At last SONY gets it.....it's about style, and does not need cute tricks.

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
What follows is obviously my opinion: I'm happy about the e-ink display, I think more smart watches should use it, but I'm not keen on the band unless they can do something unique with it or something more useful than just changing the pattern. A real watch band has texture and is 3D so light reflects off it in various ways, makes it seem 'richer'. Right now most of those 'bands' look a little too much like displays pretending to be a leather or stainless band and I imagine they might feel a little odd to touch. But if they could do something 'authentically digital' (to use a Microsoft design term) then that could be cool. Or if they could display notifications/info in a useful way.

In saying all that the plain white & black bands look good and I can understand the desire to custom your watch and make it look unique.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
the point of crowdsourcing is to help alleviate the burden off small-time developers with big dreams and insufficient resources to make those dreams come true.

To have Sony pretend to be one of those little guys so that they can get free development resources is horrible. In the old days, a company put forth their own money to develop a product. They would sell that product and reap the benefits. They assumed the risk in the hopes of reaping the benefits.

It originally made me uneasy that with crowdsourcing, suddenly the burden of a product's success fell onto the consumer rather than the company. It was terrible to read stories like Double Fine asking for $400K to make a game, then raising $3.5 million and then saying they didn't have enough money!!!

Now, I'm okay with crowdsourcing within certain parameters. Sony pretending to be one of the little guys does not fit my criteria.

Seriously, even if you are a huge Sony fan and believe this was done merely to gauge consumer interest, then Sony should step forth and say they will not take any of the money or even provide these watches for free for the backers' input and feedback.

There are much better ways to gauge interest then taking money from people to develop your product.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
the point of crowdsourcing is to help alleviate the burden off small-time developers with big dreams and insufficient resources to make those dreams come true.

To have Sony pretend to be one of those little guys so that they can get free development resources is horrible. In the old days, a company put forth their own money to develop a product. They would sell that product and reap the benefits. They assumed the risk in the hopes of reaping the benefits.

It originally made me uneasy that with crowdsourcing, suddenly the burden of a product's success fell onto the consumer rather than the company. It was terrible to read stories like Double Fine asking for $400K to make a game, then raising $3.5 million and then saying they didn't have enough money!!!

Now, I'm okay with crowdsourcing within certain parameters. Sony pretending to be one of the little guys does not fit my criteria.

Seriously, even if you are a huge Sony fan and believe this was done merely to gauge consumer interest, then Sony should step forth and say they will not take any of the money or even provide these watches for free for the backers' input and feedback.

There are much better ways to gauge interest then taking money from people to develop your product.

I see your point for the use of the crowd for the small developer, and I can agree with a standard.
However in this case I think the wearable market is so new, Market Research would not even give you a clue as to how people would react.

Now in this case any people who did indeed toss funds into the pot will end up with a good deal in the long run. As no doubt the price per unit at funding will be so much better then to buy if and when Sony goes to mass production.

This still holds huge risk for Sony in the long run, as they could start to push a mass market unit, and then find the Crowd Fund was all of the total consumer base.

I happen to think in this case it was smart for Sony to set up an outside design group to seek public interest and quiz the market, but to then admit to the Public this is what they did.
Sony is not a Fly By Night company, so any one who funded the project will get good value for money.

I for one would not be thought of as a Sony ******, as I only own 1 Sony product. A Sony Handicam for HD video. Now if I were to review it, I would not be singing to the high heavens about it, but seeing it was an end of line "All sales final", the price was very hard to beat.

I also think you may find in future more major Electronic Firms may do the same just to gauge Market interest. Basically to see who is willing to put their money where their mouth is.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
No way would I fund the development of Windows or Office or iPhones or Android or PS5s. This sets a terrible precedence when big-time companies start expecting customers to fund development of major products. Sure, Sony is on the verge of death but until they die, they shouldn't be pretending to be a little guy to get people's money.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Nice concept, no question, neat.... Besides changing band color and watch face, does it actually do anything else ? I I am going to get a "smartwatch" of a type, I expect it do basic notifications.

for $150ish, I cant expect much from it..

Darius Vilcinskis

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
I just want a watch that can show time, is comfortable to wear, shows notifications and allows to switch songs. That's it. No useless sensors.

I've always liked Sony hardware by the way. Let's wait and see.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes