New Forum Design: Official Feedback Thread

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
After lots of kvetching I'll admit that the disappearing board and thread portions seems to have abated.

I'm withholding judgement though to make sure it doesn't come back...

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
After lots of kvetching I'll admit that the disappearing board and thread portions seems to have abated.

I'm withholding judgement though to make sure it doesn't come back...

Nope. Still doing the disappearing trick on IE. WITHOUT ad block so don't go blaming that.

My browser is telling me: "This page is trying to load scripts from unauthenticated sources."

Also it is trying to load Flash Player. That should have been killed off about two years ago or more.

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I want to report issues with windowscentral.com in microsoft Edge.

The older design has worked fine in Edge. But the recent design seems to cause issues.
Edge version 41.16232.1000.0. EdgeHTML 15.16232.

1. The website's hamburger does not work on the main site page and in article pages. It does not accept mouse, keyboard (tab key+enter), pen or touch input. The hamburger menu does work in the forum page. ( I don't seem to have this issue in chrome for comparison)
2. comment textbox is limited to 1000 characters. Can't find any way to turn it off. (I don't seem to have this issue in chorme, for comparison)
3. The edit comment button doesn't work well. I have to press it precisely a couple of times to get it to work. This issue is both on the pc and mobile version. Touch input is the most unresponsive (I don't seem to have this issue in chrome, for comparison).

Attachments

• Schermopname (253).png
    Schermopname (253).png
    451.5 KB · Views: 3

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
4. When I press edit, I am greeted with a garbled page full of html code. See screenshot. (for comparison this doesn't happen in chrome).

I hope this info helps to help find the bugs.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
Not an aspect of the forum's design but something that I believe went awry during its revamps. Just noticing today (I'm slow I know) that my "Forum Post Count" had gotten reset, remember being well over 700 awhile back and now we are under a hundred... 99 to be exact as of this post. And no, our account has never been deleted then recreated, by me.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Fwiw recently I have been coming back to the forums and finding that I'm no longer logged in. Did something change, or is CCleaner (aka Virus Installer) deleting some important cookies?

maddogmoffit

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
For me one of the most important thing is that it is easy to scan what new stories have been published the last day or so. This is now hidden behind the most recent page. When I look at the top of the Windows Central start page I can only see the last 5 published stories and then I have to click on the most recent page to get any more. This have driven me to mostly read WC on the Android App. At least Android Central keeps the old chronological format.
Please have at least the most resent 10-15 stories on the front page.

gomezz

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Fwiw recently I have been coming back to the forums and finding that I'm no longer logged in. Did something change, or is CCleaner (aka Virus Installer) deleting some important cookies?
Same here. Similar to what happened earlier this year with no option to log back in. Need to use Chrome to access these forums rather than my normal IE11.

fdruid

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Dreadful, guys. the new design is not only cumbersome but also sluggish. That thing where you get similar articles below the one you opened is questionable, but having to expand comments is annoying too.

Kadcidxa

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I got a new terrible design today. Is there a way to turn off scrolling through the next article? I want the article to be a single page. Also comments don't show up automatically. When I click on view comments, my browser lags.

fdruid

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Oh, also the whole "heart" thing is supposed to end up upvotes and downvotes? Because I get that, but in practice just kills another whole level of interaction. You can only say that you like something?

xFalk

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I got a new terrible design today. Is there a way to turn off scrolling through the next article? I want the article to be a single page. Also comments don't show up automatically. When I click on view comments, my browser lags.

I hate the article scrolling. I don't read every article so I don't need to see all articles at once. It makes it hard to determine when an article actually ends. If you happen to continue to scroll down to more articles it makes returning to the original a huge scrolling challenge. It requires extra effort to locate and read the comments. Mostly it is now a resource hog. Even with ads blocked. For kicks I turned off my ad blocker and the page(s) practically locked up. It wasn't enough to have a full page of ads loading. Now we have multiple pages of ads loading or refreshing multiple times for a single page viewing session.

Kadcidxa

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I hate the article scrolling. I don't read every article so I don't need to see all articles at once. It makes it hard to determine when an article actually ends. If you happen to continue to scroll down to more articles it makes returning to the original a huge scrolling challenge. It requires extra effort to locate and read the comments. Mostly it is now a resource hog. Even with ads blocked. For kicks I turned off my ad blocker and the page(s) practically locked up. It wasn't enough to have a full page of ads loading. Now we have multiple pages of ads loading or refreshing multiple times for a single page viewing session.

I ended up creating my own custom CSS. The readability is much better now. One thing I can't change is the article scrolling and lag when clicking view comments.

https://imgur.com/a/DmKq6

Kimmo Toivanen

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
When next article enlarges height of a page, scroll bar resizes. If you are scrolling the page with mouse - bang, you jump forward into unread territory ;)

Also about comments: now that profile pictures in replies are the same size as in comments and there is no color difference, it's harder to find out when replies end.

Good thing is that comments are now properly indented, not just 2 levels as it was for a long time...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss