Windows phone image designer vs Nokia care suite

corby lambert

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone here used microsofts Windows phone image designer software to flash a rom onto a Lumia? I've only ever used books care suite and the Windows phone recovery tool. I am buying a used L1520 to replace by L1520 with a bad screen and am hoping all it needs is to flash a rom. I've always used navifirm+ and Nokia care but I was browsing earlier and saw a thread on XDA using this phone image designer. Apparently it's what the OEM's use. I am considering trying it just because the bills caste suite I have is several years old..... But I used it last year and it still worked fine. Thanks for any feedback!

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Or you could use the Lumia recovery tool or windows recovery tool. The easiest would be offline mode, if you have the rom files already (just place them in (program data/microsoft/packages/{your phones RM number - like this RM-822}

The image designer is for deploying custom and modified ROMs. As of which most attempts haven't been that successful. Then again I've been following the custom rom scene sporadically and not daily as I was previously years ago(grown out of flashing ROMs).

Khaagan

Jul 9, 2015
Visit site
Hi corby lambert,

I answer you here at your thread and at your message on another thread.

I have changed my nickname here and on different forums where I am active, but yes, it's me that has wrote the tutorial for NCS, then, on the same thread, for WPID on XDA-Developers.

-To provide a more complete response:

Yes, there are != between WPID and WPRT, NCS, LSRT, etc.
WPID only flash ROM (file FFU), while NCS, WPRT, LSRT, etc, flash not only the ROM, but also the individual files of the ROM (flash from the VPL file).

However, be aware that WPID flash from the FFU DL mode. Therefore, it is compatible and flash directly any device using the ROM as FFU file. So no need to wait.

WPRT, LSRT, NCS, etc, flash in OEM, that is to say in UEFI mode. Therefore, an update of this softwares is required for support a new device. So need to wait.

Moreover, WPID is relatively safe to use, because he only flash the ROM. Concretely, even when USB was unplugged when flash, it can always re-flash after this (it will not be bricked). Do this with WPRT, LSRT, NCS, etc, you get an pretty brick.

Last edited:

corby lambert

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Hey yall, thought i'd give an update on my phone status...The 1520 I bought off eBay was bricked. It kept giving me a EUFI error 1 black screen, followed by another black screen that said to press any button to turn off... or something like that. I tried all of the different software and every button combination I could think of. It would do nothing. I ended up replacing the engine board out of my busted 1520 with the one in the 1520 off eBay. It started right where I left off!!! Although I feel like I got closest using NCS to flashing a rom before I just replaced the board. It would reboot the phone but got stuck on a red NOKIA loading screen with an error in NCS saying the partition failed to do something. Thanks for the input though!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3