Windows SmartWatch

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Sadly, I doubt that a proper SmartWatch is coming in the near future.
Apple has released several variants of their iWatch, and from everything I've seen and heard, they're quite the device. They're being sold as watches, not miniature smartphones. Their UI is ingenious, design is beautiful and with the Apple brand...they're going to sell. By the truckload.
If Windows doesn't release their SmartWatch soon-of which there's no solid rumors of that I've seen-they'll once again be nothing but the underdogs. They'll follow after Android and Apple, releasing a device people hear about but don't really care about. Only true Windows fans will buy it, and in all likeliness it'll probably be a disappointment.
I really wish for a Windows watch, with a circular face and beautiful metal design and a UI designed beautifully for a small screen, integrated around Cortana with in depth features. But I don't see it happening, at least not soon. If Microsoft does suddenly release a watch out of the blue, I think it'll most likely be little more than a fitness band with a touch screen, cheap design and a disappointing UI. It'll probably be plastic, with a strap most people will replace and the kind of interface every critic will fart on.

But who knows, maybe I'm wrong and Microsoft is working on something amazing, and when it comes out I'll be so excited to pair it with my amazing Windows device. Maybe Microsoft will pull a small miracle, coming in after the competition released their latest devices and still managing to get a foothold in the SmartWatch market with their first attempt.
Apple certainly managed to get a foothold with their first attempt and their device hasn't even been released. The way every review in the world praises every feature of the iWatch, they did something special.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Excuse me? The iWatches are ugly, from the watches themselves to the UI. Not as ugly as some I've seen, but ugly nonetheless. Honestly, a Moto 360 w/Android Wear is far prettier (and far more capable) than some silly iWatch. The only reason people are flipping out is because it has an Apple logo and it's been hyped up literally for years.

It's not a bad device, per se, but it's just such a niche device, especially since it doesn't really bring anything new or innovative to the table.

The smartwatch market has yet to take off, so we don't have to worry about missing any kind of boat just yet.

ininjam

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Agree, the Apple Watch (Apple even missed a branding opportunity here by not adding an 'I') is just nothing special. In fact I think it's rather clunky, with two ways of interacting with the device and everything (seriously, turning a tiny knob on a watch is just not comfortable at all, let alone making it a main way of constant interaction.) Even the UI looks problematic, round icons on a square display that small is just a waste of space, and there are so many of them. They might look ok on a big projected screen, but it's not going to work too well in real-life usage.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
It is officially called the iWatch, that is confirmed.

But yeah, words cannot describe how much I'm face palming over the fact they're so round icon heavy on something they designed to have a square display.

When you're working with so little, every pixel counts, and they just found creatively ugly ways to waste it.

Gotta wait and see what Microsoft cooks up, bur for now: Moto 360 is king of the hill.

EDIT: WTF? Apple Watch? That's so stupid... And I guess everyone else thought so, seeing as even iMore kept reporting it as the iWatch for several hours after the announcement.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft's being cagey about smartwatches and wearables precisely because it doesn't want a SPOT, Zune, or "it has no keyboard!" moment again.

It probably wanted to see what Google and Apple (especially Apple) would do before jumping in with its own solution. Right now we have two opposite approaches to smartwatches, i.e. Android Wear being a walled garden and Apple Watch being a full OS in a watch formfactor.

Right away I can see a couple of problems with what Google and Apple are doing. Firstly, this idea of cramming fitness and health related stuff into the watch is a bad idea. They're cramming way too much into these devices, hence adding unnecessary weight, costs and bulkiness.

What Microsoft may do is fully split the health and fitness stuff from the general smartwatch. With one common platform they can produce a pure fitness and health focused band on the one hand, and a smartwatch on the other. The smartwatch could be oriented around being social, location and general extensibility with phones, tablets, the web and Xbox, etc.

Two devices. Each $199. Cross-platform.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
It probably wanted to see what Google and Apple (especially Apple) would do before jumping in with its own solution. Right now we have two opposite approaches to smartwatches, i.e. Android Wear being a walled garden and Apple Watch being a full OS in a watch formfactor.

Right away I can see a couple of problems with what Google and Apple are doing. Firstly, this idea of cramming fitness and health related stuff into the watch is a bad idea. They're cramming way too much into these devices, hence adding unnecessary weight, costs and bulkiness.

What Microsoft may do is fully split the health and fitness stuff from the general smartwatch. With one common platform they can produce a pure fitness and health focused band on the one hand, and a smartwatch on the other. The smartwatch could be oriented around being social, location and general extensibility with phones, tablets, the web and Xbox, etc.

Two devices. Each $199. Cross-platform.

Uhh I think you got it the other way around - Android Wear is the more open platform and Apple Watch is the walled garden - and both aren't full OSs (although Android Wear could probably be rooted to run other apps).

People like the idea of self-quantifiable data (I'm pretty sure that's the right word) and people like the idea of wearables. Combining the two makes common sense from that perspective - although I can see your point with the bulkiness....but like the smartphone watches will get smaller and lighter as the technology in that sector improves.

I think people still want a combined fitness-everyday watch device (such as myself and all my friends), which is why the Apple Watch strikes most consumers as a nice compromise. However I recognise that if there was a dedicated fitness band aimed specifically at people who would buy it for fitness it would probably do a better job, plus a dedicated 'normal' watch could be thinner, lighter and have better battery life. Now I'm sounding more pushy but ideally MS would release three different form-factors for now (until the technology allows a combination of them all with a reasonable compromise, similar to the Surface 2/Pro 2 - SP3 scenario) - a dedicated fitness band designed specifically for exercise, a dedicated "daily" watch with epic battery life and functions handy for those who don't exercise, and a combination of the former two. Three sounds a little silly but you get what I mean.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
For *my personal* preferences, all I really want from a wearable band/watch at this point is a "remote" for the basic functions of the phone:
  • Caller ID - So I don't have to remove phone from my pocket
  • Ignore Call - If I want to answer it, I'll do so with the phone, Same with End Call. I don't want any call voice capabilities. Talking at your wrist is dumb.
  • Music Controls: Start/Stop/Pause/Skip. Maybe Volume
  • Start/Stop/Pause workout. This would need an integration with say, Bing H&F, Runtastic, etc. Along with those, a heartrate monitor.
  • Oh, an actual clock display
  • Undecided on Alarms and notifications....

• I really think that for the smartwatch category to take off, it needs to start basic and simple and then expand features as the hardware and battery tech allow. I've become convinced the full featured out of the gate approach (Apple Watch) is doomed to stagnate the market with consumers frustrated over size/battery life/complexity.

Trevor Wolfe

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
Check out this beautiful windows concept smartwatch. With Apple Watch on the horizon is a Microsoft Smartwatch in the works? | TechnoWolf

Unfortunately Microsoft will not be releasing a full fledged smartwatch until sometime next year as current smartwatches are still a bit gimmicky and ugly. The hardware just isn't there quite yet. The good news is the Microsoft is making a fitness band that is set to be unveiled in October and will work with the health and fitness app across all three major platforms.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
At this point a smartwatch will be seen as a "Me too" product. I much rather see Microsoft take the lead in the Smart Home line of products.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Agree, the Apple Watch (Apple even missed a branding opportunity here by not adding an 'I')...
I'm not so sure about that. I reckon it's genius. How many people actually wear a watch these days? Other than expensive proper timepieces, not many. By marketing as Watch, the word will come to be synonymous with their product. "Have you got a Watch?", "Is that a new Watch?", "Let me check my Watch". The capitalisation of the W won't be heard, but the association with the brand will be made. All other smartwatches will have to fight that perception (even MS who had a watch years ago). And some will end up with rubbish names like Gear.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
"iWatch" was already registered in a lot of places

Plus Swatch also had registered "iSwatch" and had dropped hints they would object to Apple using "iWatch."

Honestly, after "iPod", "iPhone", and 'iPad", it became quite obvious to others that it would be advantageous to register names with an "i" prefix and expect residual benefits, either through name association or negotiating the rights back to Apple....

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm not so sure about that. I reckon it's genius. How many people actually wear a watch these days? Other than expensive proper timepieces, not many. By marketing as Watch, the word will come to be synonymous with their product. "Have you got a Watch?", "Is that a new Watch?", "Let me check my Watch". The capitalisation of the W won't be heard, but the association with the brand will be made. All other smartwatches will have to fight that perception (even MS who had a watch years ago). And some will end up with rubbish names like Gear.

I still think it's stupid... We don't have the Apple Pod, Apple Phone, Apple Pad, etc.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
the apple watch is pretty friggin ugly... not the watch itself (well, the watch itself is a bit feminine, sorry if you're feminine)... but the UI is fugly:

rsz_apple-2014-watch-11-1280x853-610x406.jpg

seriously, you want this honeycomb design???

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
the apple watch is pretty friggin ugly... not the watch itself (well, the watch itself is a bit feminine, sorry if you're feminine)... but the UI is fugly:

View attachment 81209

I disagree - I like the honeycomb UI, but I think the rounded, chrome-covered watch is just plain ugly. To me it would look quite arrogant to wear something like that on your wrist, yet alone the 18k good version. I guess the gloss will eventually scratch off like it did on my iPod classic

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I disagree - I like the honeycomb UI, but I think the rounded, chrome-covered watch is just plain ugly. To me it would look quite arrogant to wear something like that on your wrist, yet alone the 18k good version. I guess the gloss will eventually scratch off like it did on my iPod classic

That's how I feel. While maybe not the best UI, I don't think it's AWFUL. It's the watch itself that I can't stand from a design standpoint.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
View attachment 81209

Sorry but look before you leap.........Honeycomb was a staple of Windows Mobile
ui1.jpg

I have said openly, I have never been in the Apple Fan club. I have hated everything Apple has done going back to the launch of the iPhone. Back when I was rockin Pocket PC and WinCE 3.0 in a Casio BE300 paired with a CF GSM card. I was Windows Phone before Windows PPC Phone Edition. I've been loyal and true since !!!!!

The Apple Watch turned my eye !!! This is the one product that could lead me away, if Microsoft doesn't act soon. I have been turned back by a Concept Microsoft design that hits the right balance in my mind...but my fear is I am sticking to a pipe dream.

Call it what you will, but in the long run yourself, and any others who drone on about how ugly the Watch is are not Apple's target. The iSheep will line up in huge numbers to be the first to get.....that is a given.

Microsoft is caught between a rock and a hard place......if they wait the risk becomes how many like myself will follow a wish for a true companion to a phone. Also a wait then brings up the reviews of Tech writers who already dislike Microsoft to call out copy cat.

Jump to early and miss the landing and you have another Zune.

All I can say is they have to push something forward to say they are in the game, just drilling in on the final details. Promote now for a later release like Apple, but get the buzz going !!!!!!!!

Because further delay will hurt Windows Phone in the long run, as truely with no companion to a Windows Phone what can they offer to people in my boat ( long wanting a Watch companion to a good phone), to stick around. The Apple Watch could cut deep into Windows Phone sales in future !!!!!!

e4et

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site

View attachment 81686

I have said openly, I have never been in the Apple Fan club. I have hated everything Apple has done going back to the launch of the iPhone. Back when I was rockin Pocket PC and WinCE 3.0 in a Casio BE300 paired with a CF GSM card. I was Windows Phone before Windows PPC Phone Edition. I've been loyal and true since !!!!!

The Apple Watch turned my eye !!! This is the one product that could lead me away, if Microsoft doesn't act soon. I have been turned back by a Concept Microsoft design that hits the right balance in my mind...but my fear is I am sticking to a pipe dream.

Call it what you will, but in the long run yourself, and any others who drone on about how ugly the Watch is are not Apple's target. The Apple fans will line up in huge numbers to be the first to get.....that is a given.

Microsoft is caught between a rock and a hard place......if they wait the risk becomes how many like myself will follow a wish for a true companion to a phone. Also a wait then brings up the reviews of Tech writers who already dislike Microsoft to call out copy cat.

Jump to early and miss the landing and you have another Zune.

All I can say is they have to push something forward to say they are in the game, just drilling in on the final details. Promote now for a later release like Apple, but get the buzz going !!!!!!!!

Because further delay will hurt Windows Phone in the long run, as truely with no companion to a Windows Phone what can they offer to people in my boat ( long wanting a Watch companion to a good phone), to stick around. The Apple Watch could cut deep into Windows Phone sales in future !!!!!!

Agreed, Microsoft needs to commit that they're working on something awesome and get the hype train rolling.

Last edited by a moderator:

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site

Call it what you will, but in the long run yourself, and any others who drone on about how ugly the Watch is are not Apple's target. The iSheep will line up in huge numbers to be the first to get.....that is a given.

Who cares what the Apple fans are doing? You live your life for yourself, not what the Apple fans are doing.

And right now, the Apple fans for the Apple watch don't exist as there are polls showing very few people actually interested in the Apple Watch (and this is polling just Apple owners).

And Windows Mobile is dead. Just because the Apple Watch UI has you reminiscing about the Windows Mobile design doesn't make it a good design.

Last edited by a moderator:

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Who cares what the Apple fans are doing? You live your life for yourself, not what the Apple fans are doing.

And right now, the Apple fans for the Apple watch don't exist as there are polls showing very few people actually interested in the Apple Watch (and this is polling just Apple owners).

And Windows Mobile is dead. Just because the Apple Watch UI has you reminiscing about the Windows Mobile design doesn't make it a good design.

Polls do not give any clear info as to how well a product will Launch or Die. A report ran on the news the other night that used the Toronto Mayors election as example. Polls showed a win for one, but actual votes picked the person in second or third.

Every Apple product at release has had a big buzz, big lines at the Apple stores, I would give that each Launch has seemed a touch smaller then the last, but the iSheep will line up. No matter what a poll says.

Also I do live my life for myself, and I don't care what Apple fans do, which is why I stated I have been Windows Phone fan before there was Windows Phone or Windows Mobile or Pocket PC Phone Edition. Prior to that was a Nokia 3360.

My point which you missed was the people like myself who could jump in future if Microsoft does not get up and take a swing at the wearable market.

That means money lost now that does not come back later. Microsoft is having trouble at 2.5%-3% market share right now, wait till Moto 360, Galaxy Gear, Apple Watch further drive WP sales down, as so far Microsoft has no offerings in the works. Not even solid rumors

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
The rumored Microsoft watch has me excited because it's not just trying to encapsulate a phone into a watch body. It has distinct features that adds new functionality. I really like the fitness angle especially since that's what I use a watch for. I bike, I swim, and I work out. If the Microsoft watch can make those activities better for me, then I'm happy.

And if the rumored features gives new gaming options, that's exciting as well...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte