Why is windowscentral.com so slow in MIcrosoft Edge?

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Edge is actually blazingly fast, faster even than Chrome or Firefox. However, rendering is Edge's biggest weakness. Loading is extremely nippy, but when it comes to rendering large amounts of ads and content, Edge stumbles. There's a simple fix to get rid of ads without an ad-block, but it requires computer know-how and a willingness to get down into your computer's system files. Just let me know and I can post my own readme file detailing how to do it every step of the way.

Helen Stark

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
I'd LOVE to know... Edge is the slowest browser I've ever seen... and I'm counting the first version of IE. Thank you for explaining that it's because of video loading, I typically have videos and flash loaded on multiple windows at once, no wonder.

YES! PLEASE tell us how to fix it, I was actually looking online for a way to delete the darn thing from my computer, and if I couldn't find it, reformat back to 8.1 because of how slow the internet, and by association my entire computer, is now.

Just by forcing Edge on us as a default browser, I have been thinking Microsoft may fail again with Windows 10. No one wants to play with a system as slow as DOS 2 again, which is exactly what Edge is when running multiple video screens, something many many people do regularly and have gotten used to doing.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
It takes forever to load a page in Edge compared to either Chrome or Firefox
It is just as bad as IE 10 and 11. And it's just as slow in Chrome, at least for me it is. But yeah, I expected some better performance with Edge when coming to this site, but there is no improvement. Windows Central is one of the worst sites I go to in terms of rendering. It's bad. The AdChoice junk just KILLS the appeal to come here at times.

Larry Amato

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
Let me tell you about Internet Explorer...slooooooooow....!!!
All these side adds loading up... downright annoying :angry:
It would be nice to shut them down...!!!

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
[To backup the default hosts file]
Run Command Prompt as Administrator (Click Start Menu, go to All Apps, go to Windows System, right click on Command Prompt, select Run as Administrator)
Type "cd\"
Type "cd Windows\System32\drivers\etc"
Type "dir"
Type "Copy hosts c:\temp"

[NOTE: Do not type the quotation marks]
[NOTE: This will automatically create the folder in your C:\ Drive, even if it doesn't exist]

[To view and/or edit hosts files]
Run Notepad as Administrator (Click Start Menu, go to All Apps, go to Windows Accessories, right click on Notepad, select Run as Administrator)
Select File>Open
Navigate to hosts file (default is found in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc)
Select All Files (hosts files aren't text files)
Open the correct hosts file
Make any necessary changes
Save

[NOTE: Do not Save As, as this will save the hosts file as a text document instead of a file]
[NOTE: To add websites to your hosts file, simply type your default IP Address followed by the website URL]
[NOTE: The default IP Address is 127.0.0.1]
[NOTE: Make sure to backup your default hosts file before making any changes]
[NOTE: When you edit a hosts file, copy the unedited hosts file under a different name and then make changes]

[To replace the default hosts file with the new hosts file]
Navigate to the new hosts file
Copy new hosts file to desktop
Navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
Rename hosts to hostsOLD (or something similar, so you know it's the default hosts file)
Copy the new hosts file from desktop to the hosts folder
Restart browsers

[NOTE: You could use a .bat to install a community hosts file, but it's both easier and more reliable to do it yourself]
[NOTE: You do not have to reboot your computer, as any changes to your hosts file is immediate]
[NOTE: Your system only recognises the hosts file with the name "hosts" or "HOSTS" without the quotation marks, so make sure the hosts file that you want to use has the correct name, and that all other hosts file have different names]

[To force read your hosts file]
Run Command Prompt as Administrator (Click Start Menu, go to All Apps, go to Windows System, right click on Command Prompt, select Run as Administrator)
Type "ipconfig /flushdns:

[NOTE: Do not type the quotation marks]

[To shutdown DNS Client (mandatory with hosts files larger than 135 kilobytes)]
Win+R to open Run
Type services.msc
Scroll down to DNS Client, right click, and select Properties
Select Stop
Click the drop-down arrow for Startup type
Select Manual
Click Apply/OK and restart

[NOTE: You will have to shutdown the DNS Client with a community hosts file]
[NOTE: Make sure to turn DNS Client back on if you revert to default hosts by following the above steps and changing the startup type to automatic]

That should be everything.
Here is the link to a reliable, routinely updated community hosts file that blocks all of the major ad-servers and known malware sites. You can update it yourself as you please.
http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.zip
Please exercise caution, as the hosts file controls everything that has to do with the internet, and I mean everything, on your computer. If you're not careful, you could severely cripple your entire system. If, however, you follow all the instructions to the letter, you should be fine.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Firefox latest update for Windows 10 seems to be perfectly working for me. :) I'd use Edge and I do use it, but when it comes to 9Gag and it's .gifs it just crashes. Same on the phone, it's frustrating. Also I can't save images. So.. I'm patiently waiting for new Edge updates :) Also my big request is ability to save drawings as .jpg instead of just OneNote. :? Problem is no one seems to care on UserVoice... And yeah windowscentral.. I have no patience to use it there hehehe.

Last edited:

gahbmwm5

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Yes indeed as I too utilize Chrome 64 bit as Edge is horrible especially on this site! D/L Firefox64.exe (latest) have not installed yet, but running the MSMVP.host file and running the bat file rebooting....wow, now Chrome handles this site well!

Hell on MS Edge, I could NOT surf the forums....posting was a nightmare...

@Zachary Boddy: Thank you! :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes