Erasing Endpoints

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
When my live tiles stopped working and I dev unlocked, I had 22 Endpoints. A friend of mine had 30 before his tiles stopped. And a reader in another forum had 28. In one of my extreme tests, where I had 16 working live tiles for a couple hours, I ran the Endpoints up to 32 before things started to go to crap.

I think the number is somewhere around 25-28. When you uninstall some apps, they will clean up after themselves, and I uninstalled several before taking my first peek in the registry. But at a certain point ManagedEndpoints will stop getting added, because of the extra Endpoints, and that's the real issue

The key though is to try and keep the ManagedEndpoints / Endpoints balanced. Then, you should only add Endpoints after a soft reset. Once they go out of balance though some apps will add another Endpoint each time they get disconnected from the push channel, which could happen every couple/few days. As I almost never need to soft reset these days, I usually clean up after each one, but you could safely wait till Endpoints reaches about 20.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I had 30 endpoints endpoints, and about 12 managed enpoints. I erased them all, then push started working again. Cool, I'll check every few days to see if anything need to be deleted.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Only 3rd party stuff. None of the built-in apps are involved. Also does not include some "pull" live tile apps like Urban Dictionary, which only updates once per day based on a scheduled event instead of push. You could have a hundred of those, if you can figure out which is which.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I had 30 endpoints endpoints, and about 12 managed enpoints. I erased them all, then push started working again. Cool, I'll check every few days to see if anything need to be deleted.
Yep, that would work. But if you check and have 12 MEP and 15 EP, the trick is finding out which three EPs need to go. If you open each MEP and record the Cookie reference (only need the first 3-4 characters) and then cross reference the EPs, you can surgically remove the dead wood. With this method I have gone two weeks (or longer) with no MEP/EP imbalance, provided I didn't need to power off or soft reset. And that included adding/removing push apps. Some apps do (or did) have issues that create Xtra EPs, but the soft resets are the real killer. That pre-NoDo Marketplace bug did not help live tiles one bit.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon