What is Microsoft trying to do with Skype?

d_abbatelli

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Three years ago, approximately this time of the year (May 2011) Microsoft acquired Skype for $8.5bn.

When that happened, we all thought that was a strategic move, and we all fantasized about seamless integration in Windows Phone. It looked just like a natural consequence.

Where are we now?
Skype on Windows Phone is still slow, misses a tons of features and the integration is nothing spectacular: yeah, being able to switch from normal call to video call is cool, but how much will anyone actually use it?
Especially, Skype on mobile platforms is unreliable. When I send a message, I'm never quite sure my contact has received it.

Windows Phone is suffering a serious lack of well-designed messaging apps. Whatsapp just got pulled from the store. BBM is not here yet. Telegram doesn't have an official WP app. Viber, Kik, Line, WeChat, all working "decently" at best.

When I look for possible alternatives, the problem is always the same: I may have no problem to switch to another service, but most of my contact are (with reason) not willing to do the same. On the other hand, a large share of my contact list occasionally uses Skype for videocalls, and most of them have them installed on their telephone. But, for the mentioned reason, it is virtually impossible to use it as a messaging app.

I understand. Skype was not made to be a messaging app. It was made for video calls, and it is a job that it has been doing for approximately 10 years without substantial changes.
I also know that, to work properly on mobile, Skype infrastructure needed to be moved from completely peer-to-peer to server based.
I'm aware that Microsoft has been working on this since the acquisition.

But still..

In May 2011, Whatsapp wasn't quite that used yet. Viber had just been released since 6 months, and only for iPhone. Telegram was still far away from even being an idea, since it has been founded from scratch in 2013.
Since then, all the competitors became more and more diffused as messaging apps, added features on features and are now they are very close to compete with Skype also for voice and video calls.

In all this time, Microsoft still has to find a way to provide a good user experience on its own mobile operating system, which still lacks a messaging app that is on par with the other operating system.
Honestly, what the hell have they been doing? With this pace, within three more years Skype will be just a relic from the past, unable to withstand the transition from the personal computer to the mobile world, and everyone will be using something else for their messages AND their video calls.

Any thought about this?
It would be very nice to know what is behind all this...

afgzee

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I think Viber and WeChat work pretty well on Windows Phone, Viber could do with a speed boost as it takes some time to load up, but other than that WeChat and Viber have done a much better job than Whatsapp and Microsoft's Skype.

Jupast

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
That team is busy trying to get their Ducks in a Row while consistently churning out Turkeys.

Some articles would seem to indicate they can't seem to get a handle on moving the way Skype works into the modern age.

Even something as simple as Client consistency seems to escape them. For example, in the Desktop software, you've got four Status options (Online, Away, DND, Invisible) but on Windows Phone, you only get two of those, because apparently you can't be Away or Busy if you have a Phone.

That whole Team needs a Rocket..or a clean out.

raz0r24

May 19, 2014
Visit site
I dont know what's the point of taking out the skype username option. Doesn't make sense plus all my contacts were on skype name acc, not outlook acc lol "nice"

Sent from my Lumia 620 using Tapatalk

d_abbatelli

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
So apparently everyone thinks MS is most definitely underdelivering with Skype..
It would be good to have some insights on why this is happening, and what is the vision MS has with Skype..

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
One of the few negative threads where I can agree with every post. I'd appreciate WPC doing an article on this too. I disagree with most of the outrage posts against MS, but in this case the Skype team either isn't getting the funding they need, or they are incompetent.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The main issue I have with Skype is its inconsistencies and lack of features depending on how it is used.

I had the Windows 8.1 Skype app from the Store, but I uninstalled it. Why? Because I'd get notifications on new messages that weren't new; I had already read them and responded to them, sometimes over a week ago on my phone. There was absolutely no integration between Windows 8.1 Skype and WP Skype.

I also would like to be able to send files using Skype when I'm on Windows Phone. WhatsApp is much better in that regard, since I am able to share pictures. More people are going to want to share pictures on a mobile than on a desktop PC.

I rarely use the calling features of Skype, but I'd like to be able to use it more for its messaging features, and messaging is something I prefer doing on mobile, not on desktop PC.

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I had the Windows 8.1 Skype app from the Store, but I uninstalled it. Why? Because I'd get notifications on new messages that weren't new; I had already read them and responded to them, sometimes over a week ago on my phone. There was absolutely no integration between Windows 8.1 Skype and WP Skype.

Yeah this is frustrating. i thought they fixed this a while back. I'm not sure if this has happened to others, but after the latest update, some of my Skype contacts have been unlinked but in people hub everything is as it should be. Furthermore, they added a scroll bar for all other contacts that aren't in favourites. It is a single column and I have to keep scrolling to see other contacts. It is a baffling decision considering how much space is available to use. Contact pictures also seem to be missing for some contacts. I want to roll back if I could. If the Skype blog is to be belived in terms of their "new experience" for desktop, I really hope it is not like the metro app.

I also would like to be able to send files using Skype when I'm on Windows Phone. WhatsApp is much better in that regard, since I am able to share pictures. More people are going to want to share pictures on a mobile than on a desktop PC.

This is probably the biggest missing feature for the phone app for me.

jacksonking112

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
Where are we now?
Skype on Windows Phone is still slow, misses a tons of features and the integration is nothing spectacular: yeah, being able to switch from normal call to video call is cool, but how much will anyone actually use it?
Especially, Skype on mobile platforms is unreliable. When I send a message, I'm never quite sure my contact has received it.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Maybe they had no vision for it. Perhaps they only bought it to stop Facebook buying it.
It's certainly a disjointed experience at the moment.

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I seriously can't get over the inability to send files through the skype app for WP. It is one of the key factors why i am using facebook messenger more and more. Just that one feature for me and I'd be happy.

MikkoPaivarinta

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm not too bothered about the files and messages and so on, but I want to use Skype for video calls. But the damn thing on Lumia 920 rarely rings!
How can I convince my friends with iStones to use Skype if I can't even answer them myself?
This is one of the biggest reasons I am toying with the idea of buying an iPhone!

akthelonelyman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Want to get a good Skype experience?.get an ios device.
It works like a charm in my old ipad 2 though I dont use it much after I got my 1520.
Using Skype on my 1520 makes me feel like im using a low end android lol.slow and lagging,forget the lack of features.

MikkoPaivarinta

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Meanwhile, after installing WP 8.1 and after Skype updates, it works! Skype now rings 9 out of 10, which is better than my iPad, that only rings if Skype is open and running. (might be a setting problem, don't know nor care)

I might stay with WP a while longer...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05