Suggestion for Windows Central Blog comments/forums

Captain_Eric

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site
I hope you gentleman will consider new standards for the comments section. Too much simple chatter, whining, bashing. It sometimes takes pages and pages before you get to a thoughtful, helpful comment that you can sink your teeth into. Please consider it.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Meet Your Windows Central Ambassadors

I hope you gentleman will consider new standards for the comments section. Too much simple chatter, whining, bashing. It sometimes takes pages and pages before you get to a thoughtful, helpful comment that you can sink your teeth into. Please consider it.

Captain, I appreciate your concerns. It is definitely something that gets discussed and addressed behind the scenes regularly.

As a member of that Team by default of my Lead position I can say that the Moderator Team Leader is definitely aware. As a team, Mods have a duty to make sure posts comply with the Community Rules. As a public forum, participation by all is welcome so long as the rules are followed.

Diversity of opinion is to be expected. It can be seen virtually anywhere public participation is allowed. Some truly are not pleased with Microsoft's direction and policies of late. For the Ambassador Team, the directive I promote would be that the Team members remain positive and supportive, help answer questions and solve issues. We can only try and win people over by example, be we Members, Ambassadors or Moderators.

Upholding standards for the board falls to the Moderator Team Leader and I'll leave it to him to discuss those aspects of your inquiry. Formulating new standards would be the purview of the Community Manager. I do know that he regularly takes feedback in order to review and possibly revise those Community Rules...

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

If you are referring to the blog page comments, those are managed differently than the forums. Moderators are involved with the forums only, not the blog comments. The writers typically manage the blog comments themselves, and anything that is not spam or blatant discrimination/harassment tends to be left alone.

Captain_Eric

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site

If you are referring to the blog page comments, those are managed differently than the forums. Moderators are involved with the forums only, not the blog comments. The writers typically manage the blog comments themselves, and anything that is not spam or blatant discrimination/harassment tends to be left alone.

I understand. And, I am asking Windows Central / Mobile Nations to reconsider both venues. It's just pathetic sometimes....The ball is in your court.

Captain_Eric

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site
Wait! Let me give you some ideas for consideration; 1) any whiny or derogatory comments on Insider Build threads should be deleted and sent a note that quotes the "Disclaimer" from joining said Insider program. You can easily say: "You're comments are unhelpful given your previous agreement when joining the Insider Program." 2) the "standard of care" for derogatory, mean, disrespectful to Microsoft or any organization should be the same as for comments (derogatory, etc.) for a fellow poster and deleted. Why? People are working on these products, at Microsoft, Windows Central, everywhere. It's not right to assume Microsoft is a big impersonal monolith. It's made up of people, probably hard working, who deserve the same respect as anyone. These rules are simple, and easily implemented. Go for it. Please.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I understand. And, I am asking Windows Central / Mobile Nations to reconsider both venues. It's just pathetic sometimes....The ball is in your court.

Wait! Let me give you some ideas for consideration; 1) any whiny or derogatory comments on Insider Build threads should be deleted and sent a note that quotes the "Disclaimer" from joining said Insider program. You can easily say: "You're comments are unhelpful given your previous agreement when joining the Insider Program." 2) the "standard of care" for derogatory, mean, disrespectful to Microsoft or any organization should be the same as for comments (derogatory, etc.) for a fellow poster and deleted. Why? People are working on these products, at Microsoft, Windows Central, everywhere. It's not right to assume Microsoft is a big impersonal monolith. It's made up of people, probably hard working, who deserve the same respect as anyone. These rules are simple, and easily implemented. Go for it. Please.
Eric,

I moved your comments regarding the blog comments and forums to the Site Discussion forum and also gave you your own thread for this.

Since this is beyond the scope of what the Ambassadors do and more related to the writers/community management, it will be better noticed by them here.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

My thoughts:
I understand this is very frustrating for those here that know what they are buying into.
However it's the responsibility of the insiders to understand risk by actually reading the Microsoft Corporation's well advertised disclaimer.

It is not Windows Centrals place to attempt to control what insiders do with their devices.
Windows Central under Mobile Nations is simply a clearing house for conversation about subjects within the scope of Windows.

As a volunteer staff we absolutely can not police every users failure or success with device modification.

In simple terms:
Buyer beware no warranty implied or otherwise.

Captain_Eric

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site
My thoughts:
I understand this is very frustrating for those here that know what they are buying into.
However it's the responsibility of the insiders to understand risk by actually reading the Microsoft Corporation's well advertised disclaimer.

It is not Windows Centrals place to attempt to control what insiders do with their devices.
Windows Central under Mobile Nations is simply a clearing house for conversation about subjects within the scope of Windows.

As a volunteer staff we absolutely can not police every users failure or success with device modification.

In simple terms:
Buyer beware no warranty implied or otherwise.

But you do "police." (You moved my comments here after all, right?) Nasty comments to individuals are deleted, right?

So I'm just saying as long as you set a standard for behavior, just expand it to 1) people's comments failing to acknowledge and live by Microsoft's Insider Build disclaimer 2) nasty comments targeting Microsoft, Daniel, or any organization (by using the same standard as used for individuals, since these are comprises of probably hard-working people who do not deserve disrespect or worse.)

Here's one more idea. I understand frustration. It just needs it's time and place. So, maybe create a ranters, bitchin', whiners forum. Instead of deleting said posts, move them there.

And please, this "it's not our job" stuff isn't so helpful.

Last edited:

Captain_Eric

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon