HTC Mogul owners: How do you like it?

aznmode

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
I am thinking about a Mogul - I have about 7-8 numbers that I call alot, otherwise, I don't mind looking up someone in contacts with two hands. Does this Contact-ing program allow you to set up multiple contacts to choose with one touch or one D-pad push? If so, how many can you set up?

Contact-ing lite and Contact-ing Pro allows you to have as many photo contact you want. You just press the right arrow advance to the right to view the rest of your contacts. You can set it up to view larger icon which allows you to view 5 icon or small icon and view up to 7.

nsxprime

Dec 15, 2006
Visit site
I am thinking about a Mogul - I have about 7-8 numbers that I call alot, otherwise, I don't mind looking up someone in contacts with two hands. Does this Contact-ing program allow you to set up multiple contacts to choose with one touch or one D-pad push? If so, how many can you set up?

Why not just install smartskey and use the quick dial option? You can set each D-pad direction to do a certain function: call log, quick dial list, contacts and messaging

aznmode

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
Installed Contact-ing Lite, is working well... thanks for the lead aznmode.

np. you might wanna try the pro version. you can categorize some of your contacts and it will separate them by tabs on top of the icons. quick access to your friends, family, etc.

Scott R

Oct 29, 2001
tapland.com
I think today is the day that I have to decide whether or not to keep the Mogul. My two weeks are up. Ugh. In terms of overall out-of-the-box and usability experience, I think my Palm OS Treo 700p is a better device for me. But I like the idea of playing around with .NET and creating some apps, and I've seen/used enough 3rd party / hobbyist apps for the Mogul to know that the experience could be improved. I don't like the keyboard and prefer the SPB virtual keyboard, so that means that the added thickness becomes even more irksome. Plus, I found when holding it for a while that it wasn't as comfortable to hold as the 700p due to the latter's more contoured back (the back of the Mogul has "sharper" edges where it meets the sides).

Overall, I think what I really want (in terms of technology that's available today) is a Vogue. If there was definitive information that it would be coming to Sprint in the next couple of months I'd return the Mogul and wait for that. But there's no solid info, and even some suggestions that it won't be coming to Sprint at all, so where does that leave me? :(

HobbesIsReal#WP

May 2, 2004
www.wmexperts.com
If you bought your phone directly from Sprint, you should have 30 days instead of 2 weeks to decide. If you bought thru 3rd party dealer, then you might have 2 weeks with their sales contract.

I can see how the Treo would be a better fit to many....but I personally would have a very hard time going back to Palm OS...at least until it gets an update. Just for the fact of not being able to truly MultiTask. This has become my daily life of using my phone. i.e. have GPS going, playing MP3 music, while forwarding on an email after I opened and edited the spreadsheet in ClearVue Spreadsheet, and all the while still know that my GPS is keeping track of where my fellow DM is driving. All along having multiple BT devices...my BT headset, BT mouse, BT Keyboard (great while someone else is driving with the phone in it's windshield holder and I need to type an email), BT GPS.

As always concerns with keyboard form factor and layout is nothing more than personal preference (unless the keyboard actually falls off). I personally found the keyboard on my Mogul to be very comfortable. And this was a concern I was seriously wonder if I would have before I bought the phone. But I like the feel of it, the way it sits in my hands when extended, and the room that it offers (aka nice sized keys).

I certainly would not automatically recommend the Mogul to any user, just like I would never automatically offer any phone to everyone. I would ask what they want to do with it. If all they want is web, phone, and MP3 and nothing more I would tell them to check out the iPhone. If they have business needs, then I would recommend either the windows based Treo or the Mogul depending on their personal preference on form factor.

I myself after 4 days I am very happy with my Mogul. I wish they put in 128 mb of memory, but I do have 20+ mb of ram after all plugins and OS are loaded so it has not been an issue yet and I have tried to push it to test it. Other than that, there is little doubt I am destined to have a great relationship with my new found friend.

Last edited:

HobbesIsReal#WP

May 2, 2004
www.wmexperts.com
There has been some concerns expressed in this thread about WM not being user friendly or wanting it more one handed friendly. A lot of these concerns are there simply because many people who may have had limited experience with WM phones don't realize what is really available out of the box and what tools you can add to help a great deal. This thread is older now, but still has some great tips and tricks that might help:

WM Easy of Use / One Hand Tips Thread

Scott R

Oct 29, 2001
tapland.com
I did buy it directly from Sprint. How can I confirm how much time I have to decide whether to keep it or return it? Do I need to call them or is there somewhere on the website that I can see it in writing? FWIW, I got an "upgrade" price ($399) by re-upping for 2 years, in case that has any impact on the length of my trial period.

I'd love to have another week or two to play with it before deciding for sure.

Scott R

Oct 29, 2001
tapland.com
Thanks Hobbes. After reading your post, I did some searches on the the SprintUsers forum and saw mention of 30 days there as well. I remember having 14 days to try out a phone with Verizon a while back and assumed it was about the same. Good news.

PS - Please let us know if you hear any news about a Sprint release date for the Vogue or a 320x320 WM Treo.

Scott R

Oct 29, 2001
tapland.com
bubbatex, FCC approval does not guarantee that a phone will be released by a US carrier. And if it was to be released, it's possible that it could be released on Verizon only. The Vogue is appealing to me, but it's not appealing enough for me to leave Sprint for.

I've said it before, though (probably in this thread)...the Vogue is nice but I really want more than that in this day and age (and with the iPhone as competition). Specifically, I'd like to see a variation of the Vogue with a 3.5" or so screen and a resolution of 640x480 or higher. 320x240 is looking rather low-res these days, especially now that the iPhone is out.

bubbatex

Apr 3, 2006
Visit site
Scott - All true - but it is more information than we had before. I would bet that Sprint will have this phone. However, when is a big question. The PDA market is hot and both VZW and Sprint realize they have to keep up with AT&T now that the iFun is out and hot. I believe we will see more choices (and quicker intros) at Sprint. I have been there for years myself and I ain't leaving. I think it is Mogul or 8830 for me as my Q is getting very old - OK, "tired". I am the one getting old.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Evidence points to a couple of things for Sprint:

- Treo 800w with 320x320
- That Treo or another may have WiMax
- Vogue is probably heading to only Verizon

The first to options are both enticing for myself, maybe not others.

bubbatex

Apr 3, 2006
Visit site
- Vogue is probably heading to only Verizon

Darn it - as soon as I typed that "I bet", I just knew you would see this and blow that out of the water! I should clear all of these opinions with you first! LOL ;)

(PS - That Mogul is luring me.... I get a few hours of hands on tomorrow with a friends. We'll see....)

nsxprime

Dec 15, 2006
Visit site
I can see how the Treo would be a better fit to many....but I personally would have a very hard time going back to Palm OS...at least until it gets an update. Just for the fact of not being able to truly MultiTask. This has become my daily life of using my phone. i.e. have GPS going, playing MP3 music, while forwarding on an email after I opened and edited the spreadsheet in ClearVue Spreadsheet, and all the while still know that my GPS is keeping track of where my fellow DM is driving.

Remember that PalmOS can do almost everything that you just mentioned. Push email and music are both done in the background (multitasking) of spreadsheet editing or BT GPS.

Why did they cripple the Mogul's RAM? What's the point of having a true, multitasking OS if you can't stand to have more than 2 programs open because you run out of memory?

Once they fix the BT bug on the Mogul, I'll be getting one. I had to return my first one because BT headsets can't be used with the phone yet.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Darn it - as soon as I typed that "I bet", I just knew you would see this and blow that out of the water! I should clear all of these opinions with you first! LOL ;)

(PS - That Mogul is luring me.... I get a few hours of hands on tomorrow with a friends. We'll see....)
lol, yeah the BoyGeniusReports Vogue is for Verizon and Sprint passed, at least that was that last I heard.

Give the Mogul a shot, you have 30 days...why not? Maybe it'll work out!

Personally? I'm holding for the 800w and a Foleo.

If the 800w has WiMax...my god, that will be an amazing device. :thumbsup:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven