stop asking to disable adblock

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
You're getting more aggressive with the requests to turn off adblock. I'm a long-time reader, user, and even a former ambassador, on the site, and I have adblock on because the site has become ridiculous with the adds, taking MINUTES to load the home page fully. If it weren't so, I would GLADLY turn my adblock off, because I love Windows Central, and would be happy to support the site.

Chill with the ads that cause the fan of my I7/16GB/1TB Surface Book with Performance Base to turn on, and I'll gladly chill with the adblock.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The ever increasing dysfunction of this site was most definitely a factor (one of several) that went into my decision to retire from staff. That factor carried a lot of weight. Each round of "improvements" always seems to decrease ease and functionality while increasing the amount of advertising and "nag" screens I had to endure. It simply became painful to spend huge amounts of time here.

Note: I am retired, even though the change has not been effected to my profile. It's only been about 4 weeks since I tendered my resignation. :grincry:

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
The ever increasing dysfunction of this site was most definitely a factor (one of several) that went into my decision to retire from staff. That factor carried a lot of weight. Each round of "improvements" always seems to decrease ease and functionality while increasing the amount of advertising and "nag" screens I had to endure. It simply became painful to spend huge amounts of time here.

Note: I am retired, even though the change has not been effected to my profile. It's only been about 4 weeks since I tendered my resignation. :grincry:

Still sorry to see you go

When I'm using the site on firefox with ads enabled, I don't see much lag or notice any issues in the way it runs
Maybe the ads are problematic based on region?

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Before enabling the Ad Blocker, I has getting soooooooo! aggravated with all the ads...just too many. Every time I click on a new tread, a new pop-up window would show up. Yesterday, my ad blocker app updated and was subsequently disabled, I hadn't noticed until I opened Windows Central...I thought my computer was exploding, there were so many ads popping up, WTF! thought, until I realized the ad blocker was off... turned it back on...all is well:)

IMissMyPsion

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site
I gave up looking at wc using a browser because it took so long to get to a position where I could scroll the page. Not just adverts, but tablets and social media icons too. Instead i installed the app, and it is better. Previously i was using a variety of browsers on Android and Windows 10 in the UK. I've completely given up trying to use any mobile nations website on my i7 computer.

convergent

May 20, 2017
Visit site
I had to turn on AdBlock on WC today because I literally couldn't complete a quick reply after several minutes of trying. I'm running Firefox on Windows 10 on a Surface Pro (2017) with i5. This is the only browser window I had open, and wasn't really running any other apps that should take any resources. There were a dozen or so ads running in the right column, with several auto-running videos that weren't even visible in the scrolling because there were so many and they were scrolled down off the page. This is what I would call very excessive. You should at least scale back the ads for registered users. In any event, AdBlock is now back on and I can use the site again. I have run sites that relied on funding from ads, but I would never subject my registered users to this degree of ads. I'm happy to support the site by seeing the ads, but if you make the site unusable then I have a choice of blocking ads and participating, or just not coming to the site. Those are really the only two choices you are leaving.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05