Is Windows Central no longer the first?

Manoj Daran

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
For the kind attention of the editors in this forum:

For days, WC is not upto the mark in covering new articles on WP leaks and rumours. I could see it's competitor, doing great in revealing rumoured images, leaked features in the the upcoming W10 for phones. All I see in this forum is unwanted or less liked posts. For eg, I just saw rumoured Home Screen and new tile sizes in the Win Phone. And a whole new file Explorer with refreshed UI. [Source: winbeta] On the other hand, WC is covering new games, Photo contest?? Im still waiting to see similar posts in this forum.

Last edited:

plot_almighty

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
There's something to be said about checking ones sources as a journalist. Chasing every rumor and reporting it doesn't equal journalism. The WC staff does a phenomenal job getting out news with credibility backing it.

If anything substantial regarding 10, in any form or fashion, appears, bet your bottom dollar a writer/editor here will have the info loaded down with as much fact checking behind it inside an article ASAP.

Same goes for pretty much any topic regarding carriers, MS, computers, and the occasional bone thrown to casual Apple and Google followers.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
There are enough websites out there that are so eager to be first with eggs on their face. Those leaks and rumours usually ends in zilch.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Would you rather see first information that ends up being inaccurate, or later information that is accurate?

I don't remember the last time WindowsCentral had to retract a story because it was wrong. I'd rather see the right stuff instead of the first stuff.

saras112

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site

For days, WC is not upto the mark in covering new articles on WP leaks and rumours. I could see it's competitor, doing great in revealing rumoured images, leaked features in the the upcoming W10 for phones. All I see in this forum is unwanted or less liked posts. For eg, I just saw rumoured Home Screen and new tile sizes in the Win Phone. And a whole new file Explorer with refreshed UI. [Source: winbeta] On the other hand, WC is covering new games, Photo contest?? Im still waiting to see similar posts in this forum.
Yeah, WC team does a great job of covering information, but for example Skype qik got updated and WC didn't wrote about it, I would rather dump those Xbox and phone cover deals news and have more rumours.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Would you rather see first information that ends up being inaccurate, or later information that is accurate?.
Not to mention site that exist just by quoting such other sites..... No thanks, gimme accurate, responsible & substantiated article anytime of the day

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
there's other sites for the quantity fix. I would pop into WMPoweruser if I was looking for quantity.

Not saying it isn't quality, but there's your quick fix.

Manoj Daran

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Would you rather see first information that ends up being inaccurate, or later information that is accurate?

I don't remember the last time WindowsCentral had to retract a story because it was wrong. I'd rather see the right stuff instead of the first stuff.

Rumours and Leaks dont need to be real for sure! If something relevant to the topic arrives, users want to read about it rather than finding accuracy in it. WC was good at it, revealing rumours but not good now.

plot_almighty

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Rumours and Leaks dont need to be real for sure! If something relevant to the topic arrives, users want to read about it rather than finding accuracy in it. WC was good at it, revealing rumours but not good now.

Real leaks and rumors lead to real expectations. That's what makes this site the best in terms of MS news. It gets it right when it posts an article, and updates accordingly (which if you've noticed is only on breaking news).

When I read an article, I expect a high degree of accuracy and info. Not some vague garbage that is pure personal speculation or opinion on the authors part.

Unless I'm sorely mistaken, the community here KNOWS the articles here are informative, accurate, and relevant to the topic its covering. At least I know.

Please don't generalize me in the "users" grouping you're using right now. I want to read facts. Not click bait.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site

If you want gossip then go to other sites.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Credibility is much more important to me as a Windows Central member and Microsoft product user.
I have great respect for the editorial staff and trust what I read here and on other respected tech sites.

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site

WC is engaging users in a community and also creating content. They are getting users out into the real world as well as back to their site.

By having weekly photo contests, they keep us coming back to the site and creating artistic content MADE WITH OUR PHONES.

By playing games online they are creating/maintaining users on Twitch. I don't know if they get paid for it, but why not bring in income and have a little fun?

With posting the latest, or even relatively recent games, they inform us of things we wouldn't have searched for otherwise, and also boost downloads of other content creators within the Windows developer community.

If you ask me, I believe they are running their site quite well, especially when it comes to walking the line between fun for the users and profitable (possibly?) for the company.

First sometimes, usually not, but as others have mentioned, they vet their sources always and I appreciate that. Otherwise their about as useful and accurate as any "analyst" the day after the latest iPhone launches. Just look at the comments on just about any article here and ask yourself how important "first" (aka "seems faster") really is.

Last edited:

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Also OP there's a "tip us on news" link button up near the top on the right for desktop site users.

Perhaps if you run across something you might think is newsworthy I'm sure the editors would be happy to look it over.
That's one proactive thing many members here do to help this site stay on top.

Manoj Daran

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
You guys missing the point! No one's talking about gossips here..

There is some special news on the store now, that everyone want to know about it. Can anyone say WC never posted Rumours or leaks? The thing is, it is not like before. Everyone want to know what might be there on their favourite OS before the public. Whether its a rumour or not? Winbeta never quoted rumour while posting the pics of File Explorer App. May be its not a rumour but its worth sharing! Dont you think?

I read a lots of articles from diff websites but WC is one my favourites - no doubt. I couldnt stand the fact that the other sites are revealing new features whereas my favourite site is not.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site

The crew at Windows Central aren't here to be first. They're here to be reliable, and sometimes that requires more time to check with sources.

If you want speed, go somewhere else, because nobody here is claiming to be the fastest. If you want reliability and be assured that ALL information is correct, then you're already at the right place.

About these "rumored images and leaked features," if Windows Central isn't posting about them, they're fake, and that becomes "gossip." ;)

Good day, sir.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Let's put the shoe on you for a minute. If you have a problem with a MS product and you come here to ask for help, would you like an honest solid answer to your problem or would you prefer we give you a maybe solution or make up an answer just to get you to read.

Nope, good journalism has not changed, grocery store rags have changed.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Windows central is good but I have noticed that the stories have been lagging behind other sites. I mean literally a day or two later and by then it was old news.

The games and apps thing is a bit annoying because it seems to take up the bulk of the articles as well as the random accessories post.

But windows central is still my number one site. The forums on the other hand I feel have sort of made me feel meh these days.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Many, many of those that read a lot of rumors then come to this forum and ask repeatedly about why they do not have these things when they are never true to begin with. The sites may even state that what they are writing about is a rumor, but many readers just skip through headlines and fast scan articles and come away believing the rumor is a solid and provable fact.

There are too many unrealistic expectations born from such a careless rush to click-bait journalism.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site

Hi!

First, I appreciate the post, and we are always open to criticism. As editor-in-chief, I am happy with our site about 40% of the time. That is because as good as we are we can always (always!) do better. We have a huge list of things we want to do, but it takes time (and the right people) to make it happen. So let it be known that in no way am I content, in fact, my job is to be not happy with anything ;)

Regarding posting of rumors and missing some things on Windows Phone:

1. Late last year, we changed from Windows PHONE Central to Windows Central in an effort to expand our coverage in the converging operating system from Microsoft. As such, some of our phone coverage is replaced by other news (things it sounds like you are not interested in).
  2. Yes, we will occasionally miss stories. Sometimes it is on purpose (it is bogus), sometimes by accident (we are not omnipresent/omniscient), sometimes by triage (we simply have other priorities).
  3. I am more than fine with other sites reporting on niche happenings with Windows Phone if we miss it. WinBeta, Windows Phone Daily, Neowin, Thurrott.com, and the international sites (especially the Italian ones) all play a role in this ecosystem. I am more than happy to share with them the joy of covering Microsoft and Windows related news and the stage!

I want to make this point very clear: We cannot be everything to everyone.

Some want nothing but Windows Phone coverage from us, with every detail, rumor, gossip, and niche thing covered. Others want us to do more with laptops, tablets, gaming, Microsoft news, reviews, tips, how-tos, etc.

Our goal is to find a balance.

I would also like to point out an odd but accurate truth: Doing stories about a File Explorer is interesting at some level, but it is also super niche at another. Case in point, try to go up to someone on the street and tell them you think you just saw the new File Explorer for Windows Phone 10 and wait for their reaction ;) Such articles may be important to you, but in the bigger picture, it is small potatoes.

Windows Central has a few goals, one of which is to reach a fresh audience who are either new to the platform or are thinking of switching to it. Sure, we want to keep bringing as much news/rumors as we can to our core audience, but the folks who are concerned with such minutia is small in comparison to general tech audiences.

(This also brings up the idea of tech site hierarchies. Sites like the Verge, Engadget, do not cover Lumia Denim in as much detail as us, yet they reach more in numbers. Some sites are very general, some are super specific, and we are in between.)

Put simply, we cannot be a site driven only by catering to the minority of users and expect to grow/be a bigger community. You may laugh when we do an article about ‘How to set up your email’ or something, but that article in the long run is more useful to the platform than reporting on a rumor that may (or may not) be true.

Finally, I'd like to thank those who have responded in this thread on this topic. I can see that our message and philosophy is resonating with many of you who ‘get’ what we are trying to do, and I appreciate that. You folks in the forum drive this site. The writers, including myself, are merely a mirror reflecting you on the front page.

Addendum

For those who are curious about where we stand in terms of being the ‘top’, or if we are losing ground, I’ll leave this here. This graph is from Alexa, and it ranks sites globally. The higher the number, the better.

As I said, we can always do better…However, I also do no lose too much sleep on where we stand globally. (Note: the reason WC curves up like that is due to our domain change last year).

alexa-rankfeb.png

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos