antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I know it goes with the territory of phone forums, but sometimes I get sick and tired of all of the troll activity that comes out when there is any change or upgrade.

Millions went onto Developer Preview which by the nature of that title, clearly implies there is some risk, loss of warranty, and that whoever participates has the minimal brainpower to reverse their equipment back to a normal state.

But in the wake of one problem which MS was upfront about, all the grievances came in..

"I'm on AT&T; by the time Cyan hits, WP9 will already be here"
(Forgets that AT&T was the FIRST carrier to issue Lumia Black)

"WTF"

"Microsoft's blowing it"

"This is the worst update experience I have ever had"

"I put up with WP in spite of their terrible app selection"

"This is absolutely the last straw, I'm dumping WP for good"

And you know what? It's the same on every board. When I had my Vibrant and was on xda's forums, the same Litany of grievances and threats accompanied every single software change and upgrade. And everyone was always yapping about how terrible Android was and how they were going to go back to BlackBerry or iPhone.
In fact, I have to give BlackBerry users some credit - on my Bold there was one major OS update, and the forums didn't have any of the spoiled, vicious type whining that I read through on yesterday's Developer Preview issue.

Maybe I'm a ****** now, but coming from Android, I applaud Nokia and MS for making their updates frequent, reliable, pre-announced, and with the status mapped out. Google/Android did nothing like that from the start and it was amazing how much worse my phone would run after those updates - which at the time I corrected by flashing Cyanogen Mod.

So I wonder when I'm going to hear a poster threaten Nokia/Microsoft with a class action lawsuit?

HyperKid

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
i know it goes with the territory of phone forums, but sometimes i get sick and tired of all of the troll activity that comes out when there is any change or upgrade.

Millions went onto developer preview which by the nature of that title, clearly implies there is some risk, loss of warranty, and that whoever participates has the minimal brainpower to reverse their equipment back to a normal state.

But in the wake of one problem which ms was upfront about, all the grievances came in..

"i'm on at&t; by the time cyan hits, wp9 will already be here"
(forgets that at&t was the first carrier to issue lumia black)

"wtf"

"microsoft's blowing it"

"this is the worst update experience i have ever had"

"i put up with wp in spite of their terrible app selection"

"this is absolutely the last straw, i'm dumping wp for good"

and you know what? It's the same on every board. When i had my vibrant and was on xda's forums, the same litany of grievances and threats accompanied every single software change and upgrade. And everyone was always yapping about how terrible android was and how they were going to go back to blackberry or iphone.
In fact, i have to give blackberry users some credit - on my bold there was one major os update, and the forums didn't have any of the spoiled, vicious type whining that i read through on yesterday's developer preview issue.

Maybe i'm a ****** now, but coming from android, i applaud nokia and ms for making their updates frequent, reliable, pre-announced, and with the status mapped out. Google/android did nothing like that from the start and it was amazing how much worse my phone would run after those updates - which at the time i corrected by flashing cyanogen mod.

So i wonder when i'm going to hear a poster threaten nokia/microsoft with a class action lawsuit?

THIS IS HUMANITYYYYYYYYY!
They are never happy no matter what you do. Just wait until Android L stars rolling and then we'll see how much times does it take to reach to each phone and most of all....NEVER!
eg my 920 got GDR1,2,3,8.1,and so on and while poor GS3 will get stuck on KITKAT forever

d3ad connection

Jun 7, 2014
Visit site
Honestly, I just lurk here, but your post says pretty much everything I've been thinking as I scan the comments on every article and forum thread. For example, the whole thing about Bitlocker-enabled phones bricking has caused so much hysteria with all of these idiots. They keep making negative remarks about how crappy Microsoft products are and how much they hate WP (even though they stay with it) when they weren't even supposed to officially receive WP 8.1 until this big update. If they didn't use the Dev Preview, there would be no issues.

MikeLip

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
This sort of thing has been on boards like this from day one. I was here when this was a Palm board. You saw the same thing. May as well get over it and learn to sift the wheat from the chaff. It's not going away.

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Palm was pretty awful though. When the devices were the simple black&white, nothing could beat them. When they started modernizing, each product release was buggier than the previous and customer service was atrocious. I resolved for a long time to never use any such device ever again. Blackberry brought me in from the cold. I never made the jump to their buggy touch screen, but the Bold was a tank. Never had to call customer service once. But apps were expensive and they just didn't know how to innovate. So after 3 yrs moved to Android with the Vibrant. Probably would have bought an iPhone, but back then they were only selling through att and bricking anyone trying to jailbreak. Had fun with the Vibrant but after using a WP UI someone made for several months, I decided to give the real thing a try and so bought an HD7. Moved from that to Lumia 800, 900, 521 and 1020 with a 1-yr interruption on the 808 Pureview (between the 900 and 521). Have to say I'm very much in love still with W even with some of its warts and limitations..

MikeLip

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I disagree. Palm was awesome. Well, their smartphones sucked - especially when the screens spontaneously shattered. Yeah, they did that. But their PDAs were great. No one has put together a book reader anywhere near as good as you could get on the Palm. I particularly liked the ones that had continuous, speed controllable scrolling. Also, math apps. I keep my Tungsten IIe just for the math apps. There is nothing, on any platforms, that match some of the math apps that were available for Palm. It was like having Mathcad in the palm of your hand. Music players were everywhere and some of them were superb. So when Palm when belly up, it was a real loss.

Blackberry hit it's high water mark with OS6. The apps available for that were fantastic. And I know the Storm and Storm 2 were not popular, but I was one of the rare ones who really liked the Storm 2. Sadly, mine doesn't even light up anymore. OS7 was the death of BBOS. I am hoping BB10 brings them around, but there are still very few native OS10 apps, and the release rate seems to have gone down with the release of Snap and the ability to grab apps off Google Play directly - although installing Snap is a little arcane for some people.

I came from BB (several) to iOS to Android to WP. So far WP has been my favorite.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I disagree with both of you, Palm was meh.

I loved their devices, but saw stagnation (did someone order too many PXA270 CPUs by accident? it was used in everything)
and was kinda sad at the devices left in the dust. (the norm then, it wouldnt fly today)
I need to go, so maybe I'll pop in later.
I still poke around my Treo, considering getting a Pre again.

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I hear you on Palm; I forget the unit I had that I liked - it was the one right before Tungsten came out (Zire?). I loved it. Did an entire term paper on it and also did a course translation for an industrial society from English to Spanish. I even had the Bluetooth keyboard for it.

When Tungsten hit, I had nothing but problems. Then they changed customer service from Canada to India, and those Indian guys were real pricks. I couldn't get WiFi to connect anywhere; and they just blamed it on me. So that was when I threw the entire investment away.

Before Palm, I had a Zaurus that was pretty good - neat blue screen for night and even had a fax modem! But couldn't do international characters and had some other limitations.

I think to this day if Palm had their act together, they'd still be a major player. They truly revolutionized things back then.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkilDS