Garmin fenix 5X

Elvis7

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone have the Garmin fenix 5X, how do you like it. Since my band 2 got refunded, ive been holding out for a fitness watch with smartwatch function that works with Windows, hoping for a windows lot device but im tired of using my ripped fitbit surge.

Built in he and gps is a must for me, as well as waterproof.

George Ponder

Editor
Dec 28, 2001
Visit site
Agree 100% about the built-in GPS and waterproofing.

Tinkered with the Fenix 5 for a short time and it's a solid smartwatch/fitness band/running watch. On the Forerunner side, the 235 is a nice entry level watch and the 935 is on par with the Fenix 5, just has more polycarbonate around the body of the watch.

If that money tree ever blooms, I'd likely go for the Fenix 5S. Slightly smaller than the 5 with a lower profile bezel.

Side note - with the latest insider build for Windows 10 Mobile, notifications and connectivity with the Garmin Connect Mobile has improved tremendously. Still needs a little fine-tuning, but push notifications are finally getting where they should be with W10M.

ManofGod1000

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
Agree 100% about the built-in GPS and waterproofing.

Tinkered with the Fenix 5 for a short time and it's a solid smartwatch/fitness band/running watch. On the Forerunner side, the 235 is a nice entry level watch and the 935 is on par with the Fenix 5, just has more polycarbonate around the body of the watch.

If that money tree ever blooms, I'd likely go for the Fenix 5S. Slightly smaller than the 5 with a lower profile bezel.

Side note - with the latest insider build for Windows 10 Mobile, notifications and connectivity with the Garmin Connect Mobile has improved tremendously. Still needs a little fine-tuning, but push notifications are finally getting where they should be with W10M.

Thanks for the false hopes. :shocked::straight::grin: Well, since I still have my Lumia 950 and am going to hold on to it for now, I just to let people know, I went ahead and updated it to the latest fast ring insider build. I then disconnected the Garmin from my Android phone and the Garmin Vivoactive HR+ struggled to even properly connect to the 950.

Ok, it is now connected but nope, no push notifications in site. :( I did verify that the Smart Notifications are turned on and I added Outlook email but have received no notifications. Oh well, it was worth a shot, thanks anyways. (It does work on my Honor 6 Android phone though.)

George Ponder

Editor
Dec 28, 2001
Visit site
From what I've read over on the Garmin forums, many have had luck with notifications on the latest Insider Build. There were a few that said they needed to reinstall Connect Mobile to get it to work.

Still sounds like work needs to be done, but at least they aren't jumping ship.

jwckauman

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Do all the Garmin smartwatches support push notifications? Or are there just certain models. I'm coming from a Microsoft Band the past several years so there are too many choices! :)

sporosarcina

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
The recent Insider build, so I would assume fall update, have the push notifications working just fine. I have phone, text, Outlook, WhatsApp all running and the BT connection/reconnection is very good now.

Elvis7

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
well, my fiancée convinced me to buy myself a treat. So I bought the fenix 5x , and I love it. Ive been through a few over the years (tomtom runner, fitbit surge, ms band 2) and this is by far the best watch/fitness/smart capable device ever.

So much data fighting to be on the screen.
It was working fine with my lumia 950xl the first week, however, ive noticed that twice now, the connect app has forgotten my watch and I had to go through the pair/setup again.

The notifications will work fine after that but then stop.

As for wearing it daily, it feels great, however , I work a physical job and cannot risk it being damaged or smashed so I take it off during shift (12 hours) and wear my old tomtom runner for time keeping. I wish there was a way to capture those 10000++ steps I take on shift and log them in the connect app too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs