Frustrations with Skype vs others

final_fantasy781

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
I've been slowing adding people to use Skype. The latest person I grabbed was my sister. She logged in, changed her settings to get notifications, and we've been talking with skype ever since.

Now, everyone in my family has an iPhone, but they don't use any video calling service. Last night, my parents decided to sent everyone a text to join this service called Zoom. The service does support Windows 10, but a way with an executable, while iPhone and Android have actual apps.

The reason I wrote this in the skype forums is just the frustration with my parents being so amped using Zoom and remain still oblivious to Skype. I know there is normal Skype and Skype for Business; however, this wasn't the issue. Everyone on Zoom, except my two brothers, believed that Skype couldn't handle more than one call; that it's a P2P (Person 2 Person, not Peer 2 Peer) service.

This is just a rant. I love using Skype, but Microsoft has made some fantastic services. I just wish more people can see that and not just think they only make PCs.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Unless Skype pulls it's finger out it is going the way of Hoover (Make Hoovers but most people buy Dyson's, Samsung's and other makes now), Skype has done so many U turns, and so many people who still show up in the database of users have moved on so you have a dead directory (I wonder how many people in the Skype directory have died), shame as the basic idea is fantastic, but I have struggled to keep my family using it as well (Still in there and hoping the new UWP will be a way forward).

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
May I ask, what is this use by the family that you both speak of? Cell phones make telephone calls, and they send text messages, even with multiple participants, in groups. So you must be talking about video calls? Is video calling really something families do with two and more participants, on cell phones?

My family did use Family Room to broadcast text messages to everyone so I do see the value in that "use case".

I guess I'm wondering how families would use Skype or Zoom?

I know, I know, I'll go to BING and research it. I just thought your first person experiences would be more personal.

Best Wishes

final_fantasy781

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
Originally posted by Kevin Rush
May I ask, what is this use by the family that you both speak of? Cell phones make telephone calls, and they send text messages, even with multiple participants, in groups. So you must be talking about video calls? Is video calling really something families do with two and more participants, on cell phones?

My family did use Family Room to broadcast text messages to everyone so I do see the value in that "use case".

I know, I know, I'll go to BING and research it. I just thought your first person experiences would be more personal.

Best Wishes

It's not for everybody. I mean, if texting and phone calls work, what needs to be fixed?

I was more frustrated that I suggest skype to my family, but they go for something exactly the same (but doesn't work on Windows Phones).

It was just a rant, but probably handled incorrectly. My mom will find a new app, rant and rave that it's the best thing since the iPhone, try it a couple of times, and then move to the next new thing.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I was more frustrated that I suggest skype to my family, but they go for something exactly the same (but doesn't work on Windows Phones).

You are looking at it from a different perspective than most people. You say others like to use "something exactly the same", and then you mention one difference, "doesn't work on Windows Phones".

You are absolutely correct. The problem is that the differentiating feature matters to almost nobody, as very few people are using, or even know someone who uses, a Windows Phone. This makes this added feature not important at all, or important to only a very small subset of users. Who is going to make their decision based on something that will probably never matter to them? I know, it seems strange if it matters to you, but you also have to view it from someone else's point of view.

Something else to keep in mind is that Skype doesn't have the best reputation. There is a lot of complaining about it, even here and on other other Microsoft fan forums.

As a disclaimer, I do not wish to totally discredit your claim. You are correct. I agree with you. But the (real) world does not revolve around you and me!

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that final_fantasy781 was making the point that he first suggested a solution "Skype" that is available to everyone on all platforms and has a long history. Many many people use Skype. He was met with a response no, the new kid on the block is what we want to use, with no consideration that the app be inclusive and available to everyone involved.

Actually, the "real problem" might be peoples "self centered" inability to take others into account and to always make the effort to be sure to include people. Lack of perspective, as was said.

(Now I'm ranting.)

Hoping for the best.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
He was met with a response no, the new kid on the block is what we want to use, with no consideration that the app be inclusive and available to everyone involved.

Actually, the "real problem" might be peoples "self centered" inability to take others into account and to always make the effort to be sure to include people. Lack of perspective, as was said.

Technically correct, but as I said, for most people, WP users are not a consideration as most people do not have one, do not know anyone using one, or have even heard of it! Sad, but that's the way it is.

Windows Phone users think differently in this respect. More than 98% of smartphone users use either iOS or Android, and are used to virtually all apps being available, usually for both platforms. Considering whether or not the app is available for them or their friends is not even applicable.

Either way, the same argument could be used for Windows Phone users. Why should I as a WP user think that those using iOS or Android should restrict the apps they use to a small subset that is also available to me? Can't I make some concessions to accommodate iOS/Android users? Do I not consider that they may want to use an app not available on WP?

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Wow. Good example of a lack of inclusive perspective. Define what is a well known, well used software solution, available on all platforms, Skype, as a "subset" (remember the three intersecting rings from school). Then claim selfishness.

Are we talking politics, or business? Who backs down? I thought it was just his family.

Oh well, Best Wishes

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Wow. Good example of a lack of inclusive perspective. Define what is a well known, well used software solution, available on all platforms, Skype, as a "subset" (remember the three intersecting rings from school). Then claim selfishness.

Are we talking politics, or business? Who backs down? I thought it was just his family.

Oh well, Best Wishes

I don't know if we're talking politics or business, but it seems we're now at relationships! :eck: Should we use someone's choice of apps as a way to determine their selfishness?

Best wishes to you too.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site

Best Wishes

Hello Kevin, the rest of them are chatting on a different tack so here is my take on it.

Skype (In theory) has a lot of advantages for groups compared to standard mobile texts and calls (Almost every one I know has unlimited texts and calls so it's not financial).

I decided about 18 months ago to "Get into Skype", I think I must have chosen the worst possible time as Skype have spent nearly all this time doing 180 degree U turns, no universal app, must use desktop version on tablets, standard SMS and call integration in the new apps. And now finally a universal.

However I still like Skype.

So I have two daughters one about 200 miles away, the other about 100, my boy lives with us and is a gamer and Skype is popular within the gaming community. So I set up me and the missus and told my girls to use it, we set up a family group so one text or picture is seen by all, without changing apps I can easily call any of us or add more from mobile or PC, and although we don't use the video option much we can easily make individual or group video chats (Can be funny).

I have to admit I send more IM's to my boy (In his room just down the passage) along the lines of "Dinner is ready" or "The kettle is boiled if you are making tea".

My eldest daughter just got married, her husband uses Skype for work and is often abroad, so they use it, no need to think about roaming charges etc.

Turned out one of my wife's sisters and husband use it as well to keep in touch with their kids, one in the US now with grandkids and the other flitting between UK and Belgium, so we can now contact them as well, very handy when they are on a visit to the US.

My wife's older sister has hearing loss so using a standard mobile is awkward and she has unlimited "free" landline to landline calls, we don't have a usable landline, so next time I visit her I am going to get her set up on Skype and she can use headphones/headset.

Other members of my wife's family use it as well, so it is becoming a very good one stop shop communication tool.

Skype is one of those tools that become better with use, no good signing up and then never turning it on and with all tools, if you don't use them, they are useless paper weights..

We also have Office 365 so we get 60 minutes UK landline calls and I have since added some credit so I sometimes dial phones from Skype and I have just got a Skype number, the idea is that I give this out to delivery people, companies who would start texting me if I gave them my mobile etc. (You can't at the moment get texts this way as it counts as a landline).

One of Skype's biggest issues that I can see is "Dead" accounts, people who show up in the directory but gave up using Skype two years ago, so you send a contact request and never hear back.............

They (Skype) are also going through many changes (Some crap decisions, see above) and hopefully SMS and mobile call from PC integration is coming (In a few years carriers will change as almost all calls go VOIP instead of traditional calling methods) so this could all change but at the moment Skype for all it's faults is still a potentially good tool.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Re: Bobvfr,
Thank you so very much for the good/great personal information & personal story. I think, sharing these real life stories, educates & informs the rest of us. (For those, who will listen.)

Best Wishes,
Kevin

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Funny I was using the UWP skype app the other day.... Where all all the settings?

In the desktop app you have so many settings for your mic/speakers/camera etc.. Are we ever going to get those?!

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I have kept the desktop program on my PC just for that reason, although the new app is working fine with my stuff anyway, but I un-installed it from my SP3.

So far no need to use it but if I need it is there as an "admin" program, I suppose they will keep updating the desktop version for some time.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Funny I was using the UWP skype app the other day.... Where all all the settings?

In the desktop app you have so many settings for your mic/speakers/camera etc.. Are we ever going to get those?!
Perhaps all the settings are not there yet because the app is still being developed and is still called Skype Preview?

Tracy Daken

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
You know there is a problem when your blackberry passport with an android skype works instantly in video and messaging, compared to barely working and crashing on your FLAGSHIP Lumia 950. I loved the UI of the windows platform. I am done. And skype was one of the apps that drove this.

eddieDOTexe

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I wonder when the hell they're going to purge all the Messenger contacts from directory because its absurd how some contacts are available online for my friends but not for me despite both of us being on their contact list.Take my mother for example, who shows up as live:eek:ldexamplehotmail27@hotmail.com and 1:eek:ldexamplehotmail27@hotmail.com The "live:" contact is online for me, but the "1:" contact is offline. When you sign into my dad's skype using the same exact build of skype preview.. both accounts are online. And thats just the beginning. This issue is inconsistent as hell and frustrating. You can remove the contact that shows up as offline but eventually the contact that DOES show up as online will also be removed at a later time and you have to re-add thembothagain.Go figure. Its been how many years since the merge and this thing is still a mess. Also **** these forums can't even format my posts into separate paragraphs. Enjoy your wall of text guys.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre