What is needed to program apps?

Vector555

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
You could look more specifically at windows phone 7 development books to get started. Just a thought. I program very minimaly on the PC, but that's it.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
use Jesse Liberty's books on learning C#. You don't really need much else to program for Windows Phone.

Programming is programming - you can learn the basics of looping, error handling, etc in almost any language and it will apply, but if you want to write apps, just start in C#, it's as easy as any other language to learn.

Learning C# 3.0?-?O'Reilly Media (don't pay full price, lots of coupons floating around for oreilly, or buy used on Amazon or somewhere)

mweinand

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Learning XAML will also go a long way. Getting a book specific to Windows Phone or Silverlight 4 would be a big help. The easiest thing to do is download all the tools (free) and just start making some simple apps and get the hang of things.

GMJeff

Feb 15, 2007
Visit site
Apress makes a book titled Beginning Windows Phone 7 Development - ISBN 978-1-4302-3217-9.

There is a eBook that was released by Charles Petzold that was free to anyone that wanted to develop, and I believe you can still find it on the Windows Phone website, not for sure.

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
If there is a Windows Phone camp for 2days nearby.... go to it. It's extremely helpful for beginners who may know little of actual languages (and much more of scripting, ie. PHP), though that may depend on the quality of the presenters (at the Sunnyvale one, one was very capable and helpful [thankfully, he had the most sessions with us], one was hard to listen to, one was not technically versed, but extremely helpful nevertheless (suprise, he's marketing). Others were forgetable).

jim_h

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
If you're new to this I suggest starting out with C# on the PC, creating simple Windows apps, before trying to do a phone app.

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
With XAML, IMO, it's a LOT easier to start out making a WP7 app than a PC application.

Though I admittedly, I haven't made an application for the PC since VC++2003 (which didn't have win/.net forms).

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the link....will be starting my development course when my phone arrives tomorrow.

As a software engineer who has done a little silverlight dev, can't help but tinkering with a little WP s/ware dev. :)

you can try this as well:

1.(getting started and all you need) Windows Phone 7 Developer Guide
2.(Developer Forum for WP ) Forums - App Hub Forums
3.(article) Microsoft Bringing WebOS Developers To Windows Phone 7 Platform
4.(article) Windows Phone Developer Blog

SJamG

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members