I am not a developer or hacker...I'm a grandmother of 8 who helped invent the internet but am not able to decipher the ins and outs of getting my Samsung Focus S to use my ATT unlimited data SmartPhone bundle that I have had since ATT first invented it! I had a Focus that I used to tether my laptop via USB with no problems. However, I wanted to be able to create a hotspot in the hopes that I could use it with my iPad2. However, when I went to ATT to buy the Focus S, they wanted to force me to buy a "new" data plan. I may be a Granny but I'm not THAT stupid. Still, as the Focus S has Internet Sharing, I bought one on ebay, popped my SIM into it and just love it...but I can't get the data to work! Not even tethering via USB. If some one of you nice, kind hackers could give me the step-by-step, dumbed down instructions to make this thing work, I would be one happy granny!!!!!! :)
    04-02-2012 09:42 PM
    At this time the Focus S and all second generation devices can not achieve the necessary level of unlocked that is necessary to allow access to do this. You would have to get the AT&T data plan that allows Internet sharing to work. There are people working on it hopefully there will be an option available soon.
    webgranny likes this.
    04-02-2012 10:11 PM
    Dave - thank you so very much for the information! If you don't mind indulging me with another question, I would be very grateful. I still have the Samsung Focus. I had been unable to unlock or whatever was needed in order to use it for internet sharing, thus the reason I bought the Focus S. (Big mistake!) Is it still possible to use it for internet sharing if I could figure out HOW to unlock it? I am traveling next week and really need to be able to wireless tether to an iPad2. Though I am a "granny" I'm still working almost 24/7! I will be in an educational technology conference all next week where we will be learning to integrate iPads into educational instruction for nurses. I am not staying at the conference hotel and will not have free wi-fi. :-(

Thank you again for your help!:D
    04-03-2012 10:32 AM
    If you still have your focus just put the sim back in it and USB tether as before. It you are looking to creates a WIFI hotspot it gets a little more complected. Here is a link to a well written tutorial:

How to Turn your Samsung Focus and Omnia 7 Windows Phone 7 into a Wifi Hotspot > MobilityMinded.com

I have never owned a Focus so I have never done this I won't be able to help you if you get stuck. You might want to post in the comments of that article before you get started just to make sure someone will be available for help questions. Good luck
    webgranny likes this.
    04-03-2012 10:58 AM
    Thanks! I may give it a try tonight and will let you know if I'm successful.
    04-03-2012 01:58 PM
    If you still have your focus just put the sim back in it and USB tether as before. It you are looking to creates a WIFI hotspot it gets a little more complected. Here is a link to a well written tutorial:

How to Turn your Samsung Focus and Omnia 7 Windows Phone 7 into a Wifi Hotspot > MobilityMinded.com

I have never owned a Focus so I have never done this I won't be able to help you if you get stuck. You might want to post in the comments of that article before you get started just to make sure someone will be available for help questions. Good luck
    Just wanted to let you know that I was able to tether to my laptop using my NEW phone - the Focus S. I plan to by the Cradlepoint to use for wireless. Thanks so much for your help!!:D
    04-03-2012 05:53 PM
    I'm getting the S and hopefully the devs can achieve a high enough level of permissions and get this to work. Anyways super pumped for my first WP. Thanks to the WP challenge of course :D
    04-09-2012 08:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD