How should Microsoft Smartwatch be?

SPIFF Costa

May 28, 2014
Visit site
So I think Apple Watch is kinda of a flop (in terms of inovation at least). What do you think Microsoft should do with their watch? Here's my 2 cents:

I think someone should make a "touch panel" at the begginning of each side of the wrist band. It could even not be apart of the wrist band itself but just looking like the begginning of the wrist band and the actual wrist band being right after that. I think it would eliminate the problem with pinching on the screen and stuff like that and even bring more types of functionality to the watch. I don't know if you can get my idea:straight:

SPIFF Costa

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Samsung-Gear-Live.jpg
That white rectangle that I added there (paint much) is what I mean by "touch panel". Having there a touch panel that controls the OS as well as the screen and another one on the other side. Something like that

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Possibly something like the optical tracker on older HTC handsets e.g. Wildfire, Desire would be good for watch screen navigation. But the Apple Digital Crown is a good idea too. Providing it doesn't break.
Apple seem to have the device right in terms of functionality. If MS are indeed working on something, Apple just beat them to it.

SPIFF Costa

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Possibly something like the optical tracker on older HTC handsets e.g. Wildfire, Desire would be good for watch screen navigation. But the Apple Digital Crown is a good idea too. Providing it doesn't break.
Apple seem to have the device right in terms of functionality. If MS are indeed working on something, Apple just beat them to it.

The reason I don't like the crown idea is I don't feel like it will be natural to go from touch screen to mechanical and back to touch. And you can see that on iPhone for exemple. You only have on physical button for the home screen (apart from volume and power that are necessary to be functional) and I think watches should have the same design. One button or crown for the home screen. I don't see myself enjoying na app by using touch and then "turning a wheel" and again touch.

Kiba85

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I think that Apple watch is overkill for a smartwatch, too many features. I don't want a smartwatch that does the same thing of my phone or try to replace it (but still need it).
I don't think that a smartwatch should have any specific app, what I want is a Cortana-watch.
Through Cortana we should be able to control our phones in our pocket, and Cortana-enabled apps on the phone could send and receive useful data thanks to her.
I mean, I want Cortana front & center on every MS product: the power of the cloud open endless possibilities.

leo74

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Better looking than Apple's toy looking device.
Center it around Cortana, show notifications and don't put as much bloatware on it as Apple did. I would NEVER watch pictures on a smart watch and I have no desire to be nudged by someone via my watch.

The most important part though: Have it work across all OS and have it in stores before the holiday shopping season for a reasonable price.

Apple raised awareness to a complete new level, but Apple also disappointed many. This is a huge opportunity to push a smart watch that works in the iOS environment as a clear alternative to the Apple watch.
MSFT could take a big chunk of the market if they would ride on that wave. I hope for the best, but prepare for the worst though.

SPIFF Costa

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Better looking than Apple's toy looking device.
Center it around Cortana, show notifications and don't put as much bloatware on it as Apple did. I would NEVER watch pictures on a smart watch and I have no desire to be nudged by someone via my watch.

The most important part though: Have it work across all OS and have it in stores before the holiday shopping season for a reasonable price.

Apple raised awareness to a complete new level, but Apple also disappointed many. This is a huge opportunity to push a smart watch that works in the iOS environment as a clear alternative to the Apple watch.
MSFT could take a big chunk of the market if they would ride on that wave. I hope for the best, but prepare for the worst though.

One of the big problems with smartwatches today is the battery life. I don't like the Bluetooth connectivity between the phone and the watch because it sucks the battery of both devices. I think the watch market will really boom once someone figures that out. But for now, maybe a watch centered around Cortana will mean more battery life. Since Cortana brings so much to the table it wouldn't need much more.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
How should it be? It should be discontinued and resources/money reassigned to work on other WP/Xbox/Windows fixes. Smart watches are a gimmick and complete waste of money, IMO.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I can't wait for a smart watch. And I don't think MS should wait. They were already late to the game with WP. I don't think they can afford to be late to another market. I hope they launch something soon.

Donny James

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Well I know for sure it should not be just one design fits all approach. The one good thing about Apple's watch is the different color variation the face and bands and the different type of bands have, so not every watch will look alike. Also I think its good they released two sizes. Options is one of the big problems with smartwatches. Less we all end up with the star trek uniform problem.

As far as looks;

I think having a rectangular face and a circle face would be good, big and small, with leather and metal and plastic bands all with different colors (Black, Gold, Silver) that match regular watches not colorful like our Lumia's. Probably all wont ship at once but in time.

UI;

The user interface needs to be simple and easy to navigate. I believe every thing should be touch screen and only touch screen. If there needs to be a button there should only 1 like a home button. But I really think it should be touch screen only. Every task should be able to be accomplished with the 4 corners of the screen and taps and double taps. I don't think they should reinvent the wheel. Google has touch controls only and a standard needs to be adhered to for the user's sake.

So Nice design of the watch and simple to use UI.

P.S. I think having a watch that does everything your phone does is rather redundant and a little piontless. But hey that's just me.

Donny James

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I can't wait for a smart watch. And I don't think MS should wait. They were already late to the game with WP. I don't think they can afford to be late to another market. I hope they launch something soon.

Microsoft will make it is late to another market. The only market I see them not being late to is the "Internet Of Things" market.

SPIFF Costa

May 28, 2014
Visit site

I read some rumors that Microsoft was on the works of something like a smartwatch and even new patents, so I'm hoping something new is coming, maybe by the end of the year. But apple smartwaches will only be release in 2015 so Microsoft still has some time given that the smartwatch market isn't very successful right now.

SPIFF Costa

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Well I know for sure it should not be just one design fits all approach. The one good thing about Apple's watch is the different color variation the face and bands and the different type of bands have, so not every watch will look alike. Also I think its good they released two sizes. Options is one of the big problems with smartwatches. Less we all end up with the star trek uniform problem.

As far as looks;

I think having a rectangular face and a circle face would be good, big and small, with leather and metal and plastic bands all with different colors (Black, Gold, Silver) that match regular watches not colorful like our Lumia's. Probably all wont ship at once but in time.

UI;

The user interface needs to be simple and easy to navigate. I believe every thing should be touch screen and only touch screen. If there needs to be a button there should only 1 like a home button. But I really think it should be touch screen only. Every task should be able to be accomplished with the 4 corners of the screen and taps and double taps. I don't think they should reinvent the wheel. Google has touch controls only and a standard needs to be adhered to for the user's sake.

So Nice design of the watch and simple to use UI.

P.S. I think having a watch that does everything your phone does is rather redundant and a little piontless. But hey that's just me.

I agree. I think a Cortana centric watch would be great since it already gives you news, weather and interests and it can be added more on the server at anytime. Apart from Cortana it should have some settings for customization, a few bing apps like fitness and health, maps and notifications. This is what I find useful right now on a watch. Maybe a reject and answer calls/messages. But since you have to have your phone closeby anyway I don't think it's necessary. I think it should only have things that makes you stare at your watch for no more than a minute. Even a minute sounds too much.

ininjam

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Here's my idea (should trademark this,) rectangle watch is fine, I have one, goes well with Windows, but make it have wireless charging contacts ON THE SIDE of the device. Then make a good-looking wireless charging tray to compliment it. Add Bluetooth in, so whenever you leave it on the tray, Cortana will be automatically activated and at your command. Heck, make it so that she can interact with other Bluetooth devices connected to that tray, like a bridge connection. Watch everyone foaming over the mouth and killing to get one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720