Why doesn't this site use Disqus or a similar functional comments system?

William Bergmann

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Commenting on stories on this site is like self-dentistry. Painful. Slow. Annoying.

Are there hidden advantages to the current comment system I'm not seeing? Facebook comments suck, too, but they at least suck less.

It would be really nice to be able to see responses to comments here whenever I visit any of the other sites that use Disqus.

To the first answer:

When I tried to reply to several comments today, it made me complete a 'Captcha' despite being logged in. When trying to follow up (to an e-mail notification, because it doesn't seem to notify you by your log-in), it took me to a screen that only shows the specific comment I was trying to respond to, and, after responding, it doesn't take you back to the larger comment thread- it leaves you only seeing the one comment and your response.

It's also slow in the respect to overall page loads when using IE, but that's probably my fault.

Last edited:

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Ever since they changed the theme of wpcentral, the site got an order of magnitude slower.

When they added comment ratings, it became near unusable (especially on mobile devices). The js code is just incredibly inefficient and it takes too long for mobile IE to process.

I just don't comment or read the comments anymore... There's generally not much with reading there anyway.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Are you kidding?? Disqus is such a pain and there are many lame people on it who you can't even ignore because no such function exists. I find absolutely nothing wrong with the commenting system on this website or forum.

bokchoy1

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Slow is better than nonfunctional in my opinion.

When I visit a site using Disqus with mobile IE, half the time the comments fail to load and I'm stuck with a loading 🔃 symbol and a timed out message that never changes.

My preference is to reply to comments through apps whenever possible. Right now I'm using Tapatalk. I also use the Windows Central app.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Slow is better than nonfunctional in my opinion.

When I visit a site using Disqus with mobile IE, half the time the comments fail to load and I'm stuck with a loading 🔃 symbol and a timed out message that never changes.

My preference is to reply to comments through apps whenever possible. Right now I'm using Tapatalk. I also use the Windows Central app.

But discuss does have a nice, functional WP app.

Honestly though the simplest solution is the best one. There's a forum thread created for every news article- the page article should just display posts from the thread. Then all they have to do is fix the fact that the forum is also insanely slow through browser (especially the mobile site). But at least then we can use the tapatalk app.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
But discuss does have a nice, functional WP app.

Honestly though the simplest solution is the best one. There's a forum thread created for every news article- the page article should just display posts from the thread. Then all they have to do is fix the fact that the forum is also insanely slow through browser (especially the mobile site). But at least then we can use the tapatalk app.

I actually am going to make a post about that(the forum). It's incredibly slow....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro