Has anyone pre-ordered the Kairos Smartwatch yet?

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Curious if anyone here has pre-ordered... https://kairoswatches.com/

The early bird price is killer but the fact it's a startup, actual design may vary, no demo units can be seen and no cancellations are available has me nervous to drop $499USD.

Personally it's the only smartwatch I've seen so far I'd actually buy. I love watches and this watch even aside the smartwatch features I feel still make it a beauty. I'm still really curious to see how the transparency looks on the final product. 40% transparency isn't that great.

watch_large_noReflection_ssw_all.jpg

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I've been looking at those. They've demoed the screen tech, and the idea of ability to swap-out the electronics as the platform develops is intriguing. But yes, I ain't slapping down several hundred bucks until I've seen them.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Out of all the smartwatches, this is about the only one I really like the look of. I need to hear how well it works before I would even think about dumping $500+ on a smartwach.

Other questions I have, does it have a microphone and speaker? can I call up Cortanna by just hitting a button on it, can I reply to voice texts via it, can I receive a call via speakerphone over the watch ? etc...

No question, sounds neat and looks awesome, everything I would want with a watch that would look good when I dress up, or just lounging around in jeans and a t-shirt...

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
There's nothing other than a prototype unit, and they've gone worryingly quiet. It's a pity, as it's the only classy looking design.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Still in Pre-order stage, has anyone heard of them actually shipping any of these and ARE they compatable with Windows phone like they said it would be (but, as more and more watches come out I am hearing this story more and more)

zero157h7

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I know this is an old thread but it is STILL in preorder. They were supposed to have been released by now but I had to push things back (this has been a common problem for smartwatch makers new to the business.) They are planning on releasing this year and have received venture funding which helps to ease my mind on it becoming more than vaporware. They have also announced a new product that will bring smart functions to a band that can work with any standard watchband layout.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Well, looks like progress, some actual images of watches...

Actual photos of MSW 115 Hybrid models! | Kairos

I still will have to see/hold one before I would buy it...

Still no word on a release date or anything on them, it's been a long time and still for users here, even though they said it but, will it have full Windows Phone support on release....that is a big question for me.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Nice to see the pics. The white face is definitely clearer. The case though, that's hugely cheaper-looking than the original designs. Too sporty for me. I want a smart watch. Not a fitness band.
​No details on connectivity yet from these guys. And the comments make me laugh.
​Still, they've not gone broke yet, so maybe they'll get them out the door.
​Reckon I'll see if/how their second-gen goes. Unless they knock it out the park on first go.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I emailed them asking when these watches will be shipping and asked about WP support...
This is the reply I got...

Shipment for MSW model will begin from April 2015, SSW from May 2015 and
T-band from June 2015.

Our watch will support windows phone.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Hmm those photos were not what I was expecting, the translucency of the display is disappointing. I used to have a Casio Databank that had analogue hands under a digital display and both could be seen clearly so I was expecting something more like that. https://e-presentes.com.br/6658-thi...-relogio-casio-twincept-databank-original.jpg

Well, you kind of have it reversed there. the watch is a watch and there is a thin layer on top for the display.

As I agree with you on the pictures but, I don't want to judge it 100% till I see one in person. The concept is great but, let's see how it looks in the real world...

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Which is exactly what the Casio was (except it was a quartz analogue instead of automatic).

If I am looking at it correctly, The LCD on the Casio is the FACE of the watch, behind the watch hands (or under, how ever), The Kairos has it on the glass with a see through display (on the outer glass, not on the face). I don't think it's possible that the Casio was the same, a LCD behind the hands, sure, was possible years ago, but, the OLED color clear see through display, is rather new in the tech world...

Anyway about it, neat tech for it's day....

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
If I am looking at it correctly, The LCD on the Casio is the FACE of the watch, behind the watch hands (or under, how ever)

No, the Casio is definitely in front of the hands (just below the outer glass). My display stopped working do I pulled it apart and it's sitting on the desk in front of me it goes face -> hands -> see through LCD -> glass. When it worked anything displayed on the LCD would block the hands. Here's some better images of different models in the range: http://casiogshock.watches-reviews.com/uploads/casio-databank-5.jpg
http://thumbnail.image.rakuten.co.jp/@0_mall/auc-spot/cabinet/databank/img57238692.jpg

The display was LCD & only showed one colour (black) but it was a LOT more see through than the Kairos images. If it wasn't displaying anything then I wouldn't have known it was there.

Penguwin

VR Expert
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
For anyone still interested in the Kairos concept, CNET released a video of a prototype watch on YouTube HERE.

Here's hoping they can pull it off!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss