Skype confusion

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Over the past two weeks there's been a couple of articles about Microsoft now bringing out a new Universal Skype app.

On my Lumia 950 and Surface Pro 4 they both came pre-bundled with a simple Skype video app. The people hub and messaging app also seems to be closely tied into skype.

My understanding was that Microsoft were going the route of Apples' facetime feature by baking skype into their devices and ensuring it was fully integrated into the address book and other communication elements of the device.

So now all the talk of a new skype app is a little confusing. Will this app be the new default skype going forward? Will it need to be downloaded from the store? Will the simple skype video app simply disappear and be replaced with the new skype app with future windows updates? Will I end up with multiple skype apps on my devices which will be essentially doing the same job?

It's really not clear why MS are now deciding to go back to a new skype app after spending the last 12 months baking it into the desktop and mobile OS.

Can anyone offer some light on the Microsoft/Skype strategy and what it'll ultimately mean for the end user?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
It is confusing at the moment since we seem to have more than one app. Perhaps the universal skype app will solve the issue where battery drains a lot due to skype being connected with messaging

ZillurRehman

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Well i have tried every thing. But the issue is if someone calls me msging+Skype app activates itself and i have ro pick the call from there. And sometimes i cant see callers cam and somtimes flickering result.

I have tried this on lumia 535 and 540 also. Bu all giving same issue.

I think to clear the confusion Main universal Skype should be used and Mesaaging+Skype and Skype Video app all should be removed.

I am really happy with Lumia but what good it is if it cant give me facility of making a Video call :(

Lumia 640 XL
ZillurRehman

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes