Autostarting Ads... Arghhhhh

tropolite

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Hi
I understand the necessity to use advertising to pay for the site seeing that it is community driven and I appreciate that so I won't run ad blockers for that very purpose.

What drives me nuts tho are these autorunning video ads that incessantly cause the website to hang, crash flash (I get these errors many times on my Surface because of WindowsCentral's website. Most of all I find these autostart ads to interfere with trying to post to article threads by losing focus as they restart again, even after specifically pausing the ad.

As I say, I appreciate the need to run ads but please draw the line on these video ads, please.

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
@tropolite - next time you notice one, please screen cap it and post here. I can report it to our ad partner and they will take care of it on their end :)

Thanks!

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ads by Sekindo

When I look at m.windowscentral.com on my phone and scroll down, they appear and auto-start the videos.

wp_ss_20160210_0001.jpg

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks James. I'm really sorry to say this, but I'm looking forward to the day when Spartan supports ad blocking. I honestly find the adverts distracting and feel the adverts cheapen the website somewhat. I'm still in favour of paying you guys not to serve adverts to me.

tropolite

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Hi James
Will do. I just got hammered with three of them before I got here, so the next time I will screenshot them for you.
They do give you the supposed option to stop the videos from running (in the top left corner of the ad), but that doesn't work and when I scrolled up from trying to find the thing that was holding up the page was the same ad, restarted even though the no video icon was showing.

And as soon as I went back to the home page I find this one. Then I find the second right on the forum page.

2016-02-19 09_28_58-Windows Central .png2016-02-19 09_37_20-Another.png

Last edited:

tropolite

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
This one page I took a screenshot of 3 ads running - however there were 5 of these suckers all playing automatically! One above the screenshot and one below.

I would be highly confident in saying if you eradicate these extremely annoying PITA autoruns people would be complaining less about the site running sluggish and slow and crashing all the time. It is the prime reason I avoid this site, but I don't want to.

2016-02-19 09_37_20-Another3.png

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12