HTC Mogul owners: How do you like it?

jaak3

Nov 20, 2002
Visit site
Would be interested in your feedback on the build quality on the Mogul. I still have reservations on that back cover.
Off the phone, the cover does indeed feel very thin and flimsy. But, on the phone, it feels fine (not super solid, but just like any other average phone).

TreoNewt

Jun 3, 2006
Visit site
HobbesIsReal;1318193[B said:
Jabra 8010......[/B]In a normal enviroment, it is crisp and clear on both ends with no issues. The volume on my end is more than plenty loud. I usually keep my volume to around 1/2 (but will probably range from 40-60%). When using it for stereo I have yet to turn it up full volume, even while riding in a car.

Hobbes thanks for the details. Among all the BT units I have used, the Jabra BT250v gives me the best volume and connection. Motorola OTOH has for me the worst volume and performance. I may give this one a try.

@bubbatex - the battery cover on the 6800 is really flimsy; the real danger is if you try to do a quick battery exchange, you may damage it if not careful.

Agree with jaak3, once installed is not a major issue, installing it demands some finesse.

bubbatex

Apr 3, 2006
Visit site
Thanks TN & jaak3. TN - I have a Moto H500 and don't like it at all. I don't even use BT on my Q with it even though the Q has good BT.

I am going to the Sprint store today to play around with the Mogul and the 8830. However, after doing a master reset and rebuild on my Q this weekend, she seems to be running better - which may put off my decision for another couple of months.

bubbatex

Apr 3, 2006
Visit site
OK, I forget how nicely sized the Mogul is until I see it each time. I keep on thinking it is going to be bigger. I really like the fact that it is not as wide as the Q (and only about 2mm thicker since I have a 2100 battery on my Q). I also don't see that big of problem doing some quick dialing from the screen. Maybe you have to push, or poke, one or two more buttons, but it seemed fairly easy to me. Also kind of nice to have a touchscreen again. I made a call to my wife and the earpiece volume sounded just like my Q to me - and she said I sounded the same. I am liking it!

Now, as far as the 8830 goes - it is wider than the Q and I just don't like the interface or trackball that well - nor the keyboard (now I understand what folks are talking about that don't like the 8830's kb). I guess I am just "stuck" in the WM world now. WM just feels more comfortable to me than POS or BB.

Getting close to being time to "release my inner CEO".....

TreoNewt

Jun 3, 2006
Visit site
Getting close to being time to "release my inner CEO".....

Excellent!!!

I have tried several Motorola BT headsets - mostly with Treo 700p - found those to have more problems connecting with the phone and the earpiece volume for me was way too low. The last two I tried if I recall were the H300, H500 and the H700.

The headset I currently use is the Jabra BT250v, does anyone has experience with the BT500?

Schwartz

Apr 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm sorely tempted by the Mogul, esp since adding a SERO plan ($30) costs the same as adding T-Mobile's data plan. I haven't had time to make it down to the store, could someone please post a picture of a Mogul next to a Treo (650,700 series)?? i would greatly appreciate it. In my mind it seems large though the specs indicate its smaller than a Treo.

thanks

bubbatex

Apr 3, 2006
Visit site
I'm sorely tempted by the Mogul, esp since adding a SERO plan ($30) costs the same as adding T-Mobile's data plan. I haven't had time to make it down to the store, could someone please post a picture of a Mogul next to a Treo (650,700 series)?? i would greatly appreciate it. In my mind it seems large though the specs indicate its smaller than a Treo.

thanks

Picts here:

http://www.mobiletechreview.com/phones/HTC-Mogul.htm

Schwartz

Apr 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for the link. I went to the Sprint store to check it out today but it was chained and bolted to the display stand with a huge steel frame. When I asked to see it unencumbered he handed me a PPC-6700. I had to explain to him that the Mogul was a new model and different from the 6700. Then he said he couldn't take out the steel contraption. He also had no idea what EvDO or wireless data was. This was in a Sprint Corporate store. Yikes, I guess I've been spoiled by T-Mobile.

Anyway, would anyone care to comment about the voice quality / volume? I have a Treo 650 and the volume is abysmal even with VolumeCare. I utterly despise it as a phone. I read some complaints on ppcgeeks about low earpiece volume on the Mogul. They also claimed the speakerphone was next to useless and that bluetooth was broken. Any truth to that?

aznmode

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
Coming for a 700p with Volumecare, it definitely doesnt compare. But the Mogul earpiece is adequate. Unless I'm in a club or bar then I have a harder time hearing people but everywhere else is great. No problem while driving even though my car produces alot of road noise. After about a month and a half of owning it my ear have adjusted. sometimes i think its too loud. The speaker is loud enough as well. It isn't as loud as the Treo and if you put too much bass when listening to music it crackles. My treo with volume care was very loud in this department. but rarely do i even need to use the speaker phone that loud unless im playing music.

There have been reports of BT issue and I do experience it from time to time where callers would keep asking me to repeat. It doesnt happen all the time though. There is supposedly a minor fix if you paired your BT 20 to 40 feet away from the phone to get a better channel. I've never tried it.

nsxprime

Dec 15, 2006
Visit site
Anyway, would anyone care to comment about the voice quality / volume? I have a Treo 650 and the volume is abysmal even with VolumeCare. I utterly despise it as a phone. I read some complaints on ppcgeeks about low earpiece volume on the Mogul. They also claimed the speakerphone was next to useless and that bluetooth was broken. Any truth to that?

Stay away from the Mogul then. Everything that you read is true. The earpiece is soft, the speakerphone is weak and the BT doesn't work reliably. Sprint and HTC know about the BT problems but the other two you'll probably have to live with.

HobbesIsReal#WP

May 2, 2004
www.wmexperts.com
Here is what said earlier in this thread:

HobbesIsReal said:
The phone itself.......I cannot honestly say the sound quality is the best, nor certainly is it the worst that I have experienced. The speaker phone is certainly more tinny sounding than my 6600 and not quite as loud. My 6600 certainly was louder in the earpiece as well. Just like my 6600, I can talk in a really noisy enviroment, but have to strain to hear and sometimes have to repeat to be understood. I think it is a matter of doing too good of a job picking up the background noise along with my voice.
SPEAKER: My speaker is loud enough that I always keep my system sounds at around 50% or 60%. Besides not sounding as full range, the volume on my speakerphone is very adequate. I was training a fellow District Manager this last week and had to use my speakerphone for several conference calls. It may not have raised the bar above any other phone I have had, but it did everything I could want or expect.

RINGING: As far as ring volume, I have had phones that have been louder and some that have not. I use my own personalized ringtones that I have made louder which certainly helps. Because the speaker on the Mogul is not as full range sounding as others, like my 6600, I had to reduce some the volumes of the ringer sound files to make sure it did not sound distorted on the Mogul. If you are interested in making louder ringtones this thread might help:

EARPIECE: As far as volume while talking on the phone, again I have other phones that have been louder, but unless I am in a really noisy enviroment, I have never had an issue of being able to hear anyone. It does have "feature" that makes you hear a little bit of your voice in the earpiece as you use the actual phone to talk. This is suppose to help you not talk too loud during conversations. I found it very odd at first, but didn't even really notice after a few days. Truthfully I use my Jabra 8010 BT headset about 80% of the time without and concerns, so I only use the phone earpiece 10-20% of the time anyways.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
well, i broke down and purchased a Mogul for the purposes of giving it a try to see if i prefer it to carrying/using the Blackberry Pearl. will most likely have our IT department load Goodlink on it as well but for the time being i'll simply synch it with the desktop at home and work.

regards

ScandaLeX

Jan 29, 2004
Visit site
This concerns me. Can any other Mogul users comment on this? Thanks.

I dont have anything negative to say about the Mogul's BT. Its not 100%, but I've used it to talk on the phone with people who only use basic cell phones w/ a BT headset, and more times than I can count, they are the ones sounding like thy're under water.

My lineup consisted of the Treo 600 > 650 > 700p > 6700 > 6800. I used the 6700 for 5 months before buying the Mogul. I read someone say that the Mogul was cumbersome. IMO, the 6700 was bigger than my bed. There is a HUGE difference in size while holding the Mogul. If I had decided not to keep the Mogul, I dont think I could go back to the 6700 simply because the thing WITHOUT the big fat extended battery is just way too big.

Yes, I had to do some minor tweaking to my Mogul. The performance is pretty fast. But the battery is horrible. It wont make it throughout an entire day without having to be charged. I plug it in every night, remove it from charger, go to work and by noon, Im down to 60% with only having made one call.

I live in PhiLLy and couldnt find one Mogul for sale in any of the Sprint stores; but while on vacation in this little town in Kansas, I find TWO of them at one Sprint store. Paid for one of them right then and there, swapped ESN's and was up and running in no time flat.

Last edited:

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
well, i broke down and purchased a Mogul for the purposes of giving it a try to see if i prefer it to carrying/using the Blackberry Pearl. will most likely have our IT department load Goodlink on it as well but for the time being i'll simply synch it with the desktop at home and work.

regards

dislikes so far:

-no automatic screen orientation without opening the keyboard (is this right?)

-resolution...could be better but it is acceptable (spoiled by the Pearl and iPhone)

-browser experience (spoiled by the iPhone) but better than Blazer

-the almost unaccessable scroll bars (i refuse to use a stylus) when wanting to quickly jump to the top/bottom of a page

-navigating within the user interface and menus...a bit clumsy and busy, requires many button pushes to get to areas ("Settings" is just a button push away on the iPhone and everything is on a single page...i like that)

-12.76mb ram remaining with only Internet Explorer and Email open in the background....and i still don't have Goodlink installed which eats a lot of memory (always on).....used the camera and had only 10mb left.....ok'd out of the programs and it became slightly hesitant going back to the Today/Home screen

-lots of buttons, gadgety aspect of it

-sliding out the keyboard to type....also feels like the sliding mechanism will become loose with time but only time will tell there.

likes so far:

-phone/earpiece volume is plenty loud

-screen brightness is adequate

-screen size.....much better than a Treo and my Pearl

-EVDO is nice

-wifi

-spacious keyboard...i have no trouble typing on it, but then again, i don't have any real trouble typing on my Pearl (tiny, requires a bit more attention) or iPhone. the typing experience is a very positive one. i like the keyboard layout as well.

-form factor.....small footprint, not too bulky....more pocketable than a Treo (in my estimation).

-camera functionality and related options/settings

-outlook email (attachments)

-one handedness believe it or not

-gadgety aspect of it (yep, a dislike as well)

-bells and whistles...lots of stuff to fiddle with

-much improved Sprint reception/coverage at my home and place of work

will continue to add/subtract as i go along......one thing i am absolutely certain of; there is nothing like the user or internet browsing experience that the iPhone offers. the other thing you might note is that i didn't mention 3rd party applications or an open file system because those truly aren't needs/requirements of mine on a WM device (with the exception of Goodlink). again, these are just my opinions and thoughts.

regards

Last edited:

HobbesIsReal#WP

May 2, 2004
www.wmexperts.com
There some easy fixes to some of the concerns you have that might help you out quite a bit.

dislikes so far:

-no automatic screen orientation without opening the keyboard (is this right?)
You can assign any hardbutton to to this. For example if I was going to do this I would personally assign the Comm Manager button to switch orientation.

-resolution...could be better but it is acceptable (spoiled by the Pearl and iPhone)
Not much can be done about that.

-browser experience (spoiled by the iPhone) but better than Blazer
You need to check out Opra Mini browser. It is fast has a cool zoom feature and takes litterally only a miniscule of a fraction of memory when compared to IE viewing the same page. To get the scoop on it go here:

opera mini 4 is AMAZINGLY FAST

-the almost unaccessable scroll bars (i refuse to use a stylus) when wanting to quickly jump to the top/bottom of a page
You can change the size of the scroll bars to any size you would like:

Navigate to HKey_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\GWE\ and tweak the following values.
cyHScr : Horizontal Scrollbars Height in pixels (default is 13)
cxVScr : Vertical Scrollbars Width in pixels (default is 13)​

-navigating within the user interface and menus...a bit clumsy and busy, requires many button pushes to get to areas ("Settings" is just a button push away on the iPhone and everything is on a single page...i like that)
The solution to is simply software. That is what makes the iPhone so cool. Over at XDA they are working an bringing over the HTC Touch to the Titan, which will give you a lot of the same navigational benefits of the iPhone. Until then....

I keep mine looking simple with an overview at a glance and most used contacts and programs only 1 -2 clicks away with my finger (not a stylus). My set up is extremely one handed to call the top 10 people I call the most (which could easily be set up to be twice that). Since making calls and emails are my two vital functions I have picture dialing to make it easy with SBP Shell, easy access to contact search with SBP Contacts, and all my emails always displayed with PocketBreeze......with an overview of them all with SPB Phone Suite.

With SBP Shell I have a tab with my most common links a finger touch away. I have settings there, fav games, and most used programs.

I also used Resco File Explorer and manually created some organization to my Program Menu Folders. This is truly a necessity with me with the collection of programs and games I have acquired over the years.

Here are some screen shots:

Screen001.jpg
Screen007.jpg
Screen004.jpg
11118d1185011793-post-your-todayscreen-page-pics-screen007.png
Screen008.jpg

-12.76mb ram remaining with only Internet Explorer and Email open in the background....and i still don't have Goodlink installed which eats a lot of memory (always on).....used the camera and had only 10mb left.....ok'd out of the programs and it became slightly hesitant going back to the Today/Home screen
For memory hog IE see the Opra Mini link above.

I agree there should have been no doubt HTC should have but 125 mb or RAM in there. But the only time I have found myself in any danger of running out of memory is with using IE. Memmaid can do a lot to free up mem and manage it. Here is also a good thread on mem management over XDA:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=319580

-lots of buttons, gadgety aspect of it
IMHO, I always view having buttons available to map to your most favorite apps as a pro. You can even reg had the soft keys to launch anything you want:

Create the following keys and Strings in the registry:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Today\Keys\112
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Today\Keys\113
112 is the left key and 113 is the right.
Set Default to what you want the key to read (ie. SMS)
Now for each key create a new string named Open and set the target path.​

-sliding out the keyboard to type....also feels like the sliding mechanism will become loose with time but only time will tell there.
So far the general feedback is overwhelmingly positive about the stability of the keyboard. But as you stated only time will tell.

I hope this helps.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
it does help, and i know many of us look to you as the authority on these ppc devices and especially the slideouts.

thanks very much for taking the time to post the links and the like, much appreciated. i will try and make use out of them.

as for the device, i can see how it would be just perfect for that someone with real "office" type needs/requirements, HTC did a good job in its design. i'd carry the Mogul (given my needs/wants/desires) over the current Treo lineup all day long.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
ok, big time gripe....2+ mb of ram left which has basically rendered PIE useless. here is what is open:

java
comm manager
internet explorer
email
camera

that is what really truly bugs me about the WM operating system. symbian, apple, i'm sure they have their problems, but i yet to experience this type of issue on my own Pearl and iPhone. it's issues such as these that make me want to return the device, tomorrow. and all of this without even having Goodlink running in the background. not right.

nsxprime

Dec 15, 2006
Visit site
ok, big time gripe....2+ mb of ram left which has basically rendered PIE useless. here is what is open:

java
comm manager
internet explorer
email
camera

that is what really truly bugs me about the WM operating system. symbian, apple, i'm sure they have their problems, but i yet to experience this type of issue on my own Pearl and iPhone. it's issues such as these that make me want to return the device, tomorrow. and all of this without even having Goodlink running in the background. not right.
HTC went cheap on the memory and we're paying the price.

ScandaLeX

Jan 29, 2004
Visit site
BT is terrible. RAM is pathetic. Screen is pretty. Overall a sluggish device.

I returned it after 18 days. Have an iPhone now. Very happy. Not trolling, just stating my Mogul experience. WM6 seems to be a skin, not the OS overhaul we wanted. Issues still very apparent.

If Sprint had the iPhone, I would have jumped on it. Im not considering any other carrier because I dont see them giving me all that I have now with my plan for the same price.

ScandaLeX

Jan 29, 2004
Visit site
Excellent!!!

I have tried several Motorola BT headsets - mostly with Treo 700p - found those to have more problems connecting with the phone and the earpiece volume for me was way too low. The last two I tried if I recall were the H300, H500 and the H700.

The headset I currently use is the Jabra BT250v, does anyone has experience with the BT500?

Im currently using the BT250V. I've noticed that I have to wear it on my left side. I had the thing in my right ear and couldnt hear over the static. I tried a coworkers BT500 and although I wasnt doing any moving around at the time, I can say that the sound (on both sides) was crystal.

I've held off on buying the BT500 because I do prefer the vibrate of the 250V. The BT500V seems to only be available through online retailers. Its the only one that I've come across that has 12 hr talk time and 300 hrs standby. I would like to try the 500V, but I want to be able to walk into a store and buy it, and if I doesnt meet my needs, return it instead of going through the hassle of returning something that was purchased online.

Its my understanding that the BT5020 is the 500V successor, but I havent come across any reviews of this headset used with the Mogul; then again, I havent really had a lot of time to look.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos