Lumia Icon and Garmin Fenix 3

buzzard75

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
I have an Icon on Verizon, but I'm in the Insider program and am currently running 10586.420. I'm looking at getting a new smartwatch to replace my MS Band 1. I'm really interested in the Fenix 3, possibly the Sapphire, because I really like the look of it. It seems to have all the features I'm looking for and then some. Garmin's website documentation says that the Icon and Fenix 3 weren't tested together and that it's only been confirmed to work with the 830. Understandably, the stock Icon doesn't have W10M on it so it probably won't get tested. Has anyone used a Fenix 3 with an Icon that has W10M? If so, how did it work for you? Were there any issues or non-functional apps? Do notifications work (incoming call, text, email, etc.)? If this watch isn't fully compatible with the Icon, do you have any other recommendations? I'm really looking for a smartwatch that has full functionality with an Icon running W10M that isn't an MS Band. I know Vector is out there, but I'm a little leery of a company I haven't heard much of before, especially when I'm dropping a ton of money on a product. On the flip side, Garmin and Fitbit have pretty solid reputations, but their documentation is inconclusive and we know for a fact that the issue between Fitbit and W10 is currently the GATT server.

I just want something that works. I don't want to take it out of the box and have a half functional watch and be promised it will work down the road without any real guarantee.

buzzard75

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
I know, I've tried Googling the crap out of it and come up empty handed.

I hadn't heard of Lumoid before. It's a very interesting business model and something I may consider since I have my eye on a few smartwatches. Thanks for making me aware of the service.

In the meantime, does anyone else have any insight into smartwatch functionality with an Icon running a preview build? I can't imagine there should really be any issues since it is essentially a W10M phone and the software isn't any different from anything else running W10M. The only limitation I could possibly see would be some hardware specs of the phone, but it's a pretty solid phone and is on par or better than the 830.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Originally posted by buzzard75
I know, I've tried Googling the crap out of it and come up empty handed.

I hadn't heard of Lumoid before. It's a very interesting business model and something I may consider since I have my eye on a few smartwatches. Thanks for making me aware of the service.

In the meantime, does anyone else have any insight into smartwatch functionality with an Icon running a preview build? I can't imagine there should really be any issues since it is essentially a W10M phone and the software isn't any different from anything else running W10M. The only limitation I could possibly see would be some hardware specs of the phone, but it's a pretty solid phone and is on par or better than the 830.

I tried a Garmin on my 950xl running insider and had connection issues over Bluetooth. I like you saw that it had many features, and then some!

I couldn't go for the band again as I had very bad skin reactions when wearing one. A shame, as they are the daddy!

I recently sent the band 2 back and after much debate and research, I plumped for the Fitbit Blaze. It has everything apart from built in GPS, which it connects to your phones built in one. I guess notifications wouldn't concern you if looking at the Garmin as the Blaze doesn't do that (yet). The music controls do work though! The device paired straight away and we were off and running. It's scarily accurate as well.

I've done a review for the Blaze, so have a read and take it from there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos