A Quick Notice on Forum Signatures

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Seriously (so please disregard my psuedosig), I'm gonna hold my breath 'till someone turns sigs back on.

Yes, if you have any doubts, I am kidding.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
for years now we have allowed members to add almost anything they like to their signatures. As we move forward into the fall and winter we're moving towards doing away with them completely, for many valid reasons:

1. speed up load times
  2. 'mobile first' design in mind (signatures take up a lot of space)
  3. curb unnecessary spam
  4. make modding easier by not having to deal with problem signatures
  5. put the focus back on posts (signatures can be distracting and make it hard to find what members have to say)
  6. clarity and unity across all communities
I have to say that has all the earmarks of someone making an arbitrary decision then trying to make up a list of reasons to justify it.

Speed up load times? Seriously? How many nanoseconds does it take to transmit a few text words? Particularly when there was always an option for any user to suppress them.

Mobile First? Just how does xxxx First, equate to xxxx Only? I don't visit the site on mobile and I'm sure others don't either. If we are troublesome to the Mobile only crowd, just block non-mobile access.

Sigs take up too much space? Signatures don't HAVE to take up a lot of space and many of them didn't; and the OP knows that and is being disingenuous to use that as an excuse. Unless this is the OP's first trip to town, he knows that quite a few forums have rules to prevent size or content abuse. The fact a few people created gigantic or inappropriate sigs has other solutions than banning all sigs and the OP knows that.

Sigs a problem for mobile users? Gee, I guess I just imagined the setting I had to suppress signatures. I don't believe the OP couldn't figure out that making that option the default solves any possible performance issues for mobile users without shoving something down the throats of tablet or PC users.

Putting the focus back on posts? How arrogant can you get? Members can already block all signatures if they find them distracting. And admin can make that the default if they don't think the easily distracted would know that.

At least be honest about the REAL reasons for doing this. Because the made up ones don't make any sense.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
There are sol'ns if one really wants a sig.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Not sure what you mean by that BUT I know I can paste anything I want at the end of my posts and do that at times.

When you outlaw signatures only outlaws will have signatures....INSTEAD of the people who were never a problem!

pseudoware

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I see nothing in the rules that "outlaws" signatures, only that the ability for users to configure these on the stie and have them posted has been removed.

And I'm not manually typing anything. There are clients that stilll add them.

So if someone likes to type their name after each of their posts, they're a problem?
Sent using Tapatalk for Windows

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Note: This is entirely my own view. Personal opinion. It in no way represents the opinion of Windows Central or Mobile Nations. Ignore any title that might be visible on the profile sketch attached in the margin. I'm being my own butt-head on this one and am probably going to be ridiculed for it by friends and colleagues.

Never Tapatalked anything anywhere.

However, I see those little "sent from my blah-blah with yackety" and they have always detracted from my personal browsing experience. I mean, great for the App or whatever that they get free advertising, but man they wear on me. And add absolutely no value.

It's like driving down the highway. I might pull into McDonalds like everyone, but I don't want to see their bags and cups and wrappers littering up my view, you know? It's just needless eyesore junking up the place. If I ever catch my email or whatever doing this, I kill it with fire as soon as I can. I laugh as I squash it out.

At least the forum signatures looked like something aside from the content of the post. Those App autosigs blend right into the post with no warning the actual content has ended. Next thing you know, you are reading it whether you intend to or not. That's a huge jerk move from the App developers, that is.

[/rant]

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Note: This is entirely my own view. Personal opinion. It in no way represents the opinion of Windows Central or Mobile Nations. Ignore any title that might be visible on the profile sketch attached in the margin. I'm being my own butt-head on this one and am probably going to be ridiculed for it by friends and colleagues.

Never Tapatalked anything anywhere.

However, I see those little "sent from my blah-blah with yackety" and they have always detracted from my personal browsing experience. I mean, great for the App or whatever that they get free advertising, but man they wear on me. And add absolutely no value.

It's like driving down the highway. I might pull into McDonalds like everyone, but I don't want to see their bags and cups and wrappers littering up my view, you know? It's just needless eyesore junking up the place. If I ever catch my email or whatever doing this, I kill it with fire as soon as I can. I laugh as I squash it out.

At least the forum signatures looked like something aside from the content of the post. Those App autosigs blend right into the post with no warning the actual content has ended. Next thing you know, you are reading it whether you intend to or not. That's a huge jerk move from the App developers, that is.

[/rant]

I can understand what you're saying.

It is possible to edit the signatures used in the apps. The device name here is not in the default. The default just names which app is used.

Posted from my Moto X Pure Edition via the Windows Central App for Android

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Laura,

No offense is actually meant to anyone that uses the autosig feature. I understand that it is popular. I hate having to read them though. They have always irritated me.

I personally don't like the forced advertising aspect of sneaking it in. I also care waaaay less about how someone got here than I do about what they are actually saying. I'm not sure any value is added by knowing that I posted this from a Dell Inspiron 3543 running Windows 10 and Opera 33 browser.

Normally I bite my tongue and stay silent on the topic. I know I'm in the minority with my opinion on this (as I am with my views on all social media). However, this thread opened up the can of worms and I put in my two cents. Unwanted, tarnished, low value, 2 old pennies knocking around in my head. So I dropped 'em here. Sort of purging myself.

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I personally don't like the forced advertising aspect of sneaking it in. I also care waaaay less about how someone got here than I do about what they are actually saying. I'm not sure any value is added by knowing that I posted this from a Dell Inspiron 3543 running Windows 10 and Opera 33 browser.

Normally I bite my tongue and stay silent on the topic. I know I'm in the minority with my opinion on this (as I am with my views on all social media).
You are not alone. I don't particularly enjoy seeing the "Sent from" signature(s) and also find them to be disruptive and unnecessary. That doesn't mean that what is said prior to the sig line is bad. Nor do I really get stressed about it. Life's too short for that. :)

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Laura,

No offense is actually meant to anyone that uses the autosig feature. I understand that it is popular. I hate having to read them though. They have always irritated me.

Normally I bite my tongue and stay silent on the topic. I know I'm in the minority with my opinion on this (as I am with my views on all social media). However, this thread opened up the can of worms and I put in my two cents. Unwanted, tarnished, low value, 2 old pennies knocking around in my head. So I dropped 'em here. Sort of purging myself.

I agree. I don't like reading them and I see it as unnecessary advertising / promotion that is sneaking in as being "innocent". But I don't think it is. I think, at the minimum, it is rude.

I also bite my tongue all the time and appreciate this opportunity to make my response.

Thank you, Best Wishes.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Laura,

I only consider them useful on AndroidCentral. If a particular member has the custom ROM they're using as their signature, that could possibly help another member. IOW, they'd know who to ask if they had issues with that particular ROM. I don't see the signatures being useful on WindowsCentral, CrackBerry, or iMore.

I never use the AndroidCentral apps for the forums. I just use them for the blogs. I just chose to post using the app to show a signature. I do run a custom ROM on my tablet and that signature states what it is.

Zeroplanetz

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I want to put a sig for comments on articles and for forums stating : ...Don't bother replying to me. I do NOT receive ANY notifications via email anymore... Actually been several months now. Really annoying.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I want to put a sig for comments on articles and for forums stating : ...Don't bother replying to me. I do NOT receive ANY notifications via email anymore... Actually been several months now. Really annoying.

I don't think you really need to have a notice. People come and go all the time.

Zeroplanetz

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't think you really need to have a notice. People come and go all the time.
Yea people may come an go. But if i get a reply I have no clue about it. Unless I go an manually scroll through things. One day a few months back it just stopped working for me. Once in awhile on the website I get forum email alerts. But not always and the app never alerts me with an email on a reply.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa