Garmin notifications on Windows 10 AU

cndspec

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Anyone else noticing that after the app update that Garmin pushed a couple of days ago that notifications are back to being bang on and almost immediate. Im even getting calendar notifications now which I wasn't previously. So happy to see the issue apparently fixed!

zack251

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Yes. I notice this too. Now finally sync properly.

Anyone else noticing that after the app update that Garmin pushed a couple of days ago that notifications are back to being bang on and almost immediate. Im even getting calendar notifications now which I wasn't previously. So happy to see the issue apparently fixed!

IM4CHRST

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
What phone do you have? I have a 650 that constantly drops connection, shuts down the app, or had delayed notifications even after connect updates.

IM4CHRST

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I have a fenix 3 that I got when I had an iPhone 6. My notifications actually came up on my watch a split second before the phone would vibrate or ring. Now on my 650 they are 30-45 seconds after so phone calls are completely out of the question, if I even get the notification on the watch. sporadic is putting it in a nice way. I was going to get an Elite X3 next but the lack of app support from developers is moving me away. It sucks because I was excited to come back to WM after a couple years hiatus. I just don't know who is to blame, but I am pointing the finger mostly at MS because it isn't just Garmin having the issue, Fitbit is too.

George Ponder

Editor
Dec 28, 2001
Visit site
Still a mixed bag with the VivoSmart HR+ and Lumia 950. When the notification support works, it's usually 30-45 minutes after the fact and sends multiple notifications to the device. As if they app has created a backlog of notifications and dumps them all to the band at once.

I really like the Garmin. It's comfortable to wear and waterproof, but I do wish the notifications were more reliable.
I do think the Fitbit's look better but they lack the water resistance and notification support. If that ever changes, I may make the switch.

IM4CHRST

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I really like the Garmin. It's comfortable to wear and waterproof, but I do wish the notifications were more reliable.
I do think the Fitbit's look better but they lack the water resistance and notification support. If that ever changes, I may make the switch.

I have been looking at ebay for a cheap used Band 2, just because I miss my notifications. I have been missing a lot of phone calls and text messages because I always have my phone on vibrate (necessary for me). This is one of the reasons, not the only, that I am thinking of getting an android instead of the X3 for my next phone. The 650 I have only cost me $70 on Cricket and was meant as just an interim device until the X3 got released, had my lumia since early Sep, or the Surface Phone. But WM10 has been getting worse for me. The days of WP8 where the phone just worked and worked well are gone to me. That is really pushing me to getting an android.

IM4CHRST

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Eh... I'm in it for the long haul.
Hoping the first of the year W10M will pick up some speed and get where it needs to be.

I would like to be in it too, but sometimes I get so frustrated when the simplest of tasks either doesn't work, locks up, or crashes the app; 1st party apps too, like maps, search, phone, text, and edge. Even just getting out of the phone app after hanging up has proven to be a headache and in the middle of typing a text message the app crashes. I am going to keep my 650 around and maybe put it on the fast ring (on release preview now) to see how things improve and stay proficient with the OS but the stability, even before getting on the insiders build is something that keeps me leaning away from it as my primary phone. until I can rely on its stability. Plus, I spent $500 on my watch to work consistently with my phone and it used to with iOS. The only reason I came back to WM is because of the Garmin Connect app finally being available. Some of the features that I use my watch for are done just as well on older cheaper Garmin models, but those lacked the Bluetooth capabilities that the new line up has so that is why I got the Fenix 3. It seems trivial to base a phone decision on my watch but it can be the same thing basing it off of the OS if you really think about it.

I am not making this decision lightly and haven't solidified it either. I don't want to move away from it because I love the integration with my onedrive and outlook. Plus I just like the feel of WM as an OS, not the best OS, BB10 has that title, but still in a close 2nd over iOS and android.

cndspec

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Well I'm using a 640XL running the production build. Uaing a When Garmin pushed the app update a few days ago my notifications were coming in almost at the same time as the phone notification. Microsoft pushed an update out a day or so later and again we are back to a slight delay......nothing horrible perhaps 10-20 seconds after the phone notification. However, having said that I am consistently getting my notifications which I wasn't before. Seems to me like Garmin is having to play catch-up with Microsoft all the time. Things work perfectly then Microsoft changes something and it gets borked again until Garmin can once again push an app update. At least with the Garmin products we

cndspec

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Sorry my post just posted itself and I can't go back to edit it 😏. I am using the Vivosmart HR. I personally prefer the looks to the Fitbit products and wouldn't go back. At least we have notifications already while with Fitbit it has been coming soon forever.

evillama

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Can any confirm whether or not notifications work regardless of having the Garmin software up and running "in the foreground" on the Windows Phone? Got a Vivosmart HR and now a new(ish) Lumia 735, configuring them now so hoping this works...

MarkH 187

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
I just received my VivoSmart HR+ to replace my Band 2 that has a split band.
Anyway, I can sync with the app but, like some of you guys, can't get notifications.
This was my main reason in getting a smart watch\band so I am a bit disappointed.
I have checked the app settings under Device settings and changed the visable items.
Hope Garmin can get this sorted out soon. I am using it with a Lumia 950XL.

MarkH 187

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
Just had a few notifications come in. A few emails and a couple of phone calls. The phone calls only had the number and not the name. It seems to have stopped working again now.
Therefore I would say that it isn't not working but it is unreliable.

cndspec

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Mark,
Have you done the updates to your device as well as app updates? There have been several updates over the past little while. I have to say that we have two of the VivoSmart HR (not plus) in the house. Mine is working solidly with my 640XL and my husband isn't having any problems on his 950. I know that there was a further firmware update from Garmin today taking up to 3.90.

MarkH 187

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
Hi Cndspec
Thanks for the reply
I had a look at the Garmin forums earlier today. I noticed that the HR was at 3.90 while the HR+ is on 2.80 which is what I have.
Hopefully they will update the HR+ soon as it sounds like the HR has better compatibility.

George Ponder

Editor
Dec 28, 2001
Visit site
After a couple of months using the Garmin HR+, notifications are still spotty. I've switched from the 950 to the 950XL and the only times I get notifications is when I have the phone in hand. If I'm lucky, I may get one notification a week.

I like the Garmin but if the Microsoft sorts out the GATT issues, I'll probably swap over to Fitbit (assuming that Garmin does not use GATT to receive notifications). Hate it because I also picked up a Garmin scale but i really miss reliable notifications on my fitness band.

evillama

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
@cndspec - my daughter also says that notifications are spotty (although more frequent than George Ponder just stated.) She keeps her phone with her all the time (typical teenager) but suspects the alerts stop only when Bluetooth disconnects (similar to how the Band operates, although I've found the BT connection stays on pretty consistently so long as I have my phone with me all the time.)

Have you figured out how to keep the BT connection continually active between the HR and the Windows Phone?

I should note that she has multiple BT devices also - music headphones, running ear buds, car speakers, etc.

cndspec

May 29, 2013
Visit site
evillama, wondering if your daughter's issue might be the number of Bluetooth devices she has. I thought I had read somewhere that there was a maximum number of devices that you could have connected (two rings a bell). I have found for the most part that even if I have left my phone on another floor in the house the notifications still come through. Sometimes with a bit of a lag sometimes not. Having said that though the only Bluetooth connection that I have on my device is with the HR.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa