Ads Playing Video/Audio on Load

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Ok - just had my first experience on this site of an ad playing video with audio on load. This is not acceptable. I do a lot of my posting to WPCentral from work, and this just will not work.

While on the subject, it seems we're back to ads that cause you to have to hit the back button a half a dozen times or more before the page actually goes back. Also a problem that leads to frustration.

Is there a way you (admins) can filter the ads to block out those that play audio/video on load and the ones that stick themselves in the back stack more than once?

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I've also noticed that the page takes a LOT longer to load enough to be responsive, which I am guessing has to do with video. As well, I'm getting messages in the notification bar that there is a long-running script, and asking if I want to stop it (of course!).

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
We have noticed and are working on those slow load times. Seems like the code for some ad units is causing the delay. Tech is aware and working the problem!

As far as ads w video, as I've said before and will say again, our ad partner manages our ad inventory for us, and we have limited control over what shows up. However, we CAN suggest changes or our disappointment in a particular ad or campaign (I always pass along the word for any really BAD ads)... so I will certainly take your points and make sure they are heard. It's the best we can do!

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, James. I appreciate anything you can do. Is there some way of at least muting audio on the ads that load and insist on playing, though?

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Suppose that would depend on the individual ad. I haven't seen any of the ads you speak of, but I'm in Canada, so perhaps they are targeted at US-only.

If all else fails... mute your speakers!? :(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon