Please Consider Not ALL Users of This Forum Are Social Media Addicts.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Soon as I have to "Follow" or "Like" or whatever for a contest - I'm out. I simply refuse.

Unfortunately that seems to be the only way to get into ANY contests for Windows Central anymore.

Sad that you have to be a Social Media junky to get any swag around here. Why is participation at THIS site not the criteria? I have a long standing dislike for the social media craze. I find it annoying and invasive. Yet my lack of accounts at Twitter, Facebook, Instagram. wherever... make me feel like a discounted member of this site due to every contest now requiring participation somewhere else as a means of entry.

I thought this was Windows Central, not Social Media Central.

Please reconsider this recent and growing trend.

Michelle Haag

Staff member
Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
While we do mix things up and include Twitter/Facebook/etc as entry options, we always include an option to leave a comment or something else that isn't social media as a way to enter. We always strive to include as many people as possible in all of our contests, on all of our sites, but it's just not always feasible. Just like some contests are US only, and some are International... sometimes we'll ask those wishing to enter to do so in a different way, and if that way doesn't apply to you, just keep an eye out for the next contest. :)

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I too am not a Facebook or Twitter user, so I miss some. Same with Twitch or that other one recently, think it was Rotor....something or other. Although I did put that last one down to that particular company being the likely sponsor of the prize, so forgivable.

I like the ones where just a single comment will allow me to enter. The undiscovered gems giveaway was good, as you actually had to leave a constructive review.

Major Nelson is guilty too, he always requires a Twitter response, or something similar. And the whole "like" and "follow" business drives me nuts, reminds me of the needy kids from school/work. The company I work for has encouraged us to like them on sites, or join Yammer. Drives me potty.

However, I realise that I am in the minority.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've seen less of the leave a comment lately and way more of the Social Media component, with the exception of the weekly Photo Contest.

One recent contest that had leave a comment as an option earned one entry out of 11... The other 10 entries were all tied to Social Media.

Or look at this one: Win $5 of Microsoft account credit in our Dream of Pixels contest [Winners announced] | Windows Central where a comment entry is invalid without a Twitter AND a Twitch username inserted, plus you have to Follow the author of the piece.

I think the real contest is among the Blog writers to see who gets the most followers/likes/etc...

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Soon as I have to "Follow" or "Like" or whatever for a contest - I'm out. I simply refuse.

Unfortunately that seems to be the only way to get into ANY contests for Windows Central anymore.

Sad that you have to be a Social Media junky to get any swag around here. Why is participation at THIS site not the criteria? I have a long standing dislike for the social media craze. I find it annoying and invasive. Yet my lack of accounts at Twitter, Facebook, Instagram. wherever... make me feel like a discounted member of this site due to every contest now requiring participation somewhere else as a means of entry.

I thought this was Windows Central, not Social Media Central.

Please reconsider this recent and growing trend.

agreed

the forum does not exist to promote wpc as a product, or monetize its users data. ... it exists to allow people to communicate around a common interest.

sometimes these things are forgotten.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You raise a good point, but I just wanted to point out that having an account does not mean you're automatically a social media junkie. I have a twitter account, do I pop in often? hardly.

Michelle Haag

Staff member
Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
To me, it kind of boils down to this: We give away a LOT of free stuff to our readers, on all of our sites. If you want to enter, you have the option to. If you don't want to enter, because you don't like the entry methods, no one is forcing you to. Many people create twitter accounts solely for the purpose of entering contests, and the same for Facebook and Instagram and whatever else. But again, we're not forcing you to enter anything. The options are there and they are there for everyone, if you choose to not take them all then that's your decision. :)

That said, I will try to take your comments into consideration for future contests, however please understand that social media isn't going anywhere, and neither are those options for contest entry.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
To me, it kind of boils down to this: We give away a LOT of free stuff to our readers, on all of our sites. If you want to enter, you have the option to. If you don't want to enter, because you don't like the entry methods, no one is forcing you to. Many people create twitter accounts solely for the purpose of entering contests, and the same for Facebook and Instagram and whatever else. But again, we're not forcing you to enter anything. The options are there and they are there for everyone, if you choose to not take them all then that's your decision. :)

That said, I will try to take your comments into consideration for future contests, however please understand that social media isn't going anywhere, and neither are those options for contest entry.

Right... I could create a Twitface account, but that supports something I don't believe in and feel is actually detrimental to society.

So I guess I'm just cut out from the contest aspect for most instances on a site I do care about and believe in because I don't want to be hypocritical and inflate the usage statistics of something I am diametrically opposed to. Thanks for listening.

P1ng0fDeath

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
"detrimental", "hypocrital" wth? It's just a website. If you REALLY wanna participate get out of the confort zone and just create the damn account. Don't expect everything to adjust to you.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
"detrimental", "hypocrital" wth? It's just a website. If you REALLY wanna participate get out of the confort zone and just create the damn account. Don't expect everything to adjust to you.

This is a website... One dedicated to Windows. Participation at Facebook, Twitter, Twitch, Instagram, etc. has nothing to do with it. Or shouldn't.

I got my answer from a member of the Admin Team. Thank you for your input as well, but no, I won't be creating any such accounts.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Please don't confuse lack of support for lack of comprehension. I'm sure you quite understand my point even though you obviously don't support it.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I can cope with Facebook, Twitter et al, I just don't use them, and won't sign up to them to enter any competition. I just prefer the single meaningful comment route. Anything that does not require me to sign up to anything else or give my email out. I get enough spam as it is.

Last edited:

anon9169769

Banned
Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
I agree.... It seems like we are forced to create a twitter account just to get in with a chance to win....if I didn't create an account back then, then I wouldn't now. Fair enough you may think... Then I don't deserve to enter.... But to me its like keeping junk mail and replying to it just to win a comp. Personally no comp will ever be good enough to create a twitter account. This is not a moan and yes..... I am gutted I miss out on a Comp... But just be nice for wcentral to consider ALL readers to have A fair chance to enter a comp

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05