum? I certainly agree that Jay deserves support, but why did Mobile Nations completely ignore WP?

JaiMento

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
But why hasn't Mobile Nations released a WP version of the WPCentral app like they have for the other platforms, even if it is for just the forum? I certainly agree that Jay deserves support, but why did Mobile Nations completely ignore WP?

Sure. That would be a much more valid argument than "The WPCentral app should be free, because it is free on other platforms." and one you can probably take up with whomever is in charge of app development for Mobile Nations. I'm not the most informed on the matter, so forgive me if I'm incorrect with that statement.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
My lord, can we just get a "sticky" thread for this? I don't think a week goes by that I don't see a thread or at least several posts complaining that the WPC app is not free. This has been covered ad nauseam. Put up a sticky, refer people to it, and delete redundant posts/threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes