Garmin Vivoactive 3 with Windows 10 Mobile

bellyer

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
I had been thinking about pre-ordering a Vivoactive 3 and just noticed that it was available at Best Buy today (9/20) for actual purchase, at least the model with the black band and silver face. I decided to run out to my local Best Buy and pick one up.

I got home and started it up and downloaded the Garmin Connect app and I have to admit, I am impressed. Everything is working flawlessly. Setup was a breeze and it seems that we Windows 10 users have the ability to use all of the features, with the exception of Wallet. Fitness tracking works well, GPS locks on quickly, notifications are good and effective. Hopefully Wallet makes its way to us at some point, too, but for now, I have to say, after having tried out the Vector Watch last year, this experience is proving to be much better (though I miss the refined feel of the Vector). The Vivoactive 3 does have a somewhat cheap feel to it, but it is also very light and almost unnoticeable on my wrist.

Sure, I'm only a few hours into my experience, but I'm suddenly not missing my Band 2 quite so much...

MrockNroll

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I have the vivosmart hr+ and that works good for fitness tracking, sleep but I cant get notifications working. Thanks for posting this. I might have to check it out ??????.please keep us updated. Which win 10mobile phone are you using it with?

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Thanks OP for posting. I was looking at their bands and watches too. Still undecided on which to go for. The connectivity & app looks good too

... !

bellyer

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
@MrockNroll - I am noticing that notifications only seem to work for calls and text messages. I have others like email and Cortana set to notify, but I do not get notifications for them, so it isn't perfect, but I only really want call and text notifications anyway.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
How is the accuracy of the GPS and the battery duration on a charge?
I am planning to trek one of the mountains here. It usually takes about two days with actual walking time 20-24 hours..

... !

bellyer

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
Raycpl - The specs state that it gets 7 days in smartwatch mode and 13 hours in GPS mode. If you took a battery pack or other power source with you, I'm sure you could charge it up for a bit when you stop to sleep or while on a break eating a meal or something to get through the remainder of your trip.

Jason Angle

Jun 18, 2016
Visit site
Been sporting a Fitbit Surge since my third Band 2 died and was looking at these as an option compared to the Iconic they are releasing. I like the Garmin Connect interface on Mobile and Desktop. It actually leaves Windows Mobile off their specs sheet though (WM is listed on some devices).
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/571520#specs
That was the only reason I didn't make the jump to Garmin though, as I much prefer the actual watch look to the miniature tile screen. Do you have Calendar notifications that worked? Noted that you said Cortana and 3rd party were not so wanted to confirm. Thanks for the post, this will probably influence my decision more though, as Fitbit has done a decent job trying to get their UWP working well.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
I have the vivosmart hr+ and that works good for fitness tracking, sleep but I cant get notifications working. Thanks for posting this. I might have to check it out ������.please keep us updated. Which win 10mobile phone are you using it with?

I have a Vivosmart HR and the notifications never worked, either. It does sync the fitness info, though.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I have a Fitbit Blaze and all my notifications work. It was a treat to see the page open up in the app where you choose what apps you want to notify you. By default, all apps are toggled off.

BTW, I had to go on the Preview builds (15252) to get this to work. No ill effects from doing so which makes me breathe a sigh of relief.

Sent from my HP Elite x3 on mTalk

bellyer

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
Coming back to amend my original review a bit. While I do like the Garmin Vivoactive 3 quite a bit, it is glitchy when it comes to the connection. It seems to lose its proper Bluetooth connection overnight. When I wake up in the morning, my phone no longer shows it connected in the Bluetooth settings, *however* even without it showing the device connected, I am still able to control music on my phone and receive notifications, but it will not sync the steps and other health data to the app. In order for it to do that, I need to go through the process of pairing the device to my phone via the app again.

It is really odd. I am hoping that I can figure something out to make it work properly, but it definitely seems that the connectivity via Bluetooth is acting strangely.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Coming back to amend my original review a bit. While I do like the Garmin Vivoactive 3 quite a bit, it is glitchy when it comes to the connection. It seems to lose its proper Bluetooth connection overnight. When I wake up in the morning, my phone no longer shows it connected in the Bluetooth settings, *however* even without it showing the device connected, I am still able to control music on my phone and receive notifications, but it will not sync the steps and other health data to the app. In order for it to do that, I need to go through the process of pairing the device to my phone via the app again.

It is really odd. I am hoping that I can figure something out to make it work properly, but it definitely seems that the connectivity via Bluetooth is acting strangely.

If it’s any comfort, my Fitbit Blaze behaves in much the same fashion. I thought it was a Microsoft issue until it started doing the same thing on my iPhone 8. When I started to investigate I found out that Fitbit knows this is an issue and recommends not having any other Bluetooth devices paired simultaneously. As crazy as this sounds, a Windows phone would be more advantageous if you connect to your car’s hands-free system because at least Cortana can read your messages out loud. It’s not much but it’s something.

sporosarcina

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I've got the Vivoactive HR and a 950 on FR. Garmin has made big strides in their UWP, now it is completely functional on W10M. I get full fitness tracking, sleep tracking, and all the notifications I set (Outlook, texts, phone, and WhatsApp). I am quite pleased with the improvements made and since Garmin Pay is app/wearable dependent, not phone specific, it should work too.

ManofGod1000

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site

I do not think that is just a Windows mobile issue. I have the exact same issue with my Honor 6X Android 7.0 phone. Sometimes, turning it off and back on helps but other times, I have to pair it again, what a pain. (Still love the watch and will not return it. :) )

ManofGod1000

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
Well, I am now permanently off the Windows Mobile platform for good. The bluetooth of my 950 has failed, again, and now the phone is out of warranty. Microsoft made mobile phones and the Band devices were complete junk, what a joke.

Reflej0

Oct 2, 2017
Visit site
Hi, I have a question. Does VivoActive 3 link correctly with Windows 10 Mobile? I'm going to buy one and I wanted to know this information.
Thank you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb