How DOES one load an OS onto a phone?

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I want to know the specifics...

Today I saw a XOLO phone being launched with Windows Phone. Want to know how does one load an OS onto a phone? Especially a Windows Phone OS.

I am not asking about the legal bit, I am asking about the technical procedure..

I have a Lenovo K900 (along with my Lumia 820) so wanted to know if there is any way I can boot one up...

I know the question is slightly n00by...but just curious..

Sent from iCeborg's iPad.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site

Today I saw a XOLO phone being launched with Windows Phone. Want to know how does one load an OS onto a phone? Especially a Windows Phone OS.

I am not asking about the legal bit, I am asking about the technical procedure..

I have a Lenovo K900 (along with my Lumia 820) so wanted to know if there is any way I can boot one up...

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha ^^^^^

Whatchu talkin' bout ?

You crazy Brits ...

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha ^^^^^

Whatchu talkin' bout ?

Lol...I know it's funny..,there is an indian Hnadsest maker called XOLO..they have a phone..Windows Phone..I want to know how does one load an OS on a device...how complicated is it?

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
If you're asking here, you must by now realize it's damn near impossible to flash an Android phone w Windows Phone OS !

and if you don't, you know NOW.

ID ten T

Go for it, let us know how you make out.
Check out XDA Devlopers, they may be some help, those guys appreciate a good laugh !

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
If you're asking here, you must by now realize it's damn near impossible to flash an Android phone w Windows Phone OS !

and if you don't, you know NOW.

ID ten T

Go for it, let us know how you make out.
Check out XDA Devlopers, they may be some help, those guys appreciate a good laugh !

U know right some OEMs are coming up with a dual boot? I just need to know the procedure..ok forget Windows...how does an OEM load any OS on the blank device?

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
U know right some OEMs are coming up with a dual boot? I just need to know the procedure..ok forget Windows...how does an OEM load any OS on the blank device?

No OEM is doing dual boot if they ever want to even smell the windows phone OS or Google play services

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
There is no technical difference between what an OEM does, and what you can do with Nokia's recovery tool:

Nokia is just able to do it for hundreds of devices at once.

Ok...but in that case, wouldn't developers (people who are far smarter than me and not working for any OEM) be able to load WP OS on any given phone?

I'm just curious about the process of loading an OS onto a physical phone...pretty intrigued with XOLO's phone actually...

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Ok...but in that case, wouldn't developers (people who are far smarter than me and not working for any OEM) be able to load WP OS on any given phone?

No. WP is distributed as a compiled software product, that is compatible only with three or four very specific SoCs (a SoC is a chip that combines the CPU, GPU and DSP). WP can't run on any ol' hardware. Nobody can get WP to run on the SoC used in the iPhone for example, because WP wasn't designed to run on it. That hardware wouldn't correctly interact with WP the way it expects, nor could WP communicate with the hardware as the hardware expects.

EDIT: Microsoft and Qualcomm have partnered to bring out a reference design for WP. Almost all of the OEMs introducing new WP devices to market are based on this reference design.

I'm still not really sure what you are asking. If you are asking how OEMs copy the OS + firmware onto each device, well, that would basically be a larger version of something like this:

https://www.eetools.com/index.cfm/product/726_18 (plug in the flash ROMs, flip a switch, and off it goes, no resetting, no startup/shutdown...)

If that is not what you are asking, maybe it might make sense to read up on what a bootloader is and see if that clears up anything.

Last edited:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
They flash the OS to the phone via USB similar to the way you can install an OS to your PC ith a CD/DVD

That is not how OEMs do it. If you are going to flash via USB you already must have some hardware drivers on the device, which do not exist before loading up the device with software for the fist time.

See my post above.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
No. WP is distributed as a compiled software product, that is compatible only with three or four very specific SoCs (a SoC is a chip that combines the CPU, GPU and DSP). WP can't run on any ol' hardware. Nobody can get WP to run on the SoC used in the iPhone for example, because WP wasn't designed to run on it. That hardware wouldn't correctly interact with WP the way it expects, nor could WP communicate with the hardware as the hardware expects.

EDIT: Microsoft and Qualcomm have partnered to bring out a reference design for WP. Almost all of the OEMs introducing new WP devices to market are based on this reference design.

I'm still not really sure what you are asking. If you are asking how OEMs copy the OS + firmware onto each device, well, that would basically be a larger version of something like this:

https://www.eetools.com/index.cfm/product/726_18 (plug in the flash ROMs, flip a switch, and off it goes, no resetting, no startup/shutdown...)

If that is not what you are asking, maybe it might make sense to read up on what a bootloader is and see if that clears up anything.
A5cent... You have nearly nailed it. That was what I was asking. But I didn't quite get what the link was about?

In even more layman terms, I am picturing new OEMs, in our case XOLO, producing a device (just the physical handset) and loading the WP OS on to it. THIS is what I wanted to know the procedure for.. And I think you have answered it to my satisfaction..
Thanks again.

Coded from my Clover Trail+ Machine.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
A5cent... You have nearly nailed it. That was what I was asking. But I didn't quite get what the link was about?

In even more layman terms, I am picturing new OEMs, in our case XOLO, producing a device (just the physical handset) and loading the WP OS on to it. THIS is what I wanted to know the procedure for.. And I think you have answered it to my satisfaction..
Thanks again.

Honestly, I'm not convinced you should be satisfied yet :wink:

That machine I linked to copies the bits on one flash ROM to a set of other flash ROMs. It's kind of like making an image of a HDD and then copying that image to a hundred other HDDs.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, I'm not convinced you should be satisfied yet :wink:

That machine I linked to copies the bits on one flash ROM to a set of other flash ROMs. It's kind of like making an image of a HDD and then copying that image to a hundred other HDDs.

Oh like that....got it...sorry couldn't understand a word on that website.. So they just mass produce OSs and push it to phones? Hmmm...interesting ...

I wish I could push Windows Phone in my K900...god that would be like the best device ever! And clearly OEMs have some more tools than the public to do the needful right?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I wish I could push Windows Phone in my K900...god that would be like the best device ever! And clearly OEMs have some more tools than the public to do the needful right?

Yep. OEM's have hundreds of millions invested in production machinery and development tools. It's very complicated stuff. The good thing is, that it is all devoted to providing the end user with the illusion of simplicity.

The K900 uses a low-power Intel x86 chip, whereas WP mandates the use of a subset of Qualcomm's chips, which are all ARM based. That alone is already a reason that will never work. But I agree. I'd love to see a K900 WP.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Yep. OEM's have hundreds of millions invested in production machinery and development tools. It's very complicated stuff. The good thing is, that it is all devoted to providing the end user with the illusion of simplicity.

The K900 uses a low-power Intel x86 chip, whereas WP mandates the use of a subset of Qualcomm's chips, which are all ARM based. That alone is already a reason that will never work. But I agree. I'd love to see a K900 WP.
Lenovo is one of the partner in the new set of OEMs that have joined the wagon.. Let's hope they come up with killer stuff! Can't wait.. If there is one thing that can take me away from Nokia, that's Lenovo.

Coded from my Clover Trail+ Machine.

myst02

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site

Manufacturer flash phone OS OEM: https://dev.windowsphone.com/en-us/OEM/develop#option3

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos