Succeed!!! Finally bypassed the security on Nokia Lumia Devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

travis_valkyrie

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hmmmm, wasnt installing 1gb apps to 512mb devices done by installing apps by using the proxy trick? If so, that has nothing to do with unlocking.

The proxy trick only allows you to install the original xap from store. Hardware and software limitations will still apply, that's why some apps don't even run. And no, it has nothing to do with unlocking.

Why people always use Android as an example of unlocking and how WP will be like Android? Android is a piece of crap swiss cheese of OS's, probably because Google itself is the biggest data hacker in the world. Better reference is iOS which of course also has been unlocked.

I was just saying in terms of app piracy how WP could get as much piracy as android has, if exploitation of full-unlocking the platform continues, we could potentially lose devs since WP market share is still relatively small, it wouldn't even probably make any difference if they stopped supporting WP

Like I said, I have had my device unlocked for ages and never tried to instal pirated xap. The opposite, I hate adds and buy them off always, even if Im using an app for a day and not even sure is it a keeper.

Pirating an xap has downsides, for example no updates, no auto-instal after reset and for what, saving $3?

Whatever, but please use iOS as an reference with WP unlocking. WP will end up like iOS........

froi francisco

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
Just go give the details to XDA (maybe PM GoodDayToDie), this forum is too full of the less technically minded; no one here will understand, benefit from, or be able to help your work.

Actually the biggest reason I myself and probably others are thinking this is a hoax: Why the hell would you report your findings here? Surely you must know the user base here. No actual discussion on the subject can be had here; the only possible outcome of news like that among this crowd is misguided and heated arguments. It makes me wonder if you're just inciting a flame war. If you actually have something to offer the hacking community, offer it to the hacking community [xda]!
Totally agree here.. These kind of findings doesn't get reported 1st to average consumers.. 😊

desitunez

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Release it here man , we will get new Microsoft OS update quicker than expected.. or if you can please wait till WP 8.1 is out haha

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Installing 1gb games to a 512mb device, like shown on the links above, can be done using fiddler. Fact.

Unlocking WP does not mean it comes Android over night. Its ridicilous to even imply something like that. Someone hacked and unlocked Lumia and we have Viruses in our devices the next day... Uhhh ok.

Actually Lumia unlocking has been achieved to more devices than 920, I remembered wrong. I think the first device (not counting the Chinese that posted videos and not the instructions), was L520. Proof and instructions of this can be found at the XDA, but like I said you need a JTAG to achieve this.

I personally dont believe that OP has achieved this either without proof, but post your findings to XDA and let the guys there have a look. Just my opinion what to do with it if its true.

ShreyansShah

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
so...
where are we finally, at the end of the day?
i really don't want to see any pirated apps here and no data miners in WP. even at the cost of lesser apps and non availability of many apps, also.
let it be pure.
u (the decoder, who has found the access), just go to MSFT, get rewarded and be honored by them. may be they will take u in their team. that will benefit more at large.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
The thing just is that. It will be pure unless you would unlock your own device and install a pirated XAP, if XAP like that being even available.

What benefits were from unlocking the Ativ S. We had more tiles and unlimited accents for maybe 6 months before DP and more little hacks like that. iOS has been unlocked and the world for them has not ended. Android is a thing of its own and a huge problem there are the viruses from the official store.

This probably is useless conversation as there is no proof of this even happening.

travis_valkyrie

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Installing 1gb games to a 512mb device, like shown on the links above, can be done using fiddler. Fact.

Unlocking WP does not mean it comes Android over night. Its ridicilous to even imply something like that. Someone hacked and unlocked Lumia and we have Viruses in our devices the next day... Uhhh ok.

Fiddler is ok, it's just a 'trick'. It will still allow you to purchase apps, but those apps won't be guaranteed to run perfect. And it is not about comparing Android to WP, wth are you on about? The thing is the exploit is being used to pirate xaps from unlocked WP, which means apps that's meant to be bought are becoming free, it's not about viruses or anything, it's the tiny app ecosystem developers are only starting to support. And people who install the apps that has a 1GB RAM requirement (either free or paid) will be frustrated on how the app runs on their 512MB phone and complain and post negative reviews which makes us developers go wtf.

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
As someone mentioned above, it's very suspicious that OP is, apparently, the FIRST person who hacked (not sure it's the correct term) a Lumia phone, which should be a BIG thing, and, at the same time, OP is asking where he could 'submit' his job. It can be any (literally ANY) hackers, developers forum instead of one focused on consumer discuss.

IMO the main reason to 'hack' an unhackable/unbreakable OS is the desire to be first in this competition. If I would be such a guy, a would definitely not post it here.

bobbob1016

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
On the other hand, you can get your concept to the "Crackers" and Hackers so we can enjoy free apps in store :D Just Kidding XD

Just an FYI as you seem to have mentioned it. Hacker = White Hat/'good guy' while Cracker = Black Hat/'bad guy' but this is only in the traditional sense of the words. Most people use Hacker to mean bad guy.

fdruid

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
The thing just is that. It will be pure unless you would unlock your own device and install a pirated XAP, if XAP like that being even available.

What benefits were from unlocking the Ativ S. We had more tiles and unlimited accents for maybe 6 months before DP and more little hacks like that. iOS has been unlocked and the world for them has not ended. Android is a thing of its own and a huge problem there are the viruses from the official store.

This probably is useless conversation as there is no proof of this even happening.

There was an interesting report here in WPCentral that argued that as it is the platform has more potential of generating revenue through apps, as opposed to Android and IOS. In this aspect, I think this thing about unlocking the platform would hurt it more than benefit.
IMHO killing a platform you like for unlocking it to install free apps (which are quite cheap anyway) and to customize the phone would be a shame. But that's just my opinion.

mrappbrain

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Forgive me for being skeptical, but I do not believe something like this can just pop out, straight out of the blue.

A quote from XDA dev Heathcliff74:

"By default all applications are launched in a sandbox. The sandbox can be decorated with capabilities. Other than that, it is normally not possible to step outside the sandbox to view or change data on the phone or use system functions from the phone. Everytime a secured object (like file or registry-value) is accessed, all security-token-attributes like Access Control List, Lowbox-state, Restriction-state, Privileges and capabilities are checked. Furthermore, everytime code is loaded, it's integrity is checked. Simple hacks are often not possible, because everything is checked and double-checked and many OS features depend on it. For example, if you completely disable the sandboxing mechanism, many apps won't launch anymore because the sandbox also defines the identity of the application. Without that identity, it's not possible to load COM-objects and Windows Runtime Components or have cross-process-communication. This results in many crashing or hanging applications. So, to get unlimited access to secured objects and APIs, you need to gently circumvent the systems that check the integrity of the code, the Access Control Lists, the privileges and the capabilities. You also need to be able to impersonate other, non-lowboxed accounts."

That's a ton of work, takes a ton of dedication, and is not at all easy. Not saying you're not all that, but...... I am especially suspicious of your claim to bypass the Code Integrity check.

Third, not every Lumia device is the same. You claiming to have gained root access to all Lumia devices at the same time does come off as suspicious. An Interop unlock is hard enough (and impossible at the moment), and total unlock is nigh impossible to achieve.

I do not mean to discourage you or anything, just sayin.

Oh, and if you really have got root access? Share it on XDA and report it to Microsoft. Do both. The hackers and the enthusiasts get what they want, and pirates (who are generally not that geeky) fail to understand how to hack the device. Win win.

EDIT: Here's the important part: PIRACY IS NOT AN ISSUE! The dev unlock and deploy method can be used to load cracked xaps, and the 10/2 xap limit can be circumvented. You just cannot stop piracy completely. This is the truth. There will always be piracy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism