Lync vs Skype

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I've read some stuff about Lync and Skype and how they interact...really...they are both the same dang thing, just one keeps my business contacts and also has a more business based view... I use both on my phone now, and I feel Lync does work better.

Anyone hear any rumors about the two? Anything being combined?

Anyone ever even use Lync? haha

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I use Lync at work. It reminds me more of Messenger than Skype. Not that they were all that different anyway.

I think they'll be kept separate. Lynch may grow into a larger training package, with extra functionality.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Anyone ever even use Lync? haha

My boss is a Lync MVP. We use it at work. It's designed for enterprise. He's been talking about Lync & Skype merging for awhile, but so far it hasn't happened. Lync does work very well on WP, as opposed to Skype...

Jupast

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I think they briefly talked about just this thing on Windows Weekly last week, on which Daniel Rubino was a guest.

The other guest, Peter Bright, was of the opinion they should just combine them, as Microsoft's assertion that Lync was for 'inside the workplace firewall', and Skype outside it, made little sense.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I think they briefly talked about just this thing on Windows Weekly last week, on which Daniel Rubino was a guest.

That might have been where I heard it brought up recently then!

You all seem to agree Lync works well on WP (LOL at Lynch), but do you guys use Skype on PCs? I think Lync also works well on the desktop. Simplistic and quick... But more and more stuff starts popping up about video calls, and that is what makes me think Skype.

We are still on XP machines at work, but some people are moving to Win7. That is where the video chat notifications are more pronounced.

Jupast

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Whenever i saw Screenshots of Lync back when i used Windows Live Messenger, i always wondered why WLM didn't look like that.

I use Skype on the Desktop, and it's fairly decent there.

As for Skype on Windows Phone. That thing is a waste of install space in it's current state. Someone, somewhere, needs a Rocket.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I've never used Lync. I don't like Skype, since I prefer the IM aspects, not the voice calls/video calls. I like something that allows sharing of pictures/videos, not just text, which I why I use WhatsApp. Does Lync allow sharing of pictures/videos?

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I've had access to Lync for two years in my Office 365 Pro plan. We've played with it several times, so we are amateur users. It seems like text messages sent, are lost if the other person isn't on line when the text message is sent? Wish we knew more to see it as productive.

I recently used a coupon from Microsoft for a year free of "Skype subscription and Wi-Fi". (Wi-Fi?) with my new Surface Pro 2 (The Tablet PC Computer is incredible. Not just a tablet for consuming media, but more importantly, a true powerful computer that I use to produce work.)

I need to find the use cases for Skype and Lync.

Family Room text messenger seems adequate for updating my wife and I on our daily schedules.

What are some typical use situations where Lync and Skype are really productive?

Thank You,
Best Wishes, No Worries.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I've had access to Lync for two years in my Office 365 Pro plan. We've played with it several times, so we are amateur users. It seems like text messages sent, are lost if the other person isn't on line when the text message is sent? Wish we knew more to see it as productive.

I recently used a coupon from Microsoft for a year free of "Skype subscription and Wi-Fi". (Wi-Fi?) with my new Surface Pro 2 (The Tablet PC Computer is incredible. Not just a tablet for consuming media, but more importantly, a true powerful computer that I use to produce work.)

I need to find the use cases for Skype and Lync.

Family Room text messenger seems adequate for updating my wife and I on our daily schedules.

What are some typical use situations where Lync and Skype are really productive?

Thank You,
Best Wishes, No Worries.

I'm the way as you with Skype. I could get 60 minutes a month free Skype calls from my Office 365 Home subscription, but I never activated it. I don't have any use for Skype calls, since I don't have any contacts overseas that I'd need to talk to.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I use Lync at work. It reminds me more of Messenger than Skype. Not that they were all that different anyway.

I think they'll be kept separate. Lynch may grow into a larger training package, with extra functionality.
I am not at all familiar with the old MSN Messenger. None of my friends ever used it. Back in the day, Yahoo Messenger is what they used, but they don't use Yahoo Messenger anymore.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I use Lync every day and its quite useful from a work perspective. Very easy to share desktop with other colleagues who are 6000 miles away :) I don't think I would compare it to Skype sice Skype doesn't allow desktop sharing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss