Skype integration into the Windows ecosystem is not bad, nor laughably bad. It simply doesn't exist. Skype exists within the ecosystem, but integration is something that has not been achieved; however, I have a wonderful image for it that I am curious if anyone else shares.

When I moved my mother over to WP (at her request after playing with mine) she was elated with the platform; but the most immediate issue we found was imessaging. She had come from an iphone, and just about everyone she knew had one as well. She couldn't receive any messages because the iphones that were sending them still though she did too (fundamentalists rarely react well to converts). There is much conversation about turning Skype into a similar service that is integrated in a similar way that imessage is, but I see so much more potential.

Skype is a platform that can already be used as a buffer between phones. The problem with messaging apps is that the other person has to use the app as well. But the thought occurs to me that with Skype, you don't have to worry about that, because of the Skype credit system; and that is where crossplatform support becomes stinking cool.

I text my boss (with integrated Skype) from my phone, then when I sit at my desk all of those messages show up in a universal "Skype" messaging service on my desktop. You can technically do this right now, but to have that turn into a fluid experience that allows you to seamlessly align it with your already existing text service would be wonderful.

I think that the logistical effort working with carriers would be enormous, but by god there is a market here that Microsoft could dominate, and shake up just about every market-space out there. At least that Is my thinking.What do y'all think? How would that work, or how would it not?
    06-29-2014 10:25 PM
    sadly, the People hub won't integrate deeply with social networks anymore as Windows Phone is going towards integration via apps (cmiiw)
    we can only hope Microsoft sort the below-par Facebook and Skype app in near future

by the way, in WP 8.1 you can video call via People hub if you have installed Skype
    06-29-2014 11:03 PM
    sadly, the People hub won't integrate deeply with social networks anymore as Windows Phone is going towards integration via apps (cmiiw)
    we can only hope Microsoft sort the below-par Facebook and Skype app in near future

by the way, in WP 8.1 you can video call via People hub if you have installed Skype
    Which is why Twitter is fully integrated with the People hub?

Just because they changed integration which removed existing functionality doesn't mean they won't add it back later with the new integration.
    06-29-2014 11:09 PM

Can you really? I've got 8.1 and skype and lots of contacts with skype and it doesn't work for me. Maybe I'm missing something...
    06-29-2014 11:13 PM
    Skype integration makes sense to me. And MS would do well to focus on this, or services like BBM might steal their thunder. BBM is (supposedly) coming to WP this year and is already available on iOS, Android, and obviously BlackBerry.

The advantage Skype has over BBM and just about every other IM type service right now is its desktop clients for Windows, Mac, and even Linux. Easily start a conversation on your laptop and finish it on your smartphone - any smartphone - without a hitch.
    Posted from my Nokia Lumia 822 using Tapatalk
    06-29-2014 11:35 PM
    Can you really? I've got 8.1 and skype and lots of contacts with skype and it doesn't work for me. Maybe I'm missing something...
    wp_ss_20140630_0001.png
    you're welcome
    06-30-2014 03:33 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wp_ss_20140630_0001.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	245.1 KB 
ID:	70589
    you're welcome
    Thanks, really. But it isn't showing up on my phone. There is that "skype bought by microsoft" account confusion... maybe it fell into that crack.
    06-30-2014 06:28 AM
    Thanks, really. But it isn't showing up on my phone. There is that "skype bought by microsoft" account confusion... maybe it fell into that crack.
    have you installed the Skype app?
    have you linked your Skype contacts to your Outlook contacts?
    if not, then, you won't find that option
    06-30-2014 08:27 AM
    I would love for Skype to become an iMessage for windows phone. Its one of the things I wish msft would do but hasn't :/

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    06-30-2014 08:59 PM