Stop the automatic audio adds

TonyF64

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I check into windows central a couple of times a day. I usually open the main page and scroll down. While scrolling down I will open stories I want to read in a new tab. It is easy for me to have several tabs open fairly quickly. Then I get a crap ton of audio playing all at once. While at work. This is new and has to stop. Put up adds. Add video adds, I don't care. But let the audio pay automatically.

There is a point where greed will start driving people away. Automatic audio is that point for me.

Marcus Adolfsson

CEO, Mobile Nations
Aug 18, 1999
Visit site
Auto playing ads are not allowed on our sites. Sometimes an advertiser doesn't honor that constraint, and we block them as soon as discovered. There has been an uptick in bad ads this month.

Marcus Adolfsson

CEO, Mobile Nations
Aug 18, 1999
Visit site
Update from ad ops:

I found the culprit, I’ll ban them for good moving forward. We can’t work with companies running those kind of ads.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Topherious

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Update from ad ops:

I found the culprit, I?ll ban them for good moving forward. We can?t work with companies running those kind of ads.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
Well, it appears the ad ops haven't done their job yet as i'm still getting auto playing video ads on the site at obnoxious volumes. It appears to always be the same ad in the sidebar at the right with some guy singing and I had it in multiple tabs at once before which was a tad annoying,
Capture.PNG

Also, I am getting major slowdowns on the site and all the WC tabs crashing IE (others in the same tab groups are unaffected) which I believe to be caused by the ads.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm getting multiple ads for the Verizon Droid Turbo. Like 3 auto plays of the same ad for each window I have open

Same here, It's so bad, on my Brand new i7 machine, it crashed Edge Browser in Windows 10...it keeps resetting the page, had to go back to IE just to post here.
win10.JPG

I know you need to make a buck to pay for hosting but, This is ALREADY the slowest site because of all the ads, Most P0RN sites don't have as many ads or 3 videos playing when you enter the site.

This site has gone from the best site for Windows Phone news to the WORST, the news is good but, if the website is so slow because of the ads, why even bother...

Put a paid option up now for high users/posters, or a lot of people will be moving to other sites...

I've already started going to other sites first before coming here because of this...

It's too bad, it really is...

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Isn't that hurting the economy? use adblock only for websites you hate but can't avoid to visit it, i.e. YouTube.

Not hurting me one bit. I go to websites for specific purposes, not to be bombarded by ads that are usually graphic-intense and therefore, tie up resources on my device. It's not my business to know, or care, how a company produces revenue. I'm already paying for internet access so it's not like I'm getting something for nothing.

primortal

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Isn't that hurting the economy? use adblock only for websites you hate but can't avoid to visit it, i.e. YouTube.
Advertisements are untrustworthy; they hijack the browsers tab till you do something, take over the page completely where you have to scroll down a considerable amount to actually see the page, automatically play audio or videos, track what you do from site to site. Then we have the ones where they try installing some type of mal/spyware. If ad's kept to themselves and behaved appropriately I wouldn't have a need for ad blockers.

I wouldn't mind paying $10 - $20 a year for an ad free site (with some perks) to support their overhead.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720