HTC Mogul owners: How do you like it?

Schwartz

Apr 14, 2005
Visit site
Hey Schwartz, was (www.freewareppc) the deciding factor for you taking the plunge?

No the primary reason was because our corporate IM application (Sametime) only runs on WM, Symbian, or Blackberry. I have a Pearl, but I don't want to pay the extortionate fees for a BES plan. I've had a Nokia 6620 and I'm not a big fan or Symbian, so I decided to give WM a try. I asked the Sametime dev team about PalmOS and they said they have no plans to support it because they don't see any future in it and they're waiting to see what happens with ALP or Palm's own Linux before committing development resources to it.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
good news: turned off bluetooth today and the battery device is close to 80% (without any use outside of hourly email polling) after 10 hours off of the charger.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
oalvarez,

that's weird about the BT. when paired, but not active, BT in WM should use virtually no power (ppc mag did a write up on it). I don't suppose you have "discovery" mode still on? that will drain the battery.

also, on a lot of WM devices, under Connections --> Beam, the default is On, make sure it is Off. that also uses a lot of power.

I've had BT on all day, hourly email, bi-hourly weather and about 1 hour RSS/internet time with 10 mins of phone use and I'm at 73% after 8 hours, but that's on a 700 obviously ...but just for analogy of consumption.

chong67

Mar 8, 2007
Visit site
I went back to the Sprint store to look at the Mogul again.

I must say if you dont have big hands, this Mogul is going to be hard for you to handle.

I got big hands. I can palm a basketball and can stretch to 8 piano keys and I find that the Mogul is very uncomfortable to handle when typing on the keypads.

nsxprime

Dec 15, 2006
Visit site
oalvarez,

that's weird about the BT. when paired, but not active, BT in WM should use virtually no power (ppc mag did a write up on it). I don't suppose you have "discovery" mode still on? that will drain the battery.

also, on a lot of WM devices, under Connections --> Beam, the default is On, make sure it is Off. that also uses a lot of power.

I've had BT on all day, hourly email, bi-hourly weather and about 1 hour RSS/internet time with 10 mins of phone use and I'm at 73% after 8 hours, but that's on a 700 obviously ...but just for analogy of consumption.
Don't forget about BT versions. If using a BT 1.1 or 1.2 headset, the battery life will be worse. Use a BT 2.0 headset for the best battery life.

HobbesIsReal#WP

May 2, 2004
www.wmexperts.com
On another note, I was on a call a few minutes ago. All of a freaking sudden, my Mogul turns off. I turn it back on and its quite obviously that the damned thing hard reset on its own.

Sprint customization is taking place as I type! WTF?

Now that this has happened, I'm wondering if I should have gotten the 755. Phones dont hard reset for nothing.
I frequent all the 6800 forums everyday and this is the first I have seen anyone post this. I think it is either a bad phone or some wierd conflict with a 3rd party software app.

HobbesIsReal#WP

May 2, 2004
www.wmexperts.com
I went back to the Sprint store to look at the Mogul again.

I must say if you dont have big hands, this Mogul is going to be hard for you to handle.

I got big hands. I can palm a basketball and can stretch to 8 piano keys and I find that the Mogul is very uncomfortable to handle when typing on the keypads.
Actually this Mogul is 30% smaller than the 6700 and by most reports I have seen who own a Treo and Mogul say the Mogul is the same size or even a little smaller. Maybe because you have big hands that it is harder to use. I personally have very small hands (thanks I am sure to my mom) and find it very comfortable.

...........but with that said, this is a total personal perspective issue. Even if everyone had the same size hands, every other personal will like the feel of it in their hands or while the other half will hate it.

Last edited:

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
oalvarez,

Thanks Mal, that was the culprit. I had inadvertently left the pairing ("visible to others") on after having paired it with the Pearl.

Huge difference indeed.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
Actually this Mogul is 30% smaller than the 6700 and by most reports I have seen who own a Treo and Mogul say the Mogul is the same size or even a little smaller. Maybe because you have big hands that it is harder to use. I personally have very small hands (thanks I am sure to my mom) and find it very comfortable.

...........but with that said, this is a total personal perspective issue. Even if everyone had the same size hands, either other personal will like the feel of it in their hands or will hate it.

Will most absolutely agree with Hobbes as my hands are small too. But more important i think is the comment related to the Mogul's size in comparison to a Treo; the Mogul feels very much smaller perhaps due to its more narrow profile (width as opposed to depth). Regardless, while much improved it's still a bit clunky/bulky in pocket for my tastes.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
dialing via the onscreen keypad requires a touch of patience on the user's part. i've noticed that you cannot press the number keys very quickly. if i do it seems to miss the number completely.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
at the end of the day i'm simply not satisfied with the memory (management, lack thereof) and hesitation of the device, and i'm not into the 3rd party device/hack scene. i need Goodlink for my email purposes (if it's not a Blackberry device) and i know what kind of a memory hog that program can be so it's really not going to work out in the end. awesome feature set for certain, looks good too. would rather have a smaller device for my daily purposes while giving up some of the features. again, i could see how some would absolutely love it as it has a ton going for it.

back to Sprint it goes, nice job by HTC.

Last edited:

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
You can use BB Connect with WM6.

thanks for this, i have asked my IT department about this as well. i did a bit of reading on the RIM/Blackberry site, it's not entirely obvious (to the non-techie) what it does. does BB Connect simply push email to a non-blackberry device via the BES? we have both BES and Goodlink at work but Goodlink is simply too much of a memory hog and most likely slow down the operating speed of the Mogul (which i have yet to return). i need to be able to see my entire inbox and its subfolders (or at least choose which folders the BES redirects mail from) for my email needs to be met. would the Mogul coupled with BB Connect allow for this?

thanks in advance

Scott R

Oct 29, 2001
tapland.com
Well I should probably give Sprint a call and see if I'm still allowed to return my 6800 (and, if so, when the deadline is). I got mine over a month ago but I nver activated it (I've still been using my Treo 700p as my daily phone). In my first week or so of owning it I loaded a couple of iPhone-clone apps and was semi-happy with the potential of finger-friendly usability. Recently I had some car problems combined with being really busy at work, so the 6800 sat on a shelf for a while.

Now I've got a new car and I want to hook up something to the stereo and have GPS, MP3, and speakerphone functionality. I got my wife a Motorola T305 Bluetooth speakerphone gadget and have been happy with the sound quality (but it sometimes doesn't connect - a problem likely more due to the 650 and 700p than the Motorola T305).

Although I've got a separate Bluetooth GPS device and own the TomTom software, I see that dedicated GPS units have gotten better and cheaper. There are units from Mio and Harmon Kardon that offer large screens (e.g., 4.3"), MP3 functionality, and (in the case of the Mio) Bluetooth speakerphone functionality, for about $300. I'd love to use my 6800 for those purposes, but the small screen (2.8") will make for more difficult finger-poking while in the car, and I suspect that the speakerphone loudness won't compare to the Motorola T305 (or possibly the Mio GPS unit - I don't know how good the quality of its speakerphone is).

I don't suppose any of you have attempted to use the 6800 for the purposes I've described? If so, please post your experiences.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
well, for me, many finger presses would yield bad results and the scroll bars i found less than friendly. the mogul's ear and speaker volume were beyond adequate, quite good in fact. as for the bluetooth headsets i still do not use them so i can't comment on them. the memory and girth of the device didn't do it for me.

take care

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99