Anyone get a Pebble Time yet ? Does it work with WP Pebble Notifications app ?

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Hey all,

If you didn't know, The Pebble time started shipping to Kickstarter supporters over the last week or 2. The official date from Pebble when anyone can pre-order is June 22nd. These watches have been showing up on ebay at crazy prices, so I know for sure that they are in people's hands now.

Here is a quote from Pebble (I had an issue with my watch and their support is AWESOME, only word I could think of)

Pebble support said:
JUN 09, 2015 | 08:27AM PDT
Kellen replied:

Hi Dave,

Thanks for letting us know.
Pebble Time pre-orders will begin on Monday, June 22.

You can head over to http://www.getpebble.com to sign up for our preorder list, and be notified when preorders are available.

Sincerely,
Kellen

So, as they are in hands, I was wondering if anyone on here was a Kickstarter and had a chance to test the Pebble Notifications app for Windows Phone ?

After having my pebble for about 2-3 months now, living with it day to day, I love it, it's one of the best new gadgets I have owned in a long time, I take my phone out of my pocket about 50% less during the day (notifications, Cortana, Email, calander, texts, Twitter, facebook MLB game updates, any app that I select that gives toast notifications ). And the best part, I charge it once a week (normally goes 8-10 days), try doing that with a Apple watch !

I would pre order a Pebble time (steel) if I knew 100% it works with the Pebble Notifications app that is in the store.

Anyone ?

Last edited:

badplanet

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I have a Pebble Time. Some of the users in the Pebble forums have tried the Pebble Connect app and reported that it does not work with the Pebble Time.

I developed Pebble Watch Pro and am working on adding support for the Pebble Time to it. I also have a Windows 8.1 Update 1 Pebble app I have been working on. It has the best parts of the Microsoft app and Pebble Watch Pro. The catch is that Microsoft needs to grant me access to the Accessory API in order to send notifications for things like phone calls, SMS, emails, Cortana and more. Today they denied me again.

The Microsoft app does not work with Pebble Time and will not work with Pebble OS 3.0 they are going to roll out to the original Pebble and Pebble Steel later this summer. On top of that it does not work with Windows Phone 10 preview.

I am affaid WP Pebble users will be left with no way to get notifications and apparently there is nothing I can do about it.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I have a Pebble Time. Some of the users in the Pebble forums have tried the Pebble Connect app and reported that it does not work with the Pebble Time.

I developed Pebble Watch Pro and am working on adding support for the Pebble Time to it. I also have a Windows 8.1 Update 1 Pebble app I have been working on. It has the best parts of the Microsoft app and Pebble Watch Pro. The catch is that Microsoft needs to grant me access to the Accessory API in order to send notifications for things like phone calls, SMS, emails, Cortana and more. Today they denied me again.

The Microsoft app does not work with Pebble Time and will not work with Pebble OS 3.0 they are going to roll out to the original Pebble and Pebble Steel later this summer. On top of that it does not work with Windows Phone 10 preview.

I am affaid WP Pebble users will be left with no way to get notifications and apparently there is nothing I can do about it.

WOW, that is disappointing. I guess I stick with my Pebble for now and avoid Windows 10 for phone.

Maybe we'll get lucky and Microsoft will update that beta in the store for Pebble time support but, who knows...

Crap, I was really looking forward to getting one too.... Oh, well... Another disappointment with Windows Phone...sigh...this is getting old..

Roderick Laird

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Can I be so bold as to ask whether a) they gave you a reason for denying API access and b) whether there is any hope of access being granted in the future?

badplanet

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
They said that the reason my access is denied is that the Accessory API is restricted to Device Manufactures. So if Pebble wanted to use it they could because they are the manufacturer. I am just a lowly third party developer or what Microsoft considers untrustworthy. Pebble has said numerous times they would not create an official Pebble app for Windows Phone.

I have been trying to get this access since 2013 when I released my first Pebble apps for Windows Phone. In February 2014 MS gave me an OK only to change their minds I March 2014.

There is a uservoice petition to allow me to get this access so I can use it with my Pebble apps at the following link:

https://windowsphone.uservoice.com/forums/101801-feature-suggestions/suggestions/6434069-please-allow-full-access-to-the-wearable-apis-in-w

We are at 917 votes. Maybe if it goes over 1000 something will kick in at MS. It would not hurt if as many people as possible voted for it.

YanivC

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Remember this is a numbers game, if enough people were on WP then every app would exist already.
I've actually worked on the Pebble OS for a bit now (JS side) and have reached out to both Pebble and MS regarding this topic numerous times. As far as Pebble is concerned, not enough users means there's not enough value in the effort (=cost too much).
Pebble has responded though that they are more than willing to help ANY developer create a solid WP app.
The advantage of windows is also what costs it in apps & developers. The OS is strong and safe (read secure) but in order to offer that safety for its users, it cannot simply allow any person to write code at the machine level. They need to KNOW that this developer is trustworthy and knows what he/she is doing, as a software developer trust me, it makes 1000000000% sense. Take a look at the nonsense that happens on Android phones. The amount of malware already prevalent and insecure apps. Apps that run without your permission, apps that side load other apps, its crazy town!

I'll be patient and wait for Windows Phone to slows take more market share and then the manufacturers wont have a choice. It will be more than worth the wait.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I'll be patient and wait for Windows Phone to slows take more market share and then the manufacturers wont have a choice. It will be more than worth the wait.

The sad part is I have been VERY patient on Windows Phone (from the first WP7 device I could get), and still, years later I am in the same boat. I love Windows Phone but, this is getting beyond old, How much patience should one have when it comes to modern tech ?

Wish Pebble would change their mind here or at least Microsoft get their crap together on their app and update it for the Time. The old Pebble working fully (as mine does), is a nice proof of concept, it does and can work perfectly.

I guess my only hope is that Pebble allows 3rd parties to create an app, or Microsoft updates their so called app.

sigh, waiting again...

There is a uservoice petition to allow me to get this access so I can use it with my Pebble apps at the following link:

https://windowsphone.uservoice.com/forums/101801-feature-suggestions/suggestions/6434069-please-allow-full-access-to-the-wearable-apis-in-w

We are at 917 votes. Maybe if it goes over 1000 something will kick in at MS. It would not hurt if as many people as possible voted for it.

I voted a while ago, would vote again if I could...

YanivC

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
DavidInCT, I feel ya. I've had WP since the day it was released, inf act I had the HD7 before that.
But, actually it is Pebble that is not interested not Microsoft. This isn't a Windows Phone OS issue, it is an issue that Pebble doesn't feel the small amount of devoted WP users are worth creating an app for. There simply isn't enough money in it yet for them.
If WP was tie with iPhone or Android, OF COURSE there would be a pebble app, they would be foolish not to.
Hang tight though, remember soon enough converting an Android or IOS app to WP will be almost no work, and at that moment all the vendors will start creating the app because... why wouldnt they? The same code base with minimal changes iwll run on it and they gain a whole new market? Of course they will. Those that don't are simply cutting their noses off to spite their faces.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
DavidInCT, I feel ya. I've had WP since the day it was released, inf act I had the HD7 before that.

You cant win that one...I've been using Microsoft Devices from HPC 1.0, in fact this is a picture I took of it about a month ago, I have been through every Windows Mobile/ PocketPC device through out the years, My favorite was the HX4705 HP and I had one till about a year ago. I still have a XV6785 (WM 6.5 device) that I keep for a backup phone (incase my phone dies)

Here is a picture of my device, this is Windows Mobile HPC version 1.0... (based off Windows 95) You can see my Nokia charger and behind it is my Windows 8.1 tablet..
CE 1.0.jpg

So, yes, I have been waiting forever for devices and tech. Windows phone is currently the 3rd highest selling phones in the US, so Pebble could sell a ton of Pebble times if they actually gave a crap. I would lean towards the CEO or high level person owning a iPhone or something and hates Microsoft.

Like everything else, it's a waiting game with Windows Phone, almost EVERY day I hear about an app or something from a company, radio station, or TV station, and hear, Check out our apps.....Not once do they say Windows Phone...or have an app, and if there is an app, It's a really crappy 3rd party made app, that is just a website in a app.

This is getting beyond old for me, problem is, I hate Google, and I hate what Apple stands for (and a iPhone is designed for a child), so I am really screwed(f'd) anyway about it...

YanivC

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
And THIS was my first Windows box!! I loved this thing... although... my timex sinclair was lots of fun too :)
This isn't the original picture as I was young and didnt have a camera back then (there were no cell phones much less camera phones then lol).
Dauphin_DTR-1.jpg

Penguwin

VR Expert
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
And THIS was my first Windows box!! I loved this thing... although... my timex sinclair was lots of fun too :)
This isn't the original picture as I was young and didnt have a camera back then (there were no cell phones much less camera phones then lol).
View attachment 106939
Bunch of old farts in here! :) just kidding... I'm right there with ya. I never had the portable HP ones, my first "portable" was a Commodore 64. Something like the pics below, if you can call something bigger and much heavier than a briefcase "portable" nowadays.

48fa0147d0dbb0666e85ca3c2c824436.jpg

14690f758c2451c43a2d95d5cfa10779.jpg

Yes, I know... It wasn't Windows. I think Windows had just come out with a 1.0 around that time. However, CLI's (command line interfaces) still ruled the days back then.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Niiiiice!!!
I still remember my first "REAL" PC's... my Timex Sinclair and my Atari 1450 :)

I had a Timex Sinclair ! And an Atari 800xl speaking of old school ! I also had a TI TI-99/4A with all the expansion slots on it at one point..

I remember loading frogger from Cassette on my old Timex, man It was slow but, in the day so cool :)

Still have one of these sitting here around and it still works, One of the coolest laptops for it's time, A Gateway Handbook 468/DX2 40. I only keep it because it's kind of cool to boot it up time to time and it's worthless. It's about the size of a VHS video tape, If you remember those.
gateway.jpg

Yes, it's WIndows 95 that it's running and it does still work 100%...

Last edited:

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm right there with you all :amaze:
I first tinkered with Computers back in the day Basic ( which I mostly forget now), in the Vic20 days, I was so jealous of a friend who had a 64, with the old 9600 baud modem.
Line 10 Goto Line 20
Line 20 If >10 goto line 30
3 hours I typed away like a nut to have a Christmas tree display on the TV with lights that changed color, and played 3 awful Christmas tunes.....drove my Father crazy.
Then I lost interest as I found sports and girls....turns out neither was as exciting as computers :devil:

Cut my teeth again on Windows 95/Windows CE , got the hacking/code bug again when Casio entered my life.
Picture_008.jpg

Ended up with a name for myself after coining a term for a Windows CE Skin/Display/layout called Windows SexCE ( Sexy)....even had a logo
WindowsSexCE.jpg

Now I just buy my Tech and enjoy the heck out of it !!!!!! I don't have the drive or love to design or tinker or hack.

Penguwin

VR Expert
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I'm right there with you all :amaze:
I first tinkered with Computers back in the day Basic ( which I mostly forget now), in the Vic20 days, I was so jealous of a friend who had a 64, with the old 9600 baud modem.
Line 10 Goto Line 20
Line 20 If >10 goto line 30

Now I just buy my Tech and enjoy the heck out of it !!!!!! I don't have the drive or love to design or tinker or hack.

Lmao... I remember getting in trouble and being sent to the principal's office (granted, this was a pretty long time ago) for writing BASIC / ASIC programs in class (on paper, mind you). When the teacher took my notebook, they decided I must be up to no good since I was scribbling down what the teacher determined was gibberish :) LOL

I still enjoy tinkering when I get the chance / time, but you bring up a great point! You don't have to be the guy/gal writing code, compiling firmware/ROMs, or in the thick of it to enjoy technology! Pick a device you like that is right for you and enjoy! :)

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Lmao... I remember getting in trouble and being sent to the principal's office (granted, this was a pretty long time ago) for writing BASIC / ASIC programs in class (on paper, mind you). When the teacher took my notebook, they decided I must be up to no good since I was scribbling down what the teacher determined was gibberish :) LOL

I still enjoy tinkering when I get the chance / time, but you bring up a great point! You don't have to be the guy/gal writing code, compiling firmware/ROMs, or in the thick of it to enjoy technology! Pick a device you like that is right for you and enjoy! :)

It's a good thing it's not today LOL ...Your school would be calling the FBI for hacking or terror ( if they did not understand code) :amaze:

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
One thing hit me as I was out for my walk.....I wonder how we ever did it so slow by todays standards.......

Loading our programs from Cassette Tape, The Monster Floppy.

Today we get upset if an app on our phone take longer then 3 seconds to load :)

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Cut my teeth again on Windows 95/Windows CE , got the hacking/code bug again when Casio entered my life.

I guess this topic went WAY off topic... Still want to know how to get a Pebble Time working with Windows Phone, I hope there is something in the works...

If your still in to the retro thing. Find a CD of Windows 95, Install it into a Virtual machine, get enough drivers to get Sound and network working, Install TCP/IP and get it on the internet. Then Try to browse the web on IE 5.5 (the last version of IE for Windows 95). It's always fun to see if you can get it to work with modern sites... Talk about speed, on a modern machine, it is UNREAL how fast it is... and if your into retro games, all those classic games can be played back :)

Taken just a little while ago from my VM.... and I still have the CD for the Plus! Pack for Windows 95 :)
win95.JPG

Speaking of WIndows Phone, so you like retro stuff huh ? You know about Windows Phone but, do you know of Microsoft Phone ?
ms phone.jpg

Microsoft Phone was an application for Windows 95 that came with Creative Modems. It was a voice mail program (OEM with a Voice Modem), very simple to use but, it could be as complex as you wanted, dropped new voice messages into your email program and you could do crazy complex menus if you wanted (press 1 for blah, press 2 for blah blah, etc).

Loved the Program, it uses TAPI in Windows, it still worked under Windows 7 32 bit with a few minor issues (wont run in 64 bit), I still have the CD sitting right here :)

I think I have a 32bit VM of Windows 10, should try it for a LOL...It is 16bit so it might not run..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett