Microsoft Moonraker...

Penguwin

VR Expert
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
No, Microsoft is not doing a James Bond remake... "Moonraker" is a code name that Microsoft has been kicking around for years. Those that have followed Microsoft news for a while have probably heard this code name before. I always thought it was a yet to be announced Nokia phone, as did many rumor posts I've read over time.

However, Mr. Evan Blass (formerly EVleaks) just tweeted this....
41b317582fe7ad962fe7607d460d9b04.jpg

Could "Moonraker" be a Microsoft smartwatch?

More pics below:
2c4b5c43612a3e11af3d4fb0e1a909e4.jpg

fc3184947f78d50fe2fd977510aecfb1.jpg

088eff3c7418f81d38b8830d7c758fb2.jpg

fd10cbd58cae89ba49c40d41848dd278.jpg

What do you all think?

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Sweet!
Hope it's at the $100.00 dollar mark.

That would be sweet. That, and a "Gold" version (yeah, Apple knock off just to rub it in) that sells for $350. Then make sure it's compatible with iPhone. ;) That would mess up Apple's ecosystem.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Looking at that, and then looking at my Band...a slight throbbing sensation in my head is starting :(

I'd love to know the rational of the person who axed this project.

Penguwin

VR Expert
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Was a smartwatch.

Nokia?s Now-Cancelled Moonraker Smartwatch Revealed

Wmpoweruser is also reporting on it: Microsoft?s Moonraker smart watch was real, but ultimately cancelled

Another article from Neowin: Microsoft killed Nokia's 'Moonraker' smartwatch - but here's what it would have looked like

It seems that Moonraker was Nokia's project, but Microsoft axed it after the acquisition.
Thanks, tgp!

Sadly, more information has come to light on this... Apparently, a dead project :( .

http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/12/8769943/microsoft-smartwatch-nokia-moonraker

What could have been, I guess...

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Yea, would of been cool, and if they used Glance on it, it could of always shown the time, something needed for the even basic Smartwatch...

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I hate to say it, but it is almost like Microsoft is afraid of success......I have waved the Windows Flag for a very very long time. However as of late with each move they make on the plus side, they do something that slaps Windows fans in the face.

They made a good move with the Band......now this news leaks out....some clown at Microsoft killed what could be an awesome follow up to The Band.

I read the News Item here and then just sampled the comments, there are many who would have, like myself ran to a Microsoft store to hand them cash for just such an item !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What do I have to do to get a Microsoft Smartwatch?????????? Sell my children?? I will, if need be, sell my soul to Tim Cook (The Devil).

I say it's time to get Microsoft off it's **** !!!! This frustration has gone on far to long!!!!! There are a few User Voice topics over on the Microsoft site that need people to vote on !!!! Pebble users who want to have a better user interface, a 3rd Party app developer willing to put in the work, but Microsoft will not open up for.

This just can not go on any more !!!!!!!! However people need to tell Microsoft, in a clear and calm voice, Get it done and get it done now !!!!!

User Voice links....... ( Please add your support if your tired of waiting)

A call to release Anything Smartwatch like...

The Link for Open Support for Pebble Time and Pebble ( By badplanet of WC correct me if I am wrong )
Open Access to API for 3rd Party Development Pebble App

Come on Smart Watch lovers !!! The Band is nice but not the only Market !!!!! If we don't get them going whats left as an option????? A Galaxy Note and a Moto 360???? I really don't want to switch, I want to stay where I'm comfortable, with Windows Phone !!!!!

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Would have definitely bought this, if it was Nokia-branded that is.

Just like the "Courier", Microsoft messed up another good product ��

I can agree, but telling WC here will never change things. Tell Microsoft!! They need to know this would have been a great follow up of the Band.

We have to add our displeasure to the User Voice links!!!!! If enough people speak up, they have to do something to at least shut us up!!

iamakii

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
It's actually Nokia Moonraker right? Nonetheless, I see myself getting this. A good looking smartwatch, altho basic but would complement my Lumia phone why wouldn't I? 😊

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
It's actually Nokia Moonraker right? Nonetheless, I see myself getting this. A good looking smartwatch, altho basic but would complement my Lumia phone why wouldn't I? ��

It was Nokia, but became part of Microsoft when Nokia's mobile division was bought out. Microsoft could give it the breath of Life again, if people let Microsoft know it was a mistake to stop it's release.

ClixT

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm probably alone with this but I'm actually ok they cancelled it.. As much as I like Nokia and MS products and their modern design language, I prefer a smartwatch that looks like a watch (IE Moto 360..) for it suites my fashion style.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
No your not alone!!!! A few concepts have been around for some time, and one that featured Cortana caught my eye!!!!!
81466d1411080219t-phpxoc4mh.jpg

Nothing wrong in having a dream !!!!!!

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm probably alone with this but I'm actually ok they cancelled it.. As much as I like Nokia and MS products and their modern design language, I prefer a smartwatch that looks like a watch (IE Moto 360..) for it suites my fashion style.

No, your not alone. The big problem is, when you think about smartwatch options for Windows Phone, it's not like you have a large selection of them.

I am wearing the original Pebble, as it runs great, the style is not the greatest (looks cheap) but, right now it's function over form.

I just wish there was choices but, it's something you get used to as a WP owner...

Mike Majeski

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Probably would have chosen this over the Band if I had a choice, but Microsoft decided to take aim at the fitness market instead. Either they were intimidated by the impending Apple Watch launch, or felt that they couldn't really innovate more on what was being offered by other smart watches at the time.

Then again, it's been said the Band was more of a "proof of concept" unit and wan't expected to sell much. Seems like whoever was making the calls in the wearables area was a little off, as people seem to want this Moonraker watch and the Band has been much more popular than a quick "proof of concept" device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett