Skype to replace Messaging - Opinion

RealtorTechGuy

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
So I have 950 running .693, Surface Pro 4 running. 693. Thinking of switching to Skype for integrated messaging. I like the idea of one app and receiving txt on PC. But, when I tried this before it was buggy.

Looking for current opinion. Is Skype as a single app replacement for the Messaging app stable for daily use?

Feedback is appreciated.

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
No, IMO. Too tired for in depth feedback, but it's just not ready. Doesn't restore all texts, can't receive contact info attachment, can't switch to video call from phone app. Inconsistent notification sounds. Buggy interface(typing doesn't show). Etc etc

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
You can still use the regular text app as well as the skype app. All information still goes the the regular text app

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
it just changes what app tells you there is a text. the native app is still there and will even show the live tile notification. you can use both is the gist.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I've been using Skype for a few months now and like it. I love sitting on my Surface sending and receiving text messages. Are there bugs, yeah, a few, but way less than there were at the end of 2016 and they are bugs I am willing to live with.

The one thing I don't like about it though, if I am out and texting with friends people at my house can read whats going on.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Originally posted by etphoto
I've been using Skype for a few months now and like it. I love sitting on my Surface sending and receiving text messages. Are there bugs, yeah, a few, but way less than there were at the end of 2016 and they are bugs I am willing to live with.

The one thing I don't like about it though, if I am out and texting with friends people at my house can read whats going on.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

Texting is fine for Skype to Skype, but I dont believe you can send to SMS anymore like you could before they splinter ir from the messaging app. Please correct me if im wrong.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
skype is crap period... it used to work good but now it sucks... its unusable on my phones and always has been...

Mark F24

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
Texting is fine for Skype to Skype, but I dont believe you can send to SMS anymore like you could before they splinter ir from the messaging app. Please correct me if im wrong.

I am on 950 DS fast ring 15205.0. I noticed a couple builds back Skype looked different. I have been using it as default, the only thing I have noticed is Cortana will read incoming texts and reply normally, resuming any audio I was listening to doesn't always resume.

Skype version # 11.13.133.0

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I just turned it back on today. while it looks better than it did 5mos ago, first thing I noticed on the creators update is that it doesn't show in the sharing list of apps.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site

elvard

Jul 30, 2016
Visit site
Buggy to put it lightly. Tells me there was a problem and "retry" sending text - text actually went through. Live tile shows that I received a text - I open skype NO text. I get a notification that I received a text - I open skype - NO text. Texts are supposed to sync between devices - let me pause here for laughter. Why on earth MS can't figure this out is beyond me - how long has it been since they bought skype?

celticmagick

May 23, 2015
Visit site
I've been using the Skype app for SMS (as an all in one solution) and find it rather annoying. It is slow to load, you can't send a true MMS (the picture and text are sent as separate messages, for example), still no transparent tile for mobile even though they said it was coming in an update soon, among other little UI and function annoyances.

My question for the OP and others in this thread,

I'm thinking of going back to the Messaging app but want to have the option to reply to texts if I'm on my PC. Is it correct that Cortana still allows this to happen? I found an older article stating this but was wondering if things have since changed.

Thanks!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99