Windows 10 Phone App Getting Worse

Warren Leggatt

Jan 3, 2016
Visit site
I have been using the new Win 10 UWP app since release and have to say after a promising start things have started to fall apart to the point I have re-installed the old Win 8 application.

Things started well, a flurry of updates and looked like a desire to get the new app working and working well. Now the updates and news about them have fallen away, what gives. The issues to date, mine and also looking on feedback and forum I am not the only one.

For me, these are all on a Lumia 950 which is on latest stable windows, I am not on insider program.

- Login broken, crashes the app. Sometimes gets to the login mode screen but mostly crashes before that.
- App crashes on startup, sometimes just sits there with black screen and have to go to task list and kill. Can happen multiple times
- Live tile does not work. Sometimes you see it flick into life just as the application is starting but leaving start screen
- App does not run in background or appear in background app list. Probably why the live tile is broken.
- If you switch away from the app it does not appear in the task list, dies instantly, real pain if you need to quickly task switch for some reason.
- App at times is really slow to get to the stories on start. The bar at the top appears then waits for ages.
- Various crashes when moving around the app.

Earlier versions appeared to work so why have all the issues with stuff like login and live tiles started?
Have the devs tried to get too smart and add metrics and logging that are causing this chronic instability?
When will this situation get fixed?

Using old app now and much better experience :unhappy:

cgluch

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
There's one problem I've noticed that I'm not sure anyone else has noticed, but if I turn on notifications for the W10 app, they don't work unless I keep the app open at all times in the background.

DerKulp

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
For me the live tile only updates when I open the app. If I don't open it, the tile will show the same old articles again and again. Sadly on W10M even the old app's live tile doesn't work anymore. Same behaviour as the new app's tile.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa