Smartwatches that are compatible with Windows Phone?

Kris Simundson

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've actually been wondering about this. My understanding has been that WP8 does not expose incoming SMS or email notifications to 3rd party apps (calls can be handled via standard Bluetooth protocols). Does anyone know how the Kreyos manages to get around such restrictions?

More than likely are working direct with M$ or are banking on WP8.1

TruPlaya187

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I've actually been wondering about this. My understanding has been that WP8 does not expose incoming SMS or email notifications to 3rd party apps (calls can be handled via standard Bluetooth protocols). Does anyone know how the Kreyos manages to get around such restrictions?
I had the same question and I've sent an email to Kreyos. When I will receive their answer, I will post back.

badplanet

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I can see 3 ways this could turn out.

1) MS gave them access to the privileged APIs.
2) They could provide incoming call notifications if the watch can handle Bluetooth profiles like HFP. They could provide the caller name if they can receive PBAP. The could provide music control with AVRCP. And they could provide message notifications with the MAP profile Nokia announced in October.
3) They could offer some basic features like Pebble Watch Pro does for the Pebble on Windows Phone and offer more when the WP8.1 update, to be announced in April at the Build conference, ships.

I am wondering the same for the Agent watch when it ships, since it is supposed to support WP8.

TruPlaya187

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi, So I got an email back from them with the information provided. Here it is:
-------
Thanks for the email. We can really tell you're excited about the Meteor. We can't help but be excited ourselves! We've seen the watch in action, and as far as we can tell - it's DEFINITELY going to be worth the wait.

To answer your first question: Yes! There will be no issues since the watch is compatible to all known Windows devices. You can make and receive calls and text messages through the it without any problems! Not to mention provide you with on-time email notifications.

To answer your second question: we plan to start shipping the watch to our backers by mid to late February. We'll keep you posted on any developments through our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/kreyos.

The Meteor is coming, so stay tuned. We'd love to hear what you think about it once you have it. Thanks again and keep in touch!

The Kreyos Team
Visit our support forums at Customer Feedback & Ideas for Kreyos

Email: support@kreyos.com
Twitter: @mykreyos
Facebook: facebook.com/kreyos

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
In all likelihood, they're probably working with Microsoft. I'm going to liberally speculate and say that they're pushing Windows Phone compatibility with WP 8.1 and are going to be among the 'big' vendors who will have access to the OS as well as privileged APIs. Furthermore, there's a team within the WP team at MSFT that is working on wearable tech compatibility and concepts and are testing prototype smartwatches, lenses, bands, etc. with Windows Phone 8.1. Yes... all hopeful speculation on my end :)

masterchief1984

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if its the geek in me or what but I would love to have a fully functional smart watch to go with my 1520. And working in a call center environment it would be perfect so I can answer texts without having to worry about being caught on the phone.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I've been looking at the Kreyos and the Agent smartwatch and they both actually look pretty cool....I'm just a little bit sketchy of how they can claim to control music playback, receive notifications and such when Pebble/other wearables can't...I wouldn't want to bank my money on something that doesn't work

TruPlaya187

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I've been looking at the Kreyos and the Agent smartwatch and they both actually look pretty cool....I'm just a little bit sketchy of how they can claim to control music playback, receive notifications and such when Pebble/other wearables can't...I wouldn't want to bank my money on something that doesn't work

I think that with the WP 8.1 update that will change a lot. But if you want to be safe, wait until the product is out and check out some reviews. For sure there will be plenty.!!!

badplanet

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
The Pebble can control Music and FM Radio in addition to Calendar, Twitter, Battery and Network notifications today on WP8. In addition there is an app that can install watch faces/apps and install firmware updates again from WP8 on the Pebble. There still are many limitations but hopefully they will be overcome with the WP8.1 update we have all heard about in the last few days.

The Agent and Kreyos team keep saying that their watches will fully support WP but both have refused to provide any information on how they will do that and what features they will specifically support. Meanwhile they keep pushing the delivery back with no real announced delivery date.

I backed all 3 of the watches (Pebble, Agent and Kreyos) and have hundreds of hours invested in a couple Pebble apps. I don't think there is anybody who wants to know how they will do what they are saying more than me. I know they could do call notifications and music control with Bluetooth but how they will run in the background or intercept SMS is a mystery to me.

Last edited:

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
The Pebble can control Music and FM Radio in addition to Calendar, Twitter, Battery and Network notifications today on WP8. In addition there is an app that can install watch faces/apps and install firmware updates again from WP8 on the Pebble. There still are many limitations but hopefully they will be overcome with the WP8.1 update we have all heard about in the last few days.

The Agent and Kreyos team keep saying that their watches will fully support WP but both have refused to provide any information on how they will do that and what features they will specifically support. Meanwhile they keep pushing the delivery back with no real announced delivery date.

I backed all 3 of the watches (Pebble, Agent and Kreyos) and have hundreds of hours invested in a couple Pebble apps. I don't think there is anybody who wants to know how they will do what they are saying more than me. I know they could do call notifications and music control with Bluetooth but how they will run in the background or intercept SMS is a mystery to me.

As badplanet and bilzkh said before, MS might be giving them priority access to new APIs in WP8.1 ahead of time so development won't take long...I'd imagine a new notification API or something wouldn't sound to outlandish considering 8.1 is supposed to bring a notification centre and more granular notification controls. I'd imagine the API would allow for notifications to pass-through on other devices using either a new protocol or something that is currently out there (sorry I'm no dev, but I was a while ago when I fiddled with iOS) which the OS would keep running in the background as a single notifications process like iOS and Android. And in relation to the Pebble on WP, personally I find that current support is almost zero as you have to the screen on, with the app open in your pocket....so why not just use your phone anyways for the mean time?!!

badplanet

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
You only need the lock screen disabled for full music control. If you selected a large playlist or all songs they should continue to play under the lock screen if you do not pause a song. This is an OS limitation. All the notifications and FM music control works fine under the lock screen. Because of the limitations of running a 3rd party app continuously in the background I just hit the tile to launch the app when I am working or not going to be actively using my phone. That way I receive Calendar and Twitter notifications while I am doing something else.

I agree it is not a great experience but it is what is possible today. When people ask me if they should buy a Pebble to use with WP8, I tell them I would not recommend it. When Pebble watch owners contact me about moving to Windows Phone from Android or IOS, I tell they will not have a good experience with the Pebble at this time. The existing apps at least provide something to people who moved to WP anyway or without knowing the limitations.

Since all the Pebble sample notifications work in the app I expect it will not take too long to add phone, SMS, email and other notifications once there is a way to do this in WP8.1. The ball is in the MS court. They are the only ones that can fix this.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Hate to be a party crasher but, what is so fascinating about a smartwatch? Answer calls and SMS, really? I can't see a full qwerty on a device that small so what's it going to be, a T9? Isn't that the reason we moved away from flip phones, to enjoy larger screens, full keyboards?

I think it would be cool to look like **** Tracy, but only for a minute.

edit: Wow, the censors didn't like Richard's name.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077