Windows Central is virtually unusable with Edge Browser

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
I know it's not just me (because I have seen other user comments), but isn't it time that Windows Central finally moves to HTML5? The experience of trying to post to these forums using the Edge browser is filled with freezes, lags, and constant notifications that Adobe Flash has crashed. The last straw is when Edge notifies me that there's a problem with the page and it's giving up trying to display it for me.

It seems like a website devoted to all things Windows should work with the default Windows 10 browser. Is that asking too much?

Nostromov

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Sometimes problems on the new Lumia 550, there's a lot of (different) scripting going on these pages here. It's a new experience for me, on a Microsoft phone and it doesn't look like I'll be using the web from it (at all, heh). Not even Opera Mini can install Adblock Plus (like it's possible on Android), that Microsoft Store is all that I thought it would be - including the funny names, for the already known programs which we use daily (and which they are not, the Store versions).

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Surprising that there aren't more comments here. Maybe it's just me, but I have this problem with a surface book, an HP elitebook and a tablet. Adobe Flash just keeps crashing in the Edge Browser on the Windows Central site.

Here's what happened while I was typing this post:
windows central flash crash.PNG

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Indeed. I can barely post to this forum when using EDGE.
This text fill box often has issues and freezes.
Often I will just open WORD and write my comment and then copy it here to post it.

It does work better if I use Firefox or something but I shouldn't have to use Firefox to use this forum!

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Indeed. I can barely post to this forum when using EDGE.
This text fill box often has issues and freezes.
Often I will just open WORD and write my comment and then copy it here to post it.

It does work better if I use Firefox or something but I shouldn't have to use Firefox to use this forum!

It's hard to believe that Microsoft couldn't offer a bit of assistance to a fan site to help ensure that their flagship browser would perform properly. Even if the cause is Windows Central not conforming to web standards (which is not clear), it doesn't look good when Edge browser renders Windows Central's website so poorly. This is one of the top Windows fan sites anywhere certainly for Windows Mobile. Can you imagine if Safari kept crashing on an Apple fan site? Nope. Because Apple would never allow it.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Surprising that there aren't more comments here.
I expect that the majority of people who encounter all the problems this site has with rendering and bloated ads simply leave and don't come back. It's too much effort to post a complaint when your browser is grinding to a halt or crashing.

By the way, there's an app. Also other browsers.

eddieDOTexe

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
If you're wondering why there aren't more complaints about this its probably because they can't posts due to how crappy and bloated this site has gotten.
Sometimes it feels like I have adware installed lol

matt john2

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm also having a hard time with the WC app, it's so unstable, it's basically unusable. I'm posting this with WC by Jay Bennett, and yes this is the ancient app.

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
I can't even get to the site on my laptop in Edge. It also ask me to save some file and when I hit Cancel it stops everything, including getting to the site. Anyone know of a solution to that problem???

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I know it's not just me (because I have seen other user comments), but isn't it time that Windows Central finally moves to HTML5? The experience of trying to post to these forums using the Edge browser is filled with freezes, lags, and constant notifications that Adobe Flash has crashed. The last straw is when Edge notifies me that there's a problem with the page and it's giving up trying to display it for me.

It seems like a website devoted to all things Windows should work with the default Windows 10 browser. Is that asking too much?

This site (and mobile nations sites in general) are a joke.

They push the ads on this site so bad, that no matter what browser I use this site lags so much (Edge, Firefox, IE). In fact, it's so bad, I stopped coming here for a while. This is the first time in 2 weeks because I was so sick of it. I found that 3rd party sites have less ads that makes the site run better.

Even when your on their main page, and you click on a app that is in the store, it goes through an add site where they make money off.

There has been suggestions to pay a little yearly fee and get no ads but, of course Mobile nations is not interested in such. The last few times it was asked we heard a "We'll look into it" and never heard back about it.

The ONLY way to make this site usable is to have a full ad blocker....

Install this (you can uninstall it)

Blocking Unwanted Connections with a Hosts File

Then reboot your computer. Try this site again, you will see that it's a WORLD difference and see my point here. You will see other sites run much better with out the ads but, some limits, like clicking on a link to a store item on this site will give a "this page can not be displayed" and other minor things (this is because they link to a ad site, NOT directly to the store)

With this site and business in general, it's about money, not about the needs of the customer.

If your looking for Windows based content and DONT want an ad blocker of any type, then it might be time to find another site.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
For me it is awful on my 2-in-1, although it's much, much better even on my desktop with the Creators Update (probably also because I recently bought a new one, LOL). I still agree that the ads are killing the site experience and I can totally see myself switching to mTalk to use the forum as for me forums on WC app don't work exactly as I would expect them to.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
For me it is awful on my 2-in-1, although it's much, much better even on my desktop with the Creators Update (probably also because I recently bought a new one, LOL). I still agree that the ads are killing the site experience and I can totally see myself switching to mTalk to use the forum as for me forums on WC app don't work exactly as I would expect them to.

Try that MVP hosts files... you'll be shocked on how good this site works...

No question, it's not the format of the site (even though I hate the *new* look), it's the ads that make this site bog down...

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
So, I did a test....again.

My work computer, I added the HOSTS file and at home, I didn't....

At home: When I click on something, I need to wait for 6-7 ads to populate on the page before the content I clicked on would show it...some ads show quicker than other, My home machine is a 6-8 month old top end gaming machine so not a dog at all, it would take 5-8 seconds for each time I click on something to fully load before I could view or even scroll on the screen.... MEGA LAGGY

AT WORK: a 4 year old i5 with 16gb ram and a SSD, Not my gaming machine(not even close) but, not a horrible machine in anyway. With the hosts files, when I click, the page loads are almost instant, no ads waiting to load. flying page to page is very quick with NO LAG AT ALL IT IS A COMPLETLY NEW experience on this site. This is with the HOSTS file above blocking the ads.

Just proving Mobile Nations is only about profit and not about the user experience. Try it, you will see what I mean.

I have actually gotten a virus a few years ago from one of the ads on this site (there was a discussion about it a few years ago)

And with No replies from owners of this site or management....Hmmm.... I guess it's all true...

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Still No reply from Mobile Nations on this. This is the worst laggy sites on the internet. Oh wait we are making money, so that is all that matters.

Come on.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
If you use an ad blocker, the lag stops. Unfortunately that also breaks some functionality of the main page (replying to others, and see more).

Site needs fixing.

mayconvert

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
they quit replying because they know he site runs like garbage but they don't care and will not fix it.
I quit mobile nation sites for over 3 months. I came back and its just as bad.
I quit again. I also tell everyone I know to NEVER use WC,AC,imore. mobile nations

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes