Microsoft please stop playing catch up to Android and Apple...again

Shobin Drogan

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
smartwatch | Windows Phone Central
Remember the amount of rumors back then surrounding the MS smartwatch and that many people even ones who aren't invested in the windows ecosystem was very interested because of how the cards UI on a small screen would be absolutely PERFECT?
Well where is MS's watch? Recently there is no rumors or even any news regarding this, what happened to it? Did they kill the project?
If they did, they have to start ALL over again like windows phone.
They have to struggle and try to claw the 1-2 percent market share and compete with the existing big competitors, when EVERYONE already has a smartwatch, thats not good at all. Lets hope MS haven't killed the plans yet.
Right now smartwatches are only very recently taking off, It is still NOT too late for MS to develop a smartwatch that can support all platforms.

A smartwatch that supports all platforms have yet to be seen, and it something im sure many people would love to try because it gives them ultimate freedom and they don't have to be invested into one particular phone. Imagine an Android user who jumps back and forth from IOS, that user would want a watch that is compatible to both his devices, as of now, NO watch can deliver that experience, if the rumors are true and MS IS indeed making a cross platform watch, it would be an easy win.

As beautiful as the Moto 360 or the upcoming iwatch is going to be, form can only take you so far. MS has a chance to ace this, lets hope they do.
The rumors state they would release the watch sometime in October, which would be absolutely perfect in timing if they do.

If they want people to invest in their ecosystem, this would not only benefit MS as a company but more people would also try out windows phones if they like the windows style UI on the watches.
Microsoft has a habit of being late to the party or too early if you consider the first tablet pc and kinect in xbox 360, this may well be the first time ever they are RIGHT on time.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Perhaps they were too early with Spot.
There's no watch that's compatible with windows phone for anything but basic call functionality. There's plenty of rumours the Surface team are working on a watch. And more rumours that it will be fitness-focussed. Which means it'll look shocking with a suit and they'll be excluding the business market. Time will tell.
Either way, buying the first generation product will be a gamble.

Shobin Drogan

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Agreed and whether or not if the product is a success, at least that gives MS the time to refine and address any bugs or problems that the watch may have.

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
The scenario has changed. Smartwatches aren't now what they used to be. It's the 'internet of things'. Every OS making company is trying to get into watches, tvs, fridges, microwaves, dishwashers, washing machines, cars, home automation systems, home security systems, you name it. Google introduced android wear, an OS specifically for watches with dedicated app store and current rumors surrounding iWatch also suggest it would come with its own OS and store. So, yes they only work with their own ecosystems. It isn't about fitness tracking and receiving notifications anymore. It is about integrated smart devices from phones to everything aforementioned and it is about being the prime platform provider to smart devices. So, no, I don't think MS will have any advantage in smartwatch market coming early any more than they have with windows phone.

Let them focus on their proprietary OS Windows and windows phone and services like Office, Outlook, Exchange, Onedrive, maps, search, Cortana and skype first. Maybe then they can work on platform for smartwatches and other smart devices.

Shobin Drogan

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft had a smart watch but it was ahead of its time...as usual. I posted about this not too long ago.
Yes i saw your post, it was a great read. Sadly the public didn't care much for it. MS likes to jump into the ring way too early. They are possibly the most underrated company when it comes to technological advancement.

Shobin Drogan

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
So, no, I don't think MS will have any advantage in smartwatch market coming early any more than they have with windows phone.

Let them focus on their proprietary OS Windows and windows phone and services like Office, Outlook, Exchange, Onedrive, maps, search, Cortana and skype first. Maybe then they can work on platform for smartwatches and other smart devices.

I'm going to agree AND disagree with that. Yes, they should keep working on their current platforms, and refining what they already have.
BUT MS's main worry right now is Google, Google has Android, which dominates windows phones and tablet sales, also as we all know tablets are slowly eating into PC sales which is where MS is making most of their profit.

If the current trend of smartwatches continue, MS will be in the back of the line again if they release it too late. Right now, MS has no smartwatch OS, Android already has and Apple is going to very soon.

The more the amount of people who start adapting their lives to a smartwatch, the more they will sink into their ecosystems. Simply put, the more Apple or Android devices out there, the less there is a need for Windows devices AND windows services, people just start to use alternative applications, like Google Drive rather than OneDrive even though we all know OneDrive is leaps and bounds better. And don't be surprised if more and more people prefer an alternative software or app to Microsoft Office which is the key selling point in every windows devices right now.

It goes without saying MS still needs to refine their Windows phone and windows OS. MS is a giant company unlike HTC, they don't just make few kinds of products, and im sure there is enough people to work on both a windows phone OS and a windows watch OS.

anon(8985111)

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
We shouldn't forget that Microsoft has never been a hardware company. If companies like Apple that are very strong at hardware need so much time to come up with their product and get optimization work done to achieve an acceptable battery life I find it highly unlikely that a company like Microsoft could release one that would feature good quality simultaneously. Business is oftentimes about having the experience and having gone through that learning curve. This is probably not what you want to hear, but from my point of view that will be perhaps the most important reason why we haven't seen a MS smartwatch yet.

snowwake8

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Unlike Apple, which just announced their watch and it won't release until early 2015, Microsoft likes to announce right before release. We see this all the time. Most phones are announced about 2 weeks before release. If Microsoft announces in the next 8 weeks and releases before the Holiday season they will have a good few months of sales before Apple releases their watch. This, I am hoping is what they do. And it make sense seeing that all signs point to their watch being cross-platform (apple, android, and windows phone). Here's to hoping I am right.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Don't forget though, Apple will do a (near enough) worldwide launch.

MS forget about anywhere outside the US.... until someone mentions it to them in an end-of-quarter meeting.

So in most markets both products will hit the stores at around the same time (if indeed MS has any product to launch in the coming weeks).

leo74

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Now that the Apple Watch is announced and the world can see that is it a rather expensive, toy looking device, MS could shake up the market by bringing a platform independent, gorgeous looking smart watch in time to benefit from the holiday shopping business.
Apple created awareness and MS could be the one benefiting from it by having the smart watch in the shelves before Apple does. Unfortunately it doesn't look like MS will bring a watch any time soon.
It is too bad.
I am surrounded by iPhone users who are unimpressed by the new iPhones and even less impressed by the Apple watch. Their common response to smart watches in general was though that they would jump on it if it were looking better and not that expensive and of course would work with their phones. This could be a massive opportunity, but it seems MSFT will be late to the game again.

StephanW

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Now that the Apple Watch is announced and the world can see that is it a rather expensive, toy looking device, MS could shake up the market by bringing a platform independent, gorgeous looking smart watch in time to benefit from the holiday shopping business.
Apple created awareness and MS could be the one benefiting from it by having the smart watch in the shelves before Apple does. Unfortunately it doesn't look like MS will bring a watch any time soon.
It is too bad.
I am surrounded by iPhone users who are unimpressed by the new iPhones and even less impressed by the Apple watch. Their common response to smart watches in general was though that they would jump on it if it were looking better and not that expensive and of course would work with their phones. This could be a massive opportunity, but it seems MSFT will be late to the game again.

They could, but it's Microsoft. No seriously. Even if they would get something OUTSTANDING, which they probably won't, then the holiday season isn't their thing. The holiday season in the states and here in the Netherlands is made for one thing: Apple, Apple to unpack. I've never heard someone saying they wanted a Galaxy S4,5 rather than the iPhone for Christmas. I would go even further than that, you would disappoint your child if you gave him or her other than the iPhone.

Microsoft should do their thing! Please don't make watches. Focus on Phone + OS.
Skype just got "location sharing" and I had to remind myself I heard that term once before in a keynote speech from Apple back in 2009. It's time for Microsoft fans to see that Microsoft only has one real chance: "Universal apps" and "One Windows for phone, laptop and desktop"

snowwake8

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
They could, but it's Microsoft. No seriously. Even if they would get something OUTSTANDING, which they probably won't, then the holiday season isn't their thing. The holiday season in the states and here in the Netherlands is made for one thing: Apple, Apple to unpack. I've never heard someone saying they wanted a Galaxy S4,5 rather than the iPhone for Christmas. I would go even further than that, you would disappoint your child if you gave him or her other than the iPhone.

Microsoft should do their thing! Please don't make watches. Focus on Phone + OS.
Skype just got "location sharing" and I had to remind myself I heard that term once before in a keynote speech from Apple back in 2009. It's time for Microsoft fans to see that Microsoft only has one real chance: "Universal apps" and "One Windows for phone, laptop and desktop"

This is exactly why you don't work for Microsoft. The wrist band/watch industry is a multi-billion dollar industry. It would be very unwise for Microsoft to not enter the market. Fit bit and jawbone are doing very well and the watch industry is going to expand on the same principles of those two companies. Of course Microsoft is going to enter the market. We have already seen patents. Now, will they do wrist bands and watches or just watches? They have an excellent opportunity to release a great product that will be cross-platform and potentially bring more customers to the Microsoft eco-system as well. I anticipate hearing an announcement in October.

leo74

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I anticipate hearing an announcement in October.

I sure hope you are right. Announcement in October and in stores rather sooner than later would be awesome.
What bugs me though is that we haven't really heard any "reliable" rumors and/or leaks. Everything surrounding a possible MS smart watch is basically dead silent. That is pretty unusual for a new product. We should have seen some images of parts leaking by now or some "credible" rumors from the usual sources. So far, I haven't really found anything.
That could either mean that MS is doing a really awesome job in keeping things secret and launching with a big bang, which would be amazing, but doesn't really fit MS mode of operation, or that an announcement in October would be only just that with availability sometime next year which might completely close the window of opportunity Apple just opened by creating awareness without having a product ready.
Hoping for the best here....

StephanW

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
This is exactly why you don't work for Microsoft. The wrist band/watch industry is a multi-billion dollar industry. It would be very unwise for Microsoft to not enter the market. Fit bit and jawbone are doing very well and the watch industry is going to expand on the same principles of those two companies. Of course Microsoft is going to enter the market. We have already seen patents. Now, will they do wrist bands and watches or just watches? They have an excellent opportunity to release a great product that will be cross-platform and potentially bring more customers
to the Microsoft eco-system as well. I anticipate hearing an announcement in October.

The car industry is doing very well too. And the phone market, and I can name more. But Microsoft should first "finish" a product which is an addition to the market instead of "playing with the kids". When you enter a certain market which is totally new you should be adding something to it. Either you hate or love Apple's Watch we can't deny that it's another step forwards compared to any other watch out there (even when it only works with the iPhone).

Microsoft hasn't even got enough market share to get into watches. And you want Microsoft to get into that ...

This is exactly why you don't work for Microsoft.

In my opinion you should not enter multiple "possibilities" but you should make products what people will love. Not make products because the market is booming.

leo74

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Not make products because the market is booming.

I have yet to find any business with the capability to benefit from a booming market who would not make products to take a piece of the cake.

The key is timing though and as I stated before: Microsoft would need a kick *** watch for all platforms and to truly benefit from the market, they would have to need it priced well below the Apple Watch and in stores no later than December 1st this year.
The Apple Watch is nothing but a series 1 device. Apple will still have a lot of work to do to make this an outstanding device, but at least they have the device out there in people's minds.
If Microsoft can get the watch right without the bloatware Apple put on their phone (photos on a screen less than 2 inches, really?) but instead base it around Cortana and let it act as a natural extension to your phone, they are not only bringing something to the market, but they are defining the market.
The best feature ever would be technology that connects the watch with the phone via BT AND/OR Wifi, so I can leave my phone at my desk when I take a break and still be able to see my notifications or respond with a quick "I'll call you back" text when I am in another room.

Marketshare is meaningless if you can be OS independent and offer killer features. It only becomes an issue if your watch only works with your phone.

StephanW

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
The key is timing though and as I stated before: Microsoft would need a kick *** watch for all platforms and to truly benefit from the market, they would have to need it priced well below the Apple Watch and in stores no later than December 1st this year.

We both know that's not gonna happen. USD 350,- isn't that much. Take the Fitbit, which can do a lot but actually only Health & Fitness and that's already 99 USD.

I stay to my point: Microsoft should first offer a good Windows 8.1 Pro on the dekstop and Windows Phone 8.1 on mobile phones. Some of us don't have 8.1 due to bitlocker not working. So let me ask you: Do you want Microsoft to be in every market or do you want Microsoft to make quality products?

I remember Apple doing some mistakes too! iPod Hi-Fi remember, Apple shouldn't have done that, Bose and others make much better products.

leo74

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Some of us don't have 8.1 due to bitlocker not working

Doesn't that only apply if you have the DP? If yes, it is of no concern for the average customer. So from the "normal customer perspective", WP 8.1 works just fine and since Threshold will come out soon, I don't see what MSFT doesn't get right on the desktop.

350 bucks for the watch is only the starting point. And yes, that is a high starting point for the average consumer.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99