Succeed!!! Finally bypassed the security on Nokia Lumia Devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Great minds of XDA have had Samsung Ativ S jailbroken for a long time, wp8 and wp8.1. I have had mine unlocked for half a year without pirating any apps. But I do like my custom accents, as I can choose any accent color with RGB slider.

That said, there is also proven way to unlock the Lumia 920, but thats with using JTAG rig.

If you really have succeeded unlocking your Lumia with SW hack, post it to XDA.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Just go give the details to XDA (maybe PM GoodDayToDie), this forum is too full of the less technically minded; no one here will understand, benefit from, or be able to help your work.

Actually the biggest reason I myself and probably others are thinking this is a hoax: Why the hell would you report your findings here? Surely you must know the user base here. No actual discussion on the subject can be had here; the only possible outcome of news like that among this crowd is misguided and heated arguments. It makes me wonder if you're just inciting a flame war. If you actually have something to offer the hacking community, offer it to the hacking community [xda]!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Just go give the details to XDA (maybe PM GoodDayToDie), this forum is too full of the less technically minded; no one here will understand, benefit from, or be able to help your work.

Actually the biggest reason I myself and probably others are thinking this is a hoax: Why the hell would you report your findings here? Surely you must know the user base here. No actual discussion on the subject can be had here; the only possible outcome of news like that among this crowd is misguided and heated arguments. It makes me wonder if you're just inciting a flame war. If you actually have something to offer the hacking community, offer it to the hacking community [xda]!

Well if I had such a breakthrough, I'd post it to here and XDA or post a thread linking to XDA because most of XDA is focused on Android modding, which is likely pret-ty different from WP8. and that most of the WP userbase would congregate here, because news!

Still +1 for its release.

amolbaikar

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site

Hahahaha,
I liked your thoughts. :)
And ill post it as soon as possible at XDA Forum and here too.
Just got 1st reply from MS Support. Now will see, what will happen.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
yea you should let Microsoft know about this. Windows Phone is currently the most secure OS, unhackable before. Let's keep it that way.

j-bone6_7

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Yea... pictures or it didn't happen. I can make up numbers and letters too!

K;Jioe98EFI0uuef==8HFEHW8==EJOEIJOIWOE89HJ

Sorry, but no encryption key would contain a web address. Just saying...

travis_valkyrie

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
This isn't really new. Accessing os system files can be done if the phone is put into Qualcomm download mode with the right drivers, and mounting those partitions with the emmc downloader. This has already been done on Samsungs and Huaweis, and yes, I'm afraid piracy has already started since the ATIV S exploit. The apps and games designed to run on 1GB are being cracked to run on 512MB devices by installing it on Samsung devices with 1GB, and repackaging them to remove any hardware limitations and encryptions, thus piracy. Those 1GB RAM apps that you see on YouTube running on 512MB phones are straight-up pirates (most pirated is GTA:SA, just browse youtube) unless the devs themselves reports an update for 512MB support.

So keep your eyes out everyone. Piracy is not what we want in this ecosystem. We don't wanna end up like Android or have our own Cydia.
Report pirated xaps. Support the developers.

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
You sure you understand what you're talking about? Poster a few posts above says that no one here understands the technically advanced stuff, lol.

Good explanation of whats going on and I agree, we do not want to end up like Android and it definitely doesn't benefit the developers that have worked their *** off just for a few that believe the entire world should be free.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Well if I had such a breakthrough, I'd post it to here and XDA or post a thread linking to XDA because most of XDA is focused on Android modding, which is likely pret-ty different from WP8. and that most of the WP userbase would congregate here, because news!

Still +1 for its release.

There is more WP hacking over there than here though. WP7 still has active HaRET development- the project that allows you to dual boot WP7 and Android. <- If everyone would shut up about the negligible number of penniless 7 year olds pirating apps they could never pay for in the first place, you might realize the incredible potential an unlock would bring to the platform. When WP7 was first unlocked you know what the community did? Made a battery app that updated a live tile in real time. Another app allowed the playing of a slideshow on the lock screen. There was work on emulating WM6 so the entirety of WM6 apps could be used on WP7. Vanilla WP7.8 can do none of these things, (hell WP8.1 can't update a battery tile in real time today).

You know what I didn't see? Any app stores that promoted piracy. There was a home brew appstore for developers to list their apps that required unlocks, and piracy just wasn't even thought of.

XDA is NOT a den of hackers trying to steal software; they have a policy against piracy and you cannot post tools that aid piracy there. XDA IS a community of enthusiasts that want to make phones better by empowering the user.

Piracy is an illusionary threat anyway, for those of you who bother to do any research on the actual effects of piracy.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
^while the effects of piracy may not be as colossal financially, it puts the WP community and OS in a very negative spotlight. how many stuck with iOS because Android has 99% of the malwares? lots of people. do we want to convince these to give WP a chance or do we want to shoo them away with "oh yea hackers are on our platform as well?" add to that the developer scare that will bring, and we already don't have enough apps.

who cares about lock screen slide show, home brew apps, and other battery consuming niche stuffs that the 0.1% of our 3.5% global marketshare uses. creating a piracy-free, hack-proof, fully enterprise secure and safe environment where people don't have to put up with malwares on phone is far more relevant.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
There is more WP hacking over there than here though. WP7 still has active HaRET development- the project that allows you to dual boot WP7 and Android. <- If everyone would shut up about the negligible number of penniless 7 year olds pirating apps they could never pay for in the first place, you might realize the incredible potential an unlock would bring to the platform. When WP7 was first unlocked you know what the community did? Made a battery app that updated a live tile in real time. Another app allowed the playing of a slideshow on the lock screen. There was work on emulating WM6 so the entirety of WM6 apps could be used on WP7. Vanilla WP7.8 can do none of these things, (hell WP8.1 can't update a battery tile in real time today).

You know what I didn't see? Any app stores that promoted piracy. There was a home brew appstore for developers to list their apps that required unlocks, and piracy just wasn't even thought of.

XDA is NOT a den of hackers trying to steal software; they have a policy against piracy and you cannot post tools that aid piracy there. XDA IS a community of enthusiasts that want to make phones better by empowering the user.

Piracy is an illusionary threat anyway, for those of you who bother to do any research on the actual effects of piracy.

Yup....my hats off to those developers on xda that work for nothing and put up with more bs than you can believe.

Hackers...nope not really..since they aren't trying to hurt folks but make phones better.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
This isn't really new. Accessing os system files can be done if the phone is put into Qualcomm download mode with the right drivers, and mounting those partitions with the emmc downloader. This has already been done on Samsungs and Huaweis, and yes, I'm afraid piracy has already started since the ATIV S exploit. The apps and games designed to run on 1GB are being cracked to run on 512MB devices by installing it on Samsung devices with 1GB, and repackaging them to remove any hardware limitations and encryptions, thus piracy. Those 1GB RAM apps that you see on YouTube running on 512MB phones are straight-up pirates (most pirated is GTA:SA, just browse youtube) unless the devs themselves reports an update for 512MB support.

So keep your eyes out everyone. Piracy is not what we want in this ecosystem. We don't wanna end up like Android or have our own Cydia.
Report pirated xaps. Support the developers.

Hmmmm, wasnt installing 1gb apps to 512mb devices done by installing apps by using the proxy trick? If so, that has nothing to do with unlocking.

Why people always use Android as an example of unlocking and how WP will be like Android? Android is a piece of crap swiss cheese of OS's, probably because Google itself is the biggest data hacker in the world. Better reference is iOS which of course also has been unlocked.

Like I said, I have had my device unlocked for ages and never tried to instal pirated xap. The opposite, I hate adds and buy them off always, even if Im using an app for a day and not even sure is it a keeper.

Pirating an xap has downsides, for example no updates, no auto-instal after reset and for what, saving $3?

Whatever, but please use iOS as an reference with WP unlocking. WP will end up like iOS........

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
^while the effects of piracy may not be as colossal financially, it puts the WP community and OS in a very negative spotlight. how many stuck with iOS because Android has 99% of the malwares? lots of people. do we want to convince these to give WP a chance or do we want to shoo them away with "oh yea hackers are on our platform as well?" add to that the developer scare that will bring, and we already don't have enough apps.

who cares about lock screen slide show, home brew apps, and other battery consuming niche stuffs that the 0.1% of our 3.5% global marketshare uses. creating a piracy-free, hack-proof, fully enterprise secure and safe environment where people don't have to put up with malwares on phone is far more relevant.

A) "hacking" is not a bad thing; it's an activity and not necessarily for nefarious purposes. Hacking on our platform! Great! More features for the user, more tools for the developers.
B) android is completely open, almost without any security, and has lax app submission policies. WP having an opt in unlock won't even... Put half a seconds thought into your replies man.
C) I'll elaborate on piracy. It can be summarized in a few sentences: "this app is not available in your location", starving students, and kids with no money of their own. The other reason to pirate these days is to avoid heavy DRM (mostly a problem in PC gaming); consumers will flock to the simplest and easiest product; see blockbuster blaming piracy for its failures while the new Netflix was making bank. Games with obstructive DRM will be pirated, because the pirates offer the easier, simpler product: No DRM. Steam is largely successful due to its extreme simplicity and low profile Drm scheme. Phones already have the most simplistic setup with the app store and you have to go out of your way to find pirated copies, which actually isn't as straightforward a process as you might think.

Losses "not colossal" is a huge understatement. Try negligible, or accounting for free publicity, could actually result in net profit in certain circumstances.

I don't know which @** you pulled this malware stuff from but... If OP's intention was to get the less technically minded users of this forum to make fools of themselves while users like me become bigger fools by trying to explain, mission accomplished. I'm out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3