What are good options for Smart watches that work with the Win10 Mobile?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor_Who

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I've had a Band 2 for just a little over a year. At first I was very frustrated with the short battery life and so I got a replacement to help improve that. It was somewhat better. However, I learned how to work around the short battery life. Honestly, after that I really came to love my Band 2. Even bought at app to work with it on my Lumia 950 for changing the background, etc.. One of the major reasons why I love the Band 2 is because of the UV sensor to determine how much UV radiation I was being exposed to. I live in New Mexico where I work in Santa Fe, which is at least 7000 ft. elevation. The potential for skin cancer is a very real possibility here.

In December the band of my Band 2 developed a very bad crack, near the mechanism. It was clear the band would break soon. Since it was still under warranty I contacted Microsoft to get it repaired. I've heard back from them. They've told me that they do not have the parts to replace the band on my Band 2. I am very disappointed. But as you know Microsoft has decided to drop the Band line all together. I'll get some sort of refund for whatever the current going rate is on a Band 2.

So now I'm in the market for a new smart watch. Where I live I've not seen a Band 2 on sale in many months. My priority is to get a different smart watch that works with my 950, Windows 10 Mobile. It must have some sort of app for it. Best scenario, one that's actively supported by the vendor. One that is also a fitness tracker. I think the Band 2 was unique in having a UV sensor, so having that isn't as important to me. It was a really nice feature on the Band 2, but I can live without it. So, what are my options?

Rod

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
If text/email/calendar notifications are important to you stay away from any Fitbit device.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

Last edited:

buzzard75

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
Read the forums. There are discussions about numerous activity trackers. Vector is good for notifications with limited activity tracking capabilities (steps and calorie estimate). Fitbit currently only works as a fitness tracker through their app. They keep saying notifications will function when GATT servers are supported by Microsoft, but there is no word on when that is going to happen. Garmin seems to have ironed out the bugs with notifications and they are an extremely solid fitness tracker. Those are probably your top three. It really depends on what you're looking for. They all offer something slightly different.

Vector offers step counting and calorie burn with notifications in something that looks like a stylish watch.

Fitbit has a lot of band and smartwatch styles, but only does activity/fitness tracking with a promise of notifications.

Garmin has bands and more rugged style watches with activity/fitness tracking and notifications, with some watches featuring maps and navigation for more outdoor activities.

ExcaliburII

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
Currently using a Harmon vivoactive. It is decent, the gps accuracy is much better than the band but I miss the band still. The messages can be spotty but hoping that they will work better with the creators update.

Ghouston

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Sadly, the list is few and far between. Especially if you are looking to have notifications syncing. Fitbit honestly is the best choice. Hopefully their acquisition of vector will help bring more functionality to all platforms.

Andrew Fisher3

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
Garmin Vivoactive HR isn't working that well for me. I bought it because I had read that notifications would work with W10M (I have a L950XL), but no matter how many times I try to get them synced, it just doesn't seem to work. Maybe I'm missing something?

M_A_Adams

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
My wife has an android smart watch that will check her bp. Is there anything like that for Windows 10 mobile that anyone has seen?

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Garmin Vivoactive HR isn't working that well for me. I bought it because I had read that notifications would work with W10M (I have a L950XL), but no matter how many times I try to get them synced, it just doesn't seem to work. Maybe I'm missing something?
I believe you have to be in the insider preview to get notifications.

George Ponder

Editor
Dec 28, 2001
Visit site
I believe you have to be in the insider preview to get notifications.

Garmin is having issues with their Connect Mobile app and notifications. The Creators Update was supposed to fix the notifications issues smartwatches and band have experienced. The problem is that the apps have not caught up with the Creators Update.

Fitbit has their notifications feature in Public Beta, I believe Vector has worked out the kinks and Garmin is dragging their heels. I'm a fan of the Garmin Vivosmart HR+, but Garmin's support is a little depressing.

If Fitbit offered a waterproof version of the Blaze or Charge 2, it would be tough not to make the switch.

evillama

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm a fan of the Garmin Vivosmart HR+, but Garmin's support is a little depressing.

A little? Seems more like non existent. Daughter's still hanging onto her Garmin but maybe not for long, since I just exchanged my other ripped Band 2 at the MS Store tonight for a Charge 2 hearing that their Public Beta shows notification promise.

We've all been waiting so long for "Band 2-like similarity" that the first company (FitBit, Garmin, Vector) to develop it will probably win over the Windows Mobile crowd.

George Ponder

Editor
Dec 28, 2001
Visit site
A little? Seems more like non existent.

Just trying to be nice...

The only thing keeping me in Garmin's camp is the water resistance. I do a lot of lake kayaking and the Vivosmart HR+ will track my outings and if it goes into the water, no problem. If the Fitbit Charge 2 or Blaze could handle being submerged a few feet, I'd probably jump ship with Garmin.

Garmin has built-in GPS, but I have my phone with me more times than not making Fitbit's shared GPS just as good. I just need a band that can handle water.

MrockNroll

May 24, 2013
Visit site
George, I swim & Kayak a lot too so I purchased a Vivosmart HR+ that I use with my 950XL. So far its very good but no notifications.. HAs this ever worked om Win10 mobile?

George Ponder

Editor
Dec 28, 2001
Visit site
Has this ever worked om Win10 mobile?

Before the Creators Update, I would get an occasional notification on the Vivosmart HR+. More times than not it was with the app running in the foreground and the band sitting right next to the phone.

That's the one feature I really miss from the Microsoft Band. Especially notifications for incoming calls. Hopefully, someone will light a fire under Garmin and they'll get things fixed soon.

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
The band or straps on these are leather or steel - can I wear them while working out?
Please share your experiences with me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3