More tile sizes?

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I was wondering what's it look like for more tiles sizes in the future? example we have

1x1 and 2x2 and 4x2

What about 2x4 and 4x1?

I'll make some concepts later and add so I can explain a little more, I think 4x1 will work well for news apps and 2x4 will work well for some calendar apps, plus itll add variety and stay in the metro theme

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I was wondering what's it look like for more tiles sizes in the future? example we have

1x1 and 2x2 and 4x2

What about 2x4 and 4x1?

I'll make some concepts later and add so I can explain a little more, I think 4x1 will work well for news apps and 2x4 will work well for some calendar apps, plus itll add variety and stay in the metro theme

Actually really cool idea! Be a real pain for developers and Microsoft to incorporate though.

danialgoodwin

Aug 26, 2012
Visit site
Well, what about a 3x3 and 4x4 also?

I could definitely see Microsoft doing this eventually. They are about personalization, right?

But, some things that are holding them back:
  • They want consistency across their platform/apps. So, a few apps having many different sizes available and many apps not having the different sizes available doesn't look good.
  • Many changes to live tiles required
  • Home page framework rework required

ps - Another idea: In the future, maybe users could draw the shape they want the app icon to appear. Ex: a big hollow square perimeter around a 2x2 tile for whatever.

sueha

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I am not a developer, but I would guess that staying in the same aspect ratio would be easy to implement for app developers. That means 3x3 and 4x4 could be more likely than something like 4x1.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes