Discussion on tutorial for force-updating to 8107

wganz

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
Voice to Text no longer functional over cellullar data connection

Initially put this in the comments of the article post, however this really belongs here.

I did this for both a Focus and Focus S (AT&T). Everything went fine, however has anyone noticed that speech to text no longer works unless you're connected to WiFi? Both updated phones have the issue. That is, if if you disconnect from WiFi, open the "Messenging" app, select a thread (or start anew one), and push the mic button, after you dictate the message it comes back with "Couldn't connect". I've messed around with my apn settings using the "Wireless Manager" from Samsung with no success. Other threads note there being issues with data connectivity after the update, however my cellular data connection works fine (the nearest I can tell) except for this issue. If someone could try this on their phone I'd appreciate it!

Also - After restoring to the backup it still doesn't work.

sconrad308

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
Initially put this in the comments of the article post, however this really belongs here.

I did this for both a Focus and Focus S (AT&T). Everything went fine, however has anyone noticed that speech to text no longer works unless you're connected to WiFi? Both updated phones have the issue. That is, if if you disconnect from WiFi, open the "Messenging" app, select a thread (or start anew one), and push the mic button, after you dictate the message it comes back with "Couldn't connect". I've messed around with my apn settings using the "Wireless Manager" from Samsung with no success. Other threads note there being issues with data connectivity after the update, however my cellular data connection works fine (the nearest I can tell) except for this issue. If someone could try this on their phone I'd appreciate it!

Also - After restoring to the backup it still doesn't work.

I checked on this earlier today and everything worked just fine with mine. There is another thread about this issue.
http://forums.windowscentral.com/os-discussion/188787.htm

wganz

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
Thanks so much! I swear I tested this against a phone that had not been updated and it worked. I just checked again and it is broken as well. I must have still had WiFi on when I originally tested. Therefore this issue has nothing to do with this update.

bguy_1986

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks so much! I swear I tested this against a phone that had not been updated and it worked. I just checked again and it is broken as well. I must have still had WiFi on when I originally tested. Therefore this issue has nothing to do with this update.
Mine doesn't even work on Wi-Fi.... I'm able to open programs by voice, but speech to text doesn't work. (maybe those two are all together unrelated?)

simonnyc

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I need to roll my Arrive back to 7720. I thought I successfully updated to 8107 but I'm having issues with my phone now. I can't even open up the phone dialer anymore among other things (when I go to settings > cellular, nothing happens when I press on cellular)

LWILLITS123

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
The phone dialer issue is because you didn't add the language packs. Add the ones for your phone and you will be fine. Speech to text is not an issue with this update. Something odds going on with tellme and it's affecting lots of customers.

Qweyn

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Ok so Im on an HTC Titan, I am not getting an error code but when I Run WP7 Update Cab Sender I get:'Choice' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
Everytime I press "B" or "S" I get the same message! I have installed Windows Phone Support Tool and still have the same problem...any help would be greatly appreciated:happy:

wcorp87370

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Ok so Im on an HTC Titan, I am not getting an error code but when I Run WP7 Update Cab Sender I get:'Choice' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
Everytime I press "B" or "S" I get the same message! I have installed Windows Phone Support Tool and still have the same problem...any help would be greatly appreciated:happy:
I'm having a same issue with HTC Titan. It seems that the batch file has an issue. Please help.

wcorp87370

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Here is where everyone can discuss force-updating their Windows Phone to the latest 8107 OS version as discussed on the front page: www.wpcentral.com/force-updating-your-windows-phone-os-build-8107-tutorial

Have problems? Have questions? Want to verify your setup? Ask here. :cool:
Everytime I press "B" or "S" I get the same message! I have installed Windows Phone Support Tool and still have the same problem...any help would be greatly appreciated

simonnyc

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
The phone dialer issue is because you didn't add the language packs. Add the ones for your phone and you will be fine. Speech to text is not an issue with this update. Something odds going on with tellme and it's affecting lots of customers.

I thought I added the language pack to the folder but it saved somewhere else. I tried it again with the language pack and it works! Thanks for the tip.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I updated my 710, and ended up going back to 7740 because I noticed no improvements. I am waiting (although it sucks because I'm tired of T-Mobile dragging their heels) for the official update with Nokia specific tuned firmware in there that may improve battery life (rumored to from the Nokia specific 8107 for the 800), audio (also rumored to be improved from the 800), and other things that I actually am experiencing (terrible battery life).

When I updated to 8107 I noticed no improvements in speed or performance and still experienced keyboard drop every now and then (less frequently I think), so I'd rather know my phone is stock then have "half" of an update.

brad4560

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
I updated my 710, and ended up going back to 7740 because I noticed no improvements. I am waiting (although it sucks because I'm tired of T-Mobile dragging their heels) for the official update with Nokia specific tuned firmware in there that may improve battery life (rumored to from the Nokia specific 8107 for the 800), audio (also rumored to be improved from the 800), and other things that I actually am experiencing (terrible battery life).

When I updated to 8107 I noticed no improvements in speed or performance and still experienced keyboard drop every now and then (less frequently I think), so I'd rather know my phone is stock then have "half" of an update.

interesting, i did my force update last evening, so i will need some time to see if it was worth it for me, no keyboard drops yet is the only thing i have noticed so far.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
interesting, i did my force update last evening, so i will need some time to see if it was worth it for me, no keyboard drops yet is the only thing i have noticed so far.

Yea, prior to forcing the update I heard two things had improved that I was looking for:

1. Keyboard accuracy - Along with curing the keyboard drop (which it didn't) it was initially reported that 8107 returned the accuracy of the keyboard finger detection CLOSE to what it was with NoDo (a virtual keyboard as perfect as it could get IMHO).

2. There were speed improvements, performance improvements, etc..

I noticed NEITHER of these two changes when I forced the update. I had all language packs installed and everything still worked, but nothing had improved AT ALL from what I could notice. I kept it installed for a week or two and just didn't like feeling my phone wasn't "official" although there were no changes I could see, so I restored my backup and wiped my phone clean back to 7740.16 on my Lumia 710 (T-Mobile).

It sucks because if I could only get Nokia Care Suite to install I could debrand my phone from T-Mobile and get the Nokia-specific 8107 12070 build pushed to my phone. Unfortunately it gives me an error (when installing Nokia Care Suite) that the "install was interrupted before it could start". I've tried on my Windows 7 laptop and work PC (both 64 bit).

diplomat696

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Bricked!!!

So I completed the update to 8107 yesterday on my AT&T Rev 1.3 Samsung Focus and all went smoothly, suddenly today my "phone" tile was no longer working. I figured it had to be the update as I had not changed anything else on the device so I went to restore the backup I had created yesterday when updating.

Must not be my day today because during the restore process the usb connection somehow disconnected (not physically) and I ended up with the following symptoms:

- Cannot boot my phone past the first white samsung logo coming up
- Can access download mode
- Can access Hard Reset/Format

After going through the process with either a hard reset I briefly see the Samsung Logo again on my device and then get a black screen for a minute or so. After that the windows phone logo with usb cable and pc logo showing connect the usb cable to my pc comes up and sits on the screen nothing else happens.

I have read that this may indicate that it is possible to flash my device back to the original retail rom using WP7 downloader ver 7.21 BUT I am having trouble finding/getting access to the original roms link from the xda developers site. Wondering if anyone has any other links to the original at&t retail rom for focus v1.3 or if anyone here can give me any other suggestions on fixes for the above described issue?

Thanks in advance to anyone with any suggestions!!

eserrano250

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
the problem I am having all of a sudden is that my data connection will all of a sudden stop working. I will go to a website and it will work fine and then I try going to another and it will no longer work. I am going to restore my phone and see if that fixes the problem. Will report back if I find anything.

MjrSlakr

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Lost Stock Phone Dialer

Force update on my Venue Pro worked great however it killed my phone dialer, I hit tile nothing happens. Any suggestions. Went back to 7720 dialer works fine:confused:

Mr_pither

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I had the stock dialer breaking trick on my Focus S after updateing, but not at first. It took a few days before it happened to my phone. So then I restored back to previous version backup I created using the WPConnector on my MBPro (WHY can't Zune do this?) then reapplied the update with the language files (just the two English ones) I left out the first time and now things are great. :cool:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo