Can someone please explain to me what "unlocking" does?

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so I understand that the Chevron Unlocker went live today. But I am confused about some things.

First of all, I understand that Chevron Unlocking your phone will allow you to put homebrew apps on your phone. So does that mean if you order, for example, an unlocked Titan off Amazon you will be able to install homebrew apps on it? Because I always thought and unlocked phone just meant you didn't have to be on contract with a carrier.

Secondly, how does, again for example, and unlocked HTC Titan work? How is it you don't have to be on a carrier? Do you still pay payments to any carrier?

I hope at least someone knows what I'm trying to ask.

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
no, there are two types of 'unlocks'.

one is a developer unlock, for homebrew or side app loading.

the other is a carrier unlock, to use your Focus on T-mobile, which is what I do.

You don't make any payments to a carrier if you wanted to just use it on wifi, but you won't be able to call anyone on a cell line unless you sign up for cell service. You will only pay for service, of course, not the phone (and you won't be required to sign up for Data, either).

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Ok thank you. Now for a carrier unlock do you have to sign up for a contract to use their voice/text/data plans?

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Ok thank you. Now for a carrier unlock do you have to sign up for a contract to use their voice/text/data plans?

Two ways to look at this. If you imported your Titan from say, Clove, expansys or other online seller, its totally unlocked, as in no carrier connection and will accept any SIM card. This phone can be used on T-Mo/att with a prepaid SIM card, no need to sign a contract, just pay as you go. If you bought the phone from a carrier you would probably have to sign a contract as they probably wont sell it to you without one, even if paying full price, AFAIK.

Best way to go is bite the bullet, pay the price and import your device (Titan will work on att 3G, but no 3G on T-mo, only EDGE), buy a prepay pack and insert the SIM. In the past I have used imported phones on T-Mobile with no problems and though I was already in a contract there were no changes made to my plan due to using an unlocked phone.

fifthGear

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

No, many carriers, such as T-Mobile, offer prepaid data plans. Whatever plan you choose (prepaid or contract), the plan is associated with the SIM, not the phone. In fact, you could have several phones and only one SIM that you swap out among them. Your phone number and plan stay with your SIM, not with your phone.

I was on a prepaid plan on T-Mobile for a while with my HTC HD7, and a junk feature phone (my job doesn't allow cameras OR smartphones). I swapped my SIM daily.

desmonium

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Two ways to look at this. If you imported your Titan from say, Clove, expansys or other online seller, its totally unlocked, as in no carrier connection and will accept any SIM card. This phone can be used on T-Mo/att with a prepaid SIM card, no need to sign a contract, just pay as you go. If you bought the phone from a carrier you would probably have to sign a contract as they probably wont sell it to you without one, even if paying full price, AFAIK.

Best way to go is bite the bullet, pay the price and import your device (Titan will work on att 3G, but no 3G on T-mo, only EDGE), buy a prepay pack and insert the SIM. In the past I have used imported phones on T-Mobile with no problems and though I was already in a contract there were no changes made to my plan due to using an unlocked phone.

Or, you can buy the phone with contract, and then either buy an unlock code on ebay (~$1) so that you can use local SIM card when traveling abroad, or call ATT and sometimes a nice representative will give you the unlock code for free if you are in good standing.

p.jgordon

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Or, you can buy the phone with contract, and then either buy an unlock code on ebay (~$1) so that you can use local SIM card when traveling abroad, or call ATT and sometimes a nice representative will give you the unlock code for free if you are in good standing.

are there any fees/legal issues with unlocking your contracted phone?

i travel abroad a lot also and being able to simply switch sim cards would be way better than having three separate phones with each country's name on it =/

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
are there any fees/legal issues with unlocking your contracted phone?

i travel abroad a lot also and being able to simply switch sim cards would be way better than having three separate phones with each country's name on it =/

Who's your carrier?

My wife and I go to France. I always buy unlocked GSM phones. I use AT&T here in the states (My wife is on T-Mobile). When I go to France I pop in an Orange pay as you go SIM card. It sure saves a lot of money.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
90 days...?

If you have had AT&T for a while and have a new phone, their policy was 90 days after purchase. If you happen to call and the CSR says no, just escalate it and tell them you are going overseas and will be using a local SIM card.

That's what I remember from people posting over at Treo Central.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss