The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
03-18-2008 07:36 PM
215 ... 56789
tools
    day 3....phone off charger, 15mb of memory free....running programs list:
    -calendar, text messages, help, contacts, internet explorer.

opened up internet explorer (EVDO) and it will not access CNN.com or TreoCentral.com.....tried it using the wi-fi setting as well. both attempts unsuccessful with "connecting" and the little blue circle in rotation.

on top of that, the little 5way pad is difficult to use without hitting the buttons next to it.

going to reset the device for a third time since owning it. maybe that will be the fix.
    08-05-2007 09:37 AM
    I can cause a huge battery life difference in my own personal usage. For example if turn off the push email, keep my screen lower than 100% bright, turn off BT, don't have apps always updating themselves creating data calls, talk about 30 minutes a day.....I can go at least nearly 2 days without much challenge.

But when I do all those things listed above plus send a ton of emails, SMS, along with BT stereo MP3 listening, talk an extra 2 hours, a little Wifi, etc...I could be down to only 5 hours or so.

The battery life may not be break any world records, but it is within expectations for what I do with it. Since I use immediate push email all day with BT on nearly the whole time, it will make it through the whole day without an problem (maybe a little topping off during the car drive to lunch and back doesn't hurt with that either). The thing I have noticed is that the stock battery seems to charge slower than most of my other PDA phones.

i hear ya, Hobbes, and i want to really like this device but so far not so good. remember, my Mogul was polling email on an hourly basis and i purposely left bluetooth on, but that was the extent of the usage. no phone calls, no web browsing, no real email usage outside of the polling, no music, nothing. and the battery only lasted from morning til evening. maybe the battery needs to be conditioned?
    08-05-2007 09:41 AM
    Battery conditioning? Don't think Li-Ion batteries need that these days.
    08-05-2007 10:37 AM
    But even Seidio says that their batteries work best after 5-6 charges - and in my own experience, the battery seems to work better after about a week of use.

Hobbes - read on pdaphonehome someone has the Seidio OEM battery replacement already and they are experiencing better than a 10% increase. They are quite happy with the results so far.
    08-05-2007 10:44 AM
    Siedio makes poor (but workable) batteries....I would not put much stock in what they say.

They just want you to cycle it a few times in order to make sure you don't have a dud.
    08-05-2007 11:00 AM
    Battery conditioning? Don't think Li-Ion batteries need that these days.
    it's in the user guide/booklet that comes with the device. it suggests that the battery life will improve after 4-5 deep uses/charge cycles.

MikeC, you're really becoming tiresome, and i'm sure many others think so. Do you even own a Mogul?:eek:
    08-05-2007 11:24 AM
    it's in the user guide/booklet that comes with the device. it suggests that the battery life will improve after 4-5 deep uses/charge cycles.

MikeC, you're really becoming tiresome, and i'm sure many others think so. Do you even own a Mogul?:eek:
    Used it for a day, play around with it every couple days.

If you are tired, then take a break and call a truce.
    08-05-2007 12:42 PM
    On another note, I was on a call a few minutes ago. All of a freaking sudden, my Mogul turns off. I turn it back on and its quite obviously that the damned thing hard reset on its own.

Sprint customization is taking place as I type! WTF?

Now that this has happened, I'm wondering if I should have gotten the 755. Phones dont hard reset for nothing.
    Last edited by scandalex; 08-05-2007 at 03:26 PM.
    08-05-2007 02:28 PM
    Yeah, that's crap advice. Advice like that is left over from the nickel-based battery era. Check out Battery University for some 21st Century discussion about batteries.
    A lithium-ion battery provides 300-500 discharge/charge cycles. The battery prefers a partial rather than a full discharge. Frequent full discharges should be avoided when possible. Instead, charge the battery more often or use a larger battery. There is no concern of memory when applying unscheduled charges.
    However, it does mention it's a good idea to fully discharge/recharge occasionally (no more than every 30 cycles) in case the device being powered loses calibration with the battery.
    08-05-2007 04:43 PM
    On another note, I was on a call a few minutes ago. All of a freaking sudden, my Mogul turns off. I turn it back on and its quite obviously that the damned thing hard reset on its own.

Now that this has happened, I'm wondering if I should have gotten the 755. Phones dont hard reset for nothing.
    Sounds like a bad phone. First I've heard of something like this.
    08-05-2007 04:44 PM
    Hey Schwartz, was (www.freewareppc) the deciding factor for you taking the plunge?
    No the primary reason was because our corporate IM application (Sametime) only runs on WM, Symbian, or Blackberry. I have a Pearl, but I don't want to pay the extortionate fees for a BES plan. I've had a Nokia 6620 and I'm not a big fan or Symbian, so I decided to give WM a try. I asked the Sametime dev team about PalmOS and they said they have no plans to support it because they don't see any future in it and they're waiting to see what happens with ALP or Palm's own Linux before committing development resources to it.
    08-05-2007 06:21 PM
    good news: turned off bluetooth today and the battery device is close to 80% (without any use outside of hourly email polling) after 10 hours off of the charger.
    08-05-2007 07:00 PM
    oalvarez,

that's weird about the BT. when paired, but not active, BT in WM should use virtually no power (ppc mag did a write up on it). I don't suppose you have "discovery" mode still on? that will drain the battery.

also, on a lot of WM devices, under Connections --> Beam, the default is On, make sure it is Off. that also uses a lot of power.

I've had BT on all day, hourly email, bi-hourly weather and about 1 hour RSS/internet time with 10 mins of phone use and I'm at 73% after 8 hours, but that's on a 700 obviously ...but just for analogy of consumption.
    08-05-2007 07:19 PM
    I went back to the Sprint store to look at the Mogul again.

I must say if you dont have big hands, this Mogul is going to be hard for you to handle.

I got big hands. I can palm a basketball and can stretch to 8 piano keys and I find that the Mogul is very uncomfortable to handle when typing on the keypads.
    08-05-2007 08:09 PM
    oalvarez,

that's weird about the BT. when paired, but not active, BT in WM should use virtually no power (ppc mag did a write up on it). I don't suppose you have "discovery" mode still on? that will drain the battery.

also, on a lot of WM devices, under Connections --> Beam, the default is On, make sure it is Off. that also uses a lot of power.

I've had BT on all day, hourly email, bi-hourly weather and about 1 hour RSS/internet time with 10 mins of phone use and I'm at 73% after 8 hours, but that's on a 700 obviously ...but just for analogy of consumption.
    Don't forget about BT versions. If using a BT 1.1 or 1.2 headset, the battery life will be worse. Use a BT 2.0 headset for the best battery life.
    08-05-2007 09:42 PM

I frequent all the 6800 forums everyday and this is the first I have seen anyone post this. I think it is either a bad phone or some wierd conflict with a 3rd party software app.
    08-06-2007 11:37 AM
    I went back to the Sprint store to look at the Mogul again.

I must say if you dont have big hands, this Mogul is going to be hard for you to handle.

I got big hands. I can palm a basketball and can stretch to 8 piano keys and I find that the Mogul is very uncomfortable to handle when typing on the keypads.
    Actually this Mogul is 30% smaller than the 6700 and by most reports I have seen who own a Treo and Mogul say the Mogul is the same size or even a little smaller. Maybe because you have big hands that it is harder to use. I personally have very small hands (thanks I am sure to my mom) and find it very comfortable.

...........but with that said, this is a total personal perspective issue. Even if everyone had the same size hands, every other personal will like the feel of it in their hands or while the other half will hate it.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 08-08-2007 at 12:54 PM.
    08-06-2007 11:41 AM
    oalvarez,

Thanks Mal, that was the culprit. I had inadvertently left the pairing ("visible to others") on after having paired it with the Pearl.

Huge difference indeed.
    08-06-2007 05:40 PM
    Actually this Mogul is 30% smaller than the 6700 and by most reports I have seen who own a Treo and Mogul say the Mogul is the same size or even a little smaller. Maybe because you have big hands that it is harder to use. I personally have very small hands (thanks I am sure to my mom) and find it very comfortable.

...........but with that said, this is a total personal perspective issue. Even if everyone had the same size hands, either other personal will like the feel of it in their hands or will hate it.
    Will most absolutely agree with Hobbes as my hands are small too. But more important i think is the comment related to the Mogul's size in comparison to a Treo; the Mogul feels very much smaller perhaps due to its more narrow profile (width as opposed to depth). Regardless, while much improved it's still a bit clunky/bulky in pocket for my tastes.
    08-06-2007 05:44 PM
    dialing via the onscreen keypad requires a touch of patience on the user's part. i've noticed that you cannot press the number keys very quickly. if i do it seems to miss the number completely.
    08-06-2007 07:28 PM
    the speaker (phone) does an excellent job in my opinion, it's quite loud, one of the louder ones that i have heard.
    08-06-2007 07:49 PM
    If you disable the dialing tones you can dial very quickly...takes away all dialing delays.
    08-06-2007 07:56 PM
    good to know, thanks, Stroths
    08-06-2007 08:15 PM
    is anyone here running Goodlink on their Mogul? i'll give the other boards a check as well.

thanks in advance
    08-06-2007 08:16 PM
    at the end of the day i'm simply not satisfied with the memory (management, lack thereof) and hesitation of the device, and i'm not into the 3rd party device/hack scene. i need Goodlink for my email purposes (if it's not a Blackberry device) and i know what kind of a memory hog that program can be so it's really not going to work out in the end. awesome feature set for certain, looks good too. would rather have a smaller device for my daily purposes while giving up some of the features. again, i could see how some would absolutely love it as it has a ton going for it.

back to Sprint it goes, nice job by HTC.
    Last edited by oalvarez; 08-06-2007 at 09:17 PM.
    08-06-2007 08:52 PM
215 ... 56789
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD